Topic: Its reverse February at Thunderhill!

In case you haven't heard, the spring race at Sonoma got cancelled and we are heading to Thunderhill instead. The new schedule is, uh, different..... would love to hear everyone’s houghts on it.

I found a video of the 3 mile in reverse direction (Sunday AM) but I haven't found one on the 5 mile reverse direction. Post it up if you have one. Here is the link to the 3 mile reverse video. 
https://youtu.be/BA4NhngNeBk

I think it's pretty cool for Lemons to try something different. I have 2 questions though.
1. What the heck are we going to do on test day?? I am sure there will be many people interested in testing if it is also the 5 mile reverse direction.

2. How are they going to switch direction at noon on Sunday? I know it seems easy, but so is not passing under Yellow and speeding in the paddock. And we know how that goes every race.....

Thoughts?

Sorry For Party Racing, Ran When Parked Racing. #3 eLSS Camino, #21 TWAP Solstice.
WAP Pontiac Solstice (RIP)2007-2023

Re: Its reverse February at Thunderhill!

I figure to reverse direction on Sunday noon, just throw a red flag, everyone stops and then everyone just makes a U turn! Easy Peasy!

Dirty Duck Racing, #83 VW Rabbit GTI
'10,'11,12,'13 -Thunderhill, '10,'11,'12,'13,'14 - Buttonwillow, '11,'12,'13,'14 Sears Pointless, '11-Fernley, '13 Sears Even More Pointless-Class B Winner,  '11,'13 Arse-Freeze Sears Point, Return of the LeMonites Miller Motorsports-Class B Winner, '13 A&D Northworst GT-Overall Winner in MT-GT

I'm not sure if our reverse gear will last all afternoon, but we'll try our best.

4 (edited by Bricoop 2022-12-05 07:22 PM)

timburrman wrote:

In case you haven't heard, the spring race at Sonoma got cancelled and we are heading to Thunderhill instead. The new schedule is, uh, different..... would love to hear everyone’s houghts on it.

I found a video of the 3 mile in reverse direction (Sunday AM) but I haven't found one on the 5 mile reverse direction. Post it up if you have one. Here is the link to the 3 mile reverse video. 
https://youtu.be/BA4NhngNeBk

I think it's pretty cool for Lemons to try something different. I have 2 questions though.
1. What the heck are we going to do on test day?? I am sure there will be many people interested in testing if it is also the 5 mile reverse direction.

2. How are they going to switch direction at noon on Sunday? I know it seems easy, but so is not passing under Yellow and speeding in the paddock. And we know how that goes every race.....

Thoughts?

Throw checker then all blacks, park everyone in pits
have cars do u-turn coming out of pits. 
have cars stop at start/finish until everyone is out. 
run some laps under yellow
Go green

Side note:
The normal turn 1 will now be the entry to the straightaway. Cars are going to have a running start into that straightaway and be flying by the end of it.  Lets party.

5 (edited by ukemike 2022-12-05 07:24 PM)

So in the reverse direction how will we do turn 5E?  Maybe they should do it one way with the 5 mile and the other with the 3 mile. It looks terrifying both ways to me.

Bricoop wrote:

Go green

This is more or less the conceit: Treat it like a black flag all, everyone goes back out in the order they came in with a U-turn.

That said, we're still figuring out the X's and O's, so...

Lay on us all the problems we haven't thought about.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

For teams (like us) that have never been to thunderhill, it's gonna be a total shitshow with 3 different layouts that are all 100% brand new, the decently high possibility of rain, and the unknowns of changing configurations mid-race.

... just lining up my excuses early on why our weekend will be a shitshow wink

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

It's gonna be AWESOME!!!
In every sense of the word.

THill East "reverse" is fast. I'm wondering
about Turn 5E as well. The 5E bypass is fun in "reverse,"
None of it would be fun driving in reverse, however.

There is a THill sim track out there.
You could practice for months between now and then.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

therood wrote:

The Swedes already figured this out, just do what they did:

http://realscandinavia.com/this-day-in- … er-3-1967/

https://www.wired.com/2014/02/throwback … he%20left.

Turn 5E, mid day Sunday:

https://i.ibb.co/d7y1srZ/Kungsgatan-1967-Ratioed.webp

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

5E in reverse seems like it might be similar to Turn 6 at Buttonwillow?

11 (edited by mharrell 2022-12-06 04:13 PM)

Limonaid wrote:

The Swedes already figured this out, just do what they did...

Yeah, but to do that where are you going to find some idiot in Lemons with a Swedish car from 1967 and a Högertrafik t-shirt?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52548022975_0197f0c229_z.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

therood wrote:

Can I suggest a special bonus category for right hand drive cars?

13 (edited by DelinquentRacer 2022-12-06 10:21 PM)

Probably should change the name to

Yokohama 3 Tracks, 1 Dumpster Fire.

Is there a U-Turn Flag?

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

If half the field doesn't have a reverse/UNO card game theme it will be disappointing.  Everyone gets a draw 4 card to start the race, if you get a black flag you lose your draw 4 card.  At the end anyone that has a card left gets to throw it down on a team to add 4 laps to their total.

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

Thunderhill backwards is a freaking hoot.  So much simultaneous stopping and turning.

Spank won't need to u-turn.  Daf CVT is such that it goes the same speed forwards or backwards.  Red Flag - Stop.  Put it reverse - Carry on.

https://youtu.be/eyHleTJyONk

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

therood wrote:
Bricoop wrote:

Go green

This is more or less the conceit: Treat it like a black flag all, everyone goes back out in the order they came in with a U-turn.

That said, we're still figuring out the X's and O's, so...

Losing a hour of time is going to be far more detrimental on Sunday than Saturday. LD runs a race on Saturday,and a separate  race on Sunday.

I vote on not changing the lap counting for the different lengths of laps.

How do you determine the winner?  Laps on Saturday are a lot longer than laps on Sunday.  I can't see someone on the Lemons staff multiplying Saturday laps by 5 and Sunday laps by 3 for the 100 or so cars on track.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

I don't understand how the original venue just cancels. Did someone forget to make a deposit?

rb92673 wrote:

How do you determine the winner?

Why not just count laps? Does it matter that part of the race is run on a shorter track?

21 (edited by BigBird 2022-12-07 02:00 PM)

Eager Beaver wrote:

I don't understand how the original venue just cancels. Did someone forget to make a deposit?

NASA has deeper pockets.....

"We just learned that Sonoma has given away Lemons™ March 23 date to a fancy-pants carmaker, probably thanks to a dumptruck of Euros."

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

rb92673 wrote:

How do you determine the winner?  Laps on Saturday are a lot longer than laps on Sunday.  I can't see someone on the Lemons staff multiplying Saturday laps by 5 and Sunday laps by 3 for the 100 or so cars on track.

They count the laps. it's not the number of miles driven, its the number of laps done. Also, the class winners are the least important part of a Lemons race anyway so why would they even make their lives determining it using a different method.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

rb92673 wrote:

Laps on Saturday are a lot longer than laps on Sunday.  I can't see someone on the Lemons staff multiplying Saturday laps by 5 and Sunday laps by 3 for the 100 or so cars on track.

chaase wrote:

They count the laps. it's not the number of miles driven, its the number of laps done.

The rules don't actually specify how the class winners are to be determined, so clearly the compromise solution is to multiply the laps from both days by four.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

Laps on Saturday are a lot longer than laps on Sunday.  I can't see someone on the Lemons staff multiplying Saturday laps by 5 and Sunday laps by 3 for the 100 or so cars on track.

chaase wrote:

They count the laps. it's not the number of miles driven, its the number of laps done.

The rules don't actually specify how the class winners are to be determined, so clearly the compromise solution is to multiply the laps from both days by four.

If they are going to multiply it by anything, it would be Pi. Everyone loves Pi

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Eager Beaver wrote:

New Management