Topic: Wanted: Steering rack for a Citroen

Anyone got one they aren't going to use? Need it for a Citroen D "green fluid" car. Getting LOADS of experienced help from pendejoe/Seth but I'm finding the cost of replacing all the seals from a citroen parts supplier would leave me no room to replace some of the other needed stuff, like belts. Thinking a used rack might be an option I need to have in my hip pocket.

Re: Wanted: Steering rack for a Citroen

Yikes. that's gonna be tough. I'm rooting for you though! My mom still has The seats out of her 1971 DS21 we bought new in Paris.... she couldn't part with them when she sold off the car in 81'. Why not just use a mechanical rack from something else? I'm sure you could junk yard something and fab your own mounts and such?

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

And while you're there you can set up the rack for minimal bump steer...the DS is a work of art, way ahead of its time..

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

And while you're there you can set up the rack for minimal bump steer...the DS is a work of art, way ahead of its time..

Bumpsteer? The Citroen acknowledges no bumps!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

5 (edited by squidbreath 2010-02-19 09:44 PM)

i've got a rack you can have if you pay for shipping.  i'm not sure what fluid it uses.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

squidbreath wrote:

i've got a rack you can have if you pay for shipping.  i'm not sure what fluid it uses.

YES!

Hopefully there's evidence of it or something else on the car painted green indicating it's an LHM car (hydraulic stuff was all painted green if it was an LHM car, or so I'm told). If it ain't, well, I'll run it anyway.

Spinnetti wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

You mean in its arrogance it rudely ignores track conditions?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

BTW: While I'm keeping the car in completely stock form (as much as it will allow me to), please don't confuse the as-designed features with the current state of a $300 D that's been sitting for 15+ years.

There are a lot of things through the "There should be..." and "There's supposed to be..." type posts on a couple of forums that--- how do I put this-- "don't be no more".

A mercedes mechanic told me that citroens kneel before the superior german cars.

jimeditorial wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

No, I mean a working Cit will blow over huge bumps like they don't exist. My dad used to demonstrate behind the local mall where they had huge speed bumps and he would go full speed over them... Was supposed to be a joke if you were a Cit guy  - They ride like the worlds softest limo wink

Spinnetti wrote:

No, I mean a working Cit will blow over huge bumps like they don't exist. My dad used to demonstrate behind the local mall where they had huge speed bumps and he would go full speed over them... Was supposed to be a joke if you were a Cit guy  - They ride like the worlds softest limo wink

Yea, um. Mine is completely flat. No nitrogen charge whatsoever. Gonna try to charge them with the help of pendejo and magnus, but from what everyone tells me , the bladders are going to be shot... And the bump stops have crumbled to nothing, leaving metal on metal for a bump stop-- so I'm basically a French go-kart with shitty handling. Wait a minute-- make that no handling-- I have no rack yet (but one on the way! thanks to squidbreath!). If that doesn't work, I'm going soapbox derby car:

http://www.leany.com/images/steering_rec.jpg

This guy is in your area.  He may have some scrap parts you can use:

Citroen Concours of America
8515 Arjons Drive #I
San Diego, California 92126
Or phoning (858) 566-2860

squidbreath wrote:

A mercedes mechanic told me that citroens kneel before the superior german cars.

Said Mercedes mechanic has probably forgotten who developed the hydropneumatic suspension that M-B licensed for use in the mighty 450SEL 6.9.