Topic: Leadfoot Rally???

Me and my buddies have begun building our Lemons car to run some of the West Coast events if we get in(if not we are towing East). Since we now have thousands of dollars in our $500 car we would like to maximize track time. What do you guys know about this event, have any Lemons drivers entered?

Re: Leadfoot Rally???

Thousands?  How, for god's sake?

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

if you aren't good w/ a torch, a cage can cost 2000 to install.
throw in another 1000 for safety items, you're at 4000

to me, that's thousands.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Cadillac Bob wrote:

We are looking at $2000+ into our car... but that's because of wheels, tires, brakes and chassis.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Cadillac Bob wrote:

Thats what us and our wives said. said. Between the cage, brakes, suits, helmets, wheels, tires, and all the mechanical work we have emptied the pockets a little faster than expected. That's racing. Now we find out we cant run it at the Sears Point race because they are full. We need to run it somewhere in the meantime which is why we are curiousl about this Leadfoot deal. Don't know anyone who has ran in it.
Also curious about a Grassroots Challenge, but not as much on that one. Really want to run door to door on a road course.

fast 88 rx7 wrote:
Cadillac Bob wrote:

Thats what us and our wives said. said. Between the cage, brakes, suits, helmets, wheels, tires, and all the mechanical work we have emptied the pockets a little faster than expected. That's racing. Now we find out we cant run it at the Sears Point race because they are full. We need to run it somewhere in the meantime which is why we are curiousl about this Leadfoot deal. Don't know anyone who has ran in it.
Also curious about a Grassroots Challenge, but not as much on that one. Really want to run door to door on a road course.

I dont know if I'd expect to see the Grassroots Challenge go west again anytime soon since they only had 2 entrants last year.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Sounds like a podium finish to me

A buddy of mine ran his Lemons car in the Leadfoot Rally last year. In fact, he had a RX7 as well and he almost won the road race and the circle track.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a dick.  I guess technically, 2 is plural... I kinda (unfairly) read "thousands" to be more than 2000.  And, I wasn't including driving gear in the same pile with the car.

Sorry for the threadjack.

As far as the Leadfoot goes, I've talked to a couple folks who've done it and had a good time.  However, it seems to me that a properly-valued (i.e. not cheating) Lemons car might be at a disadvantage, given the discrepancy in allowable spending.  Then again, it sure would be fun to whoop someone's ass in a car worth 2k more than yours.

Thanks Bob,

I had the same concerns running a $500 car versus a $2500 one, especially with my rusty road racing skills and I have never even been on an oval track. I noticed however that it is not what you paid but what the street value is on the car. We paid $350 for our RX7but the Blue Book value is somewhere in the $2300 range. If anything some Lemons cars may be over valued by their rules.
The bottom line is I just want to race! Hopefully see you out there soon.

We are scrambling to get our car ready for the Chumpcar race here in Colorado. We are for sure entering the Colorado Lemons race and we just decided that we are entering the Colorado Leadfoot Rally too. We have a old Rallycross guy and a drag race guy on our team. They both are more fired up about the Leadfoot Rally.

It does sound like a fun concept .. but our car isn't legal.  The rules are too restrictive for a guy like me who gets as much enjoyment out of building the car as running it.

We are are building our car for Lemons but we heard about Leadfoot Rally in the process. I actually just called the Leadfoot Rally phone number on the website. I talked to a guy named Chuck and he said that pretty much all Lemons cars would meet the rules. He said the only real difference is major motor swaps are not allowed. He did say that cars that show up with a Intergra motor in a CRX would still be able to run, they would just loose some championship points. Other than that he says the rules are basically the same. I also spent some time on ChumpCar site and the only real difference is 2 electrical  cutoof switches.

Yah.. it's that "major motor swaps" thing that puts us out.  Basically, I can't see many orphan or pre-1980 cars entering Leadfoot.. just can't compete without a suspension update.  I like Lemons better... more room for creativity!

Creativity is always fun.
Have been doing research off an on while my boss isnt looking. All I know is they got hit by a tornado during one of their events, got some footage of a SAAB getting beat up here,

http://www.leadfootrally.com/off-track-video.html

their champion from last year was living out of his truck and built his car at a campground, thats fairly creative.I saw where the guy got a ride in a Rally America car, no word on if he still lives in his truck though.
I am just so jazzed to see that this crapcan racing seems to be spreading thanks to Lemons

Thanks for the tornado vid. I plan to run all my events in Cali and maybe the Lemons Phoenix race next year. Guess I have to worry about earthquakes and ritos only.

Cadillac Bob has me a little worried about the suspension deal. We did upgrade ours but are basically to stock specs. I am more concerned about it holding up over an endurance event personally. The only real concern I have with Leadfoot is the circle track events. I assume it eats up tires pretty quick but from what I hear it only really kills the right front. Not like 2 days of road racing is real easy on tires either.
I pulled this off their site after chattiung with a competior on facebook. He says the #5 car and the #24 were both Lemons cars. Not sure how the 24 finished but the #5 placed 2nd. Gotta admit those walls do look close though!

http://www.leadfootrally.com/circle-track-video.html

Actually, I think I misread the rules about suspension.  It could be done.  Not with our car, though.