Topic: Cheap-A*s Phone Mounts to fit our1.75" / 2.8" roll cage bars?

We gutted our car to be super light. Now we would like to add back some gauges, ideally displayed by an old phone or tablet.

I can't seem to find a cheap way to mount a phone / tablet to our roll cage. Our bar across the front under the windshield is 2.8" diameter, and our cage is 1.75".

Most clamps I could find seem to be designed for bike / motorcycle handlebars and don't handle bars this wide.

I saw this from RAM mount, https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-231Z-2NUBU  , maybe there is a cheap(ish) neck and phone holder I could use with it?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Cheap-A*s Phone Mounts to fit our1.75" / 2.8" roll cage bars?

There's boatloads of these "universal" clamps that use rubber inserts to change the size it grabs. I've used them, they're fine? not great but fine.

https://www.amazon.com/LAMPHUS-Off-Road … amp;sr=8-6

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

What Chris just posted is exactly what we use to mount our Go Pros and our telemetry iPad in the car, they work great and are cheap.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Or if you want to go really cheap, a 1.75" muffler clamp around the cage and through a mounting plate made from old license plates (motorcycle plates are a good size, or fold car plates over).  Super sturdy and super cheap.

Sonic wrote:

What Chris just posted is exactly what we use to mount our Go Pros and our telemetry iPad in the car, they work great and are cheap.

@Sonic

Any chance you could share a pic or two on how the iPad is mounted to the mount and car?  We'd like to do the same thing for our next race.  Thanks.