Topic: How to find an 8-year-old car for $500

https://i.imgur.com/ApbBTcR.jpg

Straight off eBay while I was looking for social media fodder, I found a 2014 Kia Soul with a manual transmission that ended on $500. Why would that be? Well, it has 822 miles—or roughly about 1.5 Lemons races—left on the warranty. This Soul is also so cheap because dealerships can't sell manual cars at all, let alone a manual Soul that is a long-weekend road trip away from an expired warranty.This is begging someone either to BEAT THE SYSTEM/TEMPT FATE with a road car or to just race a Lemons car with a warranty. Either/or.

In the last year, I started saying in jest some time ago that Kia/Hyundai vehicles were totaled out by an oil change once they were out of warranty, but now I'm starting to believe it.

Where do these cars go once they're out of warranty? Do BHPH lots pick them up like this for pennies? Junkyards aren't filled with them yet...what the actual hell happens to these cars?

Bonus: Nissan Altima ads.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Re: How to find an 8-year-old car for $500

Oh yeah, here's the link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255558269244?h … SwTM1iZ1FV

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

3 (edited by chaase 2022-06-07 10:41 AM)

therood wrote:

Oh yeah, here's the link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255558269244?h … SwTM1iZ1FV

I think most people just drive them into the ground and they become one with the earth. With Hyundai (not sure about KIA, at least early on, the car was either terrible or fine. I've seen an Elantra run for like 10 years on just basic maintenance and others just fall apart. Their QC was not good so millions of cars would go out with problems that would normally be caught at 100k car mark at other manufacturers.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I assume the Hamsters (shown in the commercials) are not included? 

http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnfull/20110826/LA58241

I always find it funny that the target audience for these ads resulted in the total opposite of actual buyers.  If you see someone in a Kia Soul around here they are at least 65 years old, or older.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I'm guessing some of these dealerships aren't necessarily letting the cars go for $500 and fees. There's an entire gauntlet of seller protections that eBay offers that you can assure will not hold them to a bad deal. Also not sure that eBay lists if something was sold if it didn't reach reserve. Maybe that dealership just hasn't relisted it yet.

Our former next door neighbors were Romanian and had a fleet of kias (rio, spectra, sephia). Like 20 of them stacked on top of each other in an 8 car driveway. He worked on them all the time and was basically gifting them out to extended family. I'd imagine the Kia Soul falls under the same boat. Someone gets a totaled one and saves it from junkyard destruction as an ultra-low cost beater. Someone learns to work on them and starts their own fleet.

Will we luck out and get that type of deal for Lemons? It's possible.

Does anyone *really* want to test the waters and see just how butt terrible a kia soul would be at a race? Well, I'll raise a glass to the crazy person that does.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

6 (edited by VKZ24 2022-06-07 12:53 PM)

KeiCarMike wrote:

Does anyone *really* want to test the waters and see just how butt terrible a kia soul would be at a race?

Did you really just ask that?  Have you ever been to a Lemons race?  I've seen cars raced that I'd be scared to just drive to the local Wal-Mart!...LOL!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Did you really just ask that?  Have you ever been to a Lemons race?  I've seen cars raced that I'd be scared to just drive to the local Wal-Mart!...LOL!

LOL The Super GRover was far worse than any Kia ever made.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

KeiCarMike wrote:

I'm guessing some of these dealerships aren't necessarily letting the cars go for $500 and fees. There's an entire gauntlet of seller protections that eBay offers that you can assure will not hold them to a bad deal. Also not sure that eBay lists if something was sold if it didn't reach reserve. Maybe that dealership just hasn't relisted it yet.

This is probably right and it probably didn't sell, but that just means it ends up at auction? And then what?

In general, post-1998 (or so) Kias and Hyundais haven't been terrible in Lemons, but I've theorized that Hyundai hit a quality peak somewhere around like 1999-2005 and Kia maybe a year or two later (they weren't even in the US before 1996 or something)? Enough to convince people that Koreans could build cars that, while unexciting, would get the job done and last.

After they had established that, the 10/100K warranty really just became a numbers game. So you have to replace a few engines and pocket $15,000 of warranty work on a $20,000 car one time out of every 20? Well, in the end, an industrial giant like Hyundai who only makes a small percentage of its money in cars can eat that and still come out ahead. So they've made the Wal-Mart brand appliance of cars for, I don't know, 10-12 years? I still see 2000-2005 Hyundais and stuff around, but you just don't see like a 2008 Elantra anywhere.

ANYWAY, those turn-of-the-century Hyundais and Kias have done reasonably well in Lemons. They're unspectacular, but they kind of just run. They're uncomplicated and probably largely predicated on using existing technology from other brands? I know Kia borrowed the Mazda BP engine for a few years and maybe the brand's internal engine designs are also based on that engine? Nobody—myself included—really knows much about them technically because they are boring as hell, frankly.

For something newer like the Soul, there is no Lemons track record, so maybe it's the magic bullet all along!

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

9 (edited by rb92673 2022-06-08 07:14 AM)

Spanks 2003 Hyundai Accent(s) has been reliable and competes nicely in Class C.  I know he drove it to both HPR and Inde from San Diego as a backup car in case my crap can blew up mid race.  He also daily drives it. 

Pre-covid there were tons of them for cheap.  I think he picked up a couple that just needed the throw out bearing replaced, which is an easy fix.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

Spanks 2003 Hyundai Accent(s) has been reliable and competes nicely in Class C.  I know he drove it to both HPR and Inde from San Diego as a backup car in case my crap can blew up mid race.  He also daily drives it. 

Pre-covid there were tons of them for cheap.  I think he picked up a couple that just needed the throw out bearing replaced, which is an easy fix.

Transmission swap is remarkably easy, also (Two guys, a lift, and 4 hours later). Throw-out bearings get the manuals junked, but are like a $50 part that takes 2 hours the first time you do it...

That guy

therood wrote:

In general, post-1998 (or so) Kias and Hyundais haven't been terrible in Lemons, but I've theorized that Hyundai hit a quality peak somewhere around like 1999-2005 and Kia maybe a year or two later (they weren't even in the US before 1996 or something)? Enough to convince people that Koreans could build cars that, while unexciting, would get the job done and last.

After they had established that, the 10/100K warranty really just became a numbers game. So you have to replace a few engines and pocket $15,000 of warranty work on a $20,000 car one time out of every 20? Well, in the end, an industrial giant like Hyundai who only makes a small percentage of its money in cars can eat that and still come out ahead. So they've made the Wal-Mart brand appliance of cars for, I don't know, 10-12 years? I still see 2000-2005 Hyundais and stuff around, but you just don't see like a 2008 Elantra anywhere.

ANYWAY, those turn-of-the-century Hyundais and Kias have done reasonably well in Lemons. They're unspectacular, but they kind of just run. They're uncomplicated and probably largely predicated on using existing technology from other brands? I know Kia borrowed the Mazda BP engine for a few years and maybe the brand's internal engine designs are also based on that engine? Nobody—myself included—really knows much about them technically because they are boring as hell, frankly.

For something newer like the Soul, there is no Lemons track record, so maybe it's the magic bullet all along!

From my understanding, they got really, really good about 2005-2010.  That generation of Sonata/Optima (the Sonata that looks like an '03-'05 Accord) just keep going and going and going. 

And, then, they redesigned the car, direct injected the engine, and it all went to shit.  My roommate has a 2016 Sonata with 74k miles that just had its engine replaced because the rod bearings failed.  And, the kicker is - they all do that.  His even lasted longer than a lot do.  He wasn't the original owner, so no warranty, but there was a huge class action lawsuit, and the settlement was that they're covered for life for any shortblock failures - new engine & loaner car while it's being replaced.  When the engine locked up as he was driving home, I went to go tow the car, and, wouldn't you know - no tow hooks or tow points.  Anywhere.  Went online, common complaint.  They just didn't bother with anything.  Just had to hook to the suspension and hope for the best.  Plus, the A/C quit working 2 years ago.  I was under the impression that Hyundai/Kia got kinda decent around the turn of the millenium, but, apparently, at least for 'certain cars' (i.e. anything with the 2.4 GDI), it was rather short lived. 

All that to say, if you do see a newer Hyundai/Kia at a race, it seems very unlikely to finish the race.

Semi-Sentient Centenarians
1996 Buick Century - we upgraded our crappy GM sedan with parts from a crappy GM minivan.
"It's got a van motor, a 220 cubic inch plant, it's got van tires, van suspension, van shocks. It's a model with the catalytic converters ripped out so
     it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it a racecar or what?" - Blues Brothers, Probably

12 (edited by billy bee 2022-06-27 09:18 PM)

I have two words for you: Kim Jong Elantra...

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Jt9rPGX/0/X4/i-Jt9rPGX-X4.jpg

OK, OK...so, it's not 8 years old, but it is reliable, and we got it to go fast without cheating...