Topic: Hans Device from overseas

Are there any U.S specific marking on a HANS device that would fail gear tech if not present?

This U.K website has the best prices for a HANS, even with the exchange rate and shipping.
http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/hans-devices-2

Re: Hans Device from overseas

I ordered my Hans from them, arrived in 3 days.  I did get a bill from UPS for another $15 but still a lot cheaper than here in the states

autox124 wrote:

Are there any U.S specific marking on a HANS device that would fail gear tech if not present?

This U.K website has the best prices for a HANS, even with the exchange rate and shipping.
http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/hans-devices-2

I bought a HANS Sport II from there and used it at the race last weekend.  Same HANS, just lower priced.  It does not come with Studs.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

4 (edited by autox124 2016-03-21 02:06 PM)

Thanks for the replies
To clarify my question, I believe that Europe doesn't use the SFI ratings, just FIA.
Does Lemons care that it doesn't have a SFI 38.1 sticker?
How does one go about getting it recertified in the US after a few years without the SFI label?

3.B.2 Neck Brace/Helmet Support. All drivers must wear SFI 38.1-rated or FIA 8858-rated head-and-neck protection.

As for Re-cert, I guess send it back to HANS/Simpson?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

You can send it to Simpson or to a recertification capable dealer - http://hansdevice.com/Recertify.html. I used the dealer in Indiana, quite happy with their service

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

I also got mine in the UK through the same store, and posts through Racer Parts Wholesale.

UK stores sells FIA certified HANS, not SFI.  FIA have no expiration dates.  Lemons, and most other series accept either one and don't care which one you have, so I would say, don't bother with the SFI certificate.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Thanks for the help all.
Ended up buying from here for $279
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor … ans-device
Hope shipping doesn't take too long

Line under the pic says it WILL NOT be shipped to the USA

MBTL Racing

autox124 wrote:

Thanks for the replies
To clarify my question, I believe that Europe doesn't use the SFI ratings, just FIA.
How does one go about getting it recertified in the US after a few years without the SFI label?

there are a lot of un-happy guys that have bought cheaper units from overseas. The ratings are not the same.  We bought ours used on e-bay and just replaced the straps. Not sure how you'd get them re-cert'd w/o sending it back to the factory.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:
autox124 wrote:

Thanks for the replies

there are a lot of un-happy guys that have bought cheaper units from overseas. The ratings are not the same.  We bought ours used on e-bay and just replaced the straps. Not sure how you'd get them re-cert'd w/o sending it back to the factory.

To be clear, the HANS I received from JJC (which I think is also Demontweaks) says FIA 8858-2010 on the collar dated Jan 2016.  The strap says both FIA 8858-2010 and SFI 38.1 and is dated 2016. That matches the Lemons rules.

3.B.2 Neck Brace/Helmet Support. All drivers must wear SFI 38.1-rated or FIA 8858-rated head-and-neck protection.

I used it at the Lemons Inde race and my head did not fall off.  YMMV.

12 (edited by billybobster 2016-04-01 12:54 PM)

I suspect the reason that HANS devices are cheaper in the UK is not due to the devices being different there, rather different application of laws regarding minimum retail prices in the UK and US. Despite the practice of a manufacturer enforcing a minimum price being illegal in both countries, the fact that a HANS Sport Series II is $549 everywhere in US suggests Simpson is enforcing a minimum regardless and getting away with it. Also, Demon Tweeks not selling HANS into the US is likely a result of a Simpson contractual provision.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

I ordered and received 2 of the medium HANS sport II systems. They shipped very fast, and have FIA 8858-2010 stamped on them and SFI spec on the straps, and dated March 2016. There are going to be no problems with tech inspection

I wondering if anyone can confirm the serial numbers?
Mine are Y20MSII/OK/21025

The reason I ask is that it feels tighter/smaller than I was expecting, and the Y in front of the serial number is making me think it could be a youth size.

14 (edited by billybobster 2016-04-21 08:06 PM)

My serial number is X20MS/OJ/23003. It's a 20 degree Medium Sport model (about 6 years old - been through a recert). Says 20MS on the back. And it's definitely not an XL (if they make those). So I'd say the X or Y aren't size indicators. Mine's a tight fit going on, even with my skinny neck, but that may be a trait of the older design. It feels good on track. In fact better than not wearing it because the HANS prevents belt/neck chafing. And head separation from spine (ow!).

I bought mine last year....Size large......Manufacture  date June 2015...
Serial # Y20LSII/OK/13431
I don't think the 'Y' refers to youth.....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

16 (edited by SwarlesInCharge 2021-05-05 11:24 AM)

Guildenstern wrote:

I bought mine in 2015 (and used 5 races thus far). I sent it to simpson and was informed since it is FIA they can't recert but are updating the tether.

Is that fine for Lemons? I could post on the group for Pagel approval but want to be sure.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

SwarlesInCharge wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

I bought mine in 2015 (and used 5 races thus far). I sent it to simpson and was informed since it is FIA they can't recert but are updating the tether.

Is that fine for Lemons? I could post on the group for Pages approval but want to be sure.

Which Simpson?  I sent mine, which was marked FIA, to the one in California and they put an SFI sticker on it and changed the tether.

rb92673 wrote:
SwarlesInCharge wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Is that fine for Lemons? I could post on the group for Pagel approval but want to be sure.

Which Simpson?  I sent mine, which was marked FIA, to the one in California and they put an SFI sticker on it and changed the tether.

Dang. The Texas one...

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

SwarlesInCharge wrote:
rb92673 wrote:
SwarlesInCharge wrote:

Dang. The Texas one...

Ask them to put a SFI sticker on it.