Topic: ABS OR NON ABS

Its a honda civic and I was thinking the ABS would destroy the brakes like the Gimp Pimp Cadi sts did

So anyone run ABS ont the acura/honda cars?

I have enough honda carcasses to swap out brake lines .

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Re: ABS OR NON ABS

Care to go into detail about what happened on the Gimp Pimp Cadi? 

None of our Lemons cars have ABS but that's cause they're old and cheap.  Given a choice, I would run ABS.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

The ABS on our E30 quit working. Locked up the tires once or twice but otherwise it was fine.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

For most of the drivers and cars on this circuit, ABS would be a godsend. How many times have you seen someone lock it up going into a turn, resulting in an unintended off-roading excursion?

Heck, since brakes are free, I might even start looking for an ABS system to retrofit...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

The gimp pimp Cadi weighs 3800lbs and was going 115 mph down the front straight at Thill.
We were going to pull the  abs fuse but didn't know which one it was .
We also didn't know how to turn the traction control off which work using the ABS .so the Cadi went there a pair of rotors and pads every3 hours.Acually cut a cookie cutter perfect circle out of the brake pad . So Jay said in that car brembos would be a safety issue.

Screw it! I'm leaving the ABS in the car its only a 2000 lb car

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

Saying that the ABS caused the brake problems in that car is funny.  You're stopping two freaking tons of car from 115mph about every two minutes...

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I am not sure how or why ABS would screw a person.  I think it would help.

I do think ABS will get the most out of the brakes which means the most heat.  So you might have a greater need for a race pad on an ABS car.  The ABS should adjust the brakes to the tires.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

8 (edited by jimeditorial 2010-01-13 02:15 PM)

Say you're minding your own business zipping down the straight when a Volvo or MGB endos right in front of you..... strictly hypothetically of course........whatcha gonna do, modulate the brakes? With ABS you can stand on them and still have a little steering to dodge the flying parts, '67 Furys, E30's, Miatas etc. What you save in underwear makes up for pad wear. I'd leave it in..

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

9 (edited by sawinatthewheel 2010-01-13 04:20 PM)

Remember the three S's of abs in emergency situations...stab, stay, steer.   That is stab the brakes, stay on the brakes and steer.  What could be easier?

sawinatthewheel...sometimes too much, sometimes not enough...just like life

IMH ABS makes it easier to drive at the limit. Just press on the brake as hard as you can and let the microchips figure it out. Leaves more room for your brain to process other valuable information.

Non-ABS cars are for old guys.

sergio wrote:

I'm 37!  I'm not "old"!

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Cadillac Bob wrote:
sergio wrote:

I'm 37!  I'm not "old"!

Hell, my Lemons car is older than I am!

RobL wrote:

Saying that the ABS caused the brake problems in that car is funny.  You're stopping two freaking tons of car from 115mph about every two minutes...

The gimpo pimp also had the traction control on and  that applies the brake to keep traction,so that did n't help for brake wear

sergio wrote:

IMH ABS makes it easier to drive at the limit. Just press on the brake as hard as you can and let the microchips figure it out. Leaves more room for your brain to process other valuable information.

WOW!!!

Bumping this up, but here is a good point: If your car has integral ABS... like early 90s VW, lots of GMs, 90s Jags, etc... where there is no vacuum booster... you might be in for a world of hurt when the pump gives out after running for 5 hours straight. You'll loose power brakes. If I was going to use a car so equipped I would ditch the ABS and install a normal vacuum booster, or have a spare known good ABS pump available for when the one on the car craps out.

-Jason

1981ish VW Scirocco with the heart and brains of a 95 Jetta crammed in

A good driver can stop faster than a crappy ABS system...

I think you answered your own question.  The ABS didn't kill the brakes, the TC did.  The ABS works by decreasing brake force during impending lock-up.  The TC works by applying the brakes to stop wheel spin.  Theoretically ABS should reduce brake wear no?

priapism wrote:

A good driver can stop faster than a crappy ABS system...

Is there good drivers in Lemons?

Personally Id trust my left foot over any Lemons grade ABS system.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

Its factory honda ABS  its not like I took an ABS brake system out of another car to put in this one.

fabtoys wrote:
Tiptoe the rat wrote:

Its factory honda ABS  its not like I took an ABS brake system out of another car to put in this one.

I understand!  What I mean is that any ABS system on an older car had the potential to act a bit...well...lemony.  By that I mean its most likely gonna have issues as the old parts give up the ghost.  Also its been my experience that the Honda ABS is too intrusive.  I have run a Civic Si in AutoX and I got faster times after I pulled the ABS fuse out and just used my foot. 

So me personally Id get rid of the ABS,  me and the rest of my drivers are all used to cars/racing without ABS.

On the other hand if it rains ABS might very well be the ticket.  Also if your drivers are used to having ABS or are new to racing...it might also be a good idea to keep it.

Something to think about I guess!  For me the choice was simple...our Camaro barely came with brakes let alone anything fancy like ABS.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Maybe I'll put a switch to the ABS circuit

I think the caddy also has stability control which in a race would eat up the pads pretty fast!  but might come in handy when run off the course into the grass like I was one time....

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

fabtoys wrote:

Maybe I'll put a switch to the ABS circuit

that was our plan  a switch to turn it on if it rains   ( or snows) @ Gingerman

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

25 (edited by rockwood 2010-02-18 11:23 AM)

Some cars only had 2 channel ABS units in them (such as the B13 SE-R), so if you were to lift the LR tire, the FL tire would also lose braking ability.  Not the best situation while entering a corner whilst trailbraking.

If you have an SE-R, I would recommend removing it.  Not sure on Hondas.