Topic: Fall Fail-iage Tour Entry List

Hot damn, a three-car team of air-cooled VWs, two El Caminos (one of which I think is a Mercedes diesel swap), and MANY veteran 24 Hours of Lemons racers running an Edsel, a C4 Corvette, a Cressida, two E30s, a Taurus MT5, and a GMC Sunrunner (!).

https://i.imgur.com/t23pwZR.jpg

Forty-two pre-registered and at least one more signing up onsite. Hella Sweet, this is gonna be a good one.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Re: Fall Fail-iage Tour Entry List

It looks like Mopars are well represented on this one too!  Hella Sweet!! :-)

Off-Kilter Racing
'62 Plymouth Valiant "ToadRacer" - Organizer's Choice, IOE...
'86 Toyota MR2 (needs engine)

3 (edited by Sonic 2022-09-29 07:13 PM)

We are off to a great start.  Driving from PA to MA tonight, 250 miles in, the C4 decided that it would only run with a gradually smaller and smaller throttle opening.  Stopping for 5 minutes made it run for another 40-50 miles, so I did that three times and limped it to our house in MA.  Parts cannon loaded up and AutoZone is delivering a throttle position sensor, ignition coil, ignition module and fuel pump (though this fuel pump only has 1k miles on it).  And I'm also working tomorrow.  Yay fun.

Edit: Autozone didn't deliver any of that shit today.  It will get here tomorrow which does me no good.  See my later post for how I managed to scrape together all the necessary parts at a significantly greater cost.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

sounds like a plugged fuel filter?

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

All I ask is that someone post the route sheets so those of us who are rallying at our desks can follow along.

6 (edited by Sonic 2022-09-29 07:17 PM)

This afternoon I drove around half of Cape Cod doing necessary family things and picking up parts.  No single trip was more than 30 minutes but it was probably 90 minutes of driving total, the car ran fine.  I filled up on gas and left the cap only barely snug in case a tank vacuum was the problem. 

The parts I got are a TPS, fuel pump, coil, and ignition module.  When I could finally get to work on the car, it was after dark in a gravel driveway of our house here.  I started with the ignition stuff as that is easiest.   Once I pulled the (nearly new) distributor cap off, I saw a bit of something in the center of the rotor that didn't belong.  Looking deeper, the center button of the distributor had broken in half and the lower half had fallen into the center of the rotor and has clearly been rattling around in there for a while.   Fortunately the only close FLAPS had the distributor cap in stock and didn't close until 9PM, this is one time to thank goodness for common GM parts, the cap was there and $18.  Here is the new center button and the one I removed in pieces:

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/prod.mm.com/uploads/2022/09/29/1664500411_img_6815_mmthumb.jpg

So, this all makes sense to me.  If the center button was in half, the coil was having to work extra hard to make enough spark to bridge that gap, I can see how it would overheat and have weak ass spark that wouldn't be able to ignite with heavier throttle.  After replacement the car seemed to run smoother.  I leave for the rally at about 4:45 AM tomorrow to pick up my friend and get to the start.  I have the spare fuel pump and TPS in the car still in case they are needed.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Quality control being what it is these days, I'd be planning where on the route I could find yet another distributor cap.