Topic: Rain lights DIY

for funzies just finished prototyping a rain light driver board. And used an LED trailer light. Probably might do a run of them. Get the boards printed and/or assembled.  Was thinking, what is the interest in this, and how much would pay for the board?
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KDrAB7CYIos

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

Re: Rain lights DIY

kakarot1232001 wrote:

for funzies just finished prototyping a rain light driver board. And used an LED trailer light. Probably might do a run of them. Get the boards printed and/or assembled.  Was thinking, what is the interest in this, and how much would pay for the board?

This ain't F1.  You might want to check the rule book first.

3.10.11.2     No Flashing Lights or Sirens. No working sirens, flashing lights, or similar emergency vehicle stuff allowed. Anything that could make your car be confused for an actual emergency vehicle will get you black-flagged.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

This ain't F1.  You might want to check the rule book first.

3.10.11.2     No Flashing Lights or Sirens. No working sirens, flashing lights, or similar emergency vehicle stuff allowed. Anything that could make your car be confused for an actual emergency vehicle will get you black-flagged.

Lemons is better than F1 ;-)

Tech question, certainly. I don't think that rear-facing flashing lights are what that rule addresses, though could be an issue on registered cars driven on the road.

I personally like the idea of the tuner 'flashing while braking' mode, [HA! Auto-correct initially had that as "breaking" - apparently it has been 'Lemons forum trained'] though an off switch / return to DOT mode function would be interesting.

My Volvo had a bright red rear facing fog light on one side for visibility.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

I personally like the idea of the tuner 'flashing while braking' mode

I hate these so much

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

Rain lights are legal in Lemons, I've driven enough laps behind Product Saturn to know that.

Brake lights should ALWAYS be solid ON per FIA regulations. Rain lights should flash when the brakes are off, and then go to solid when the brake is applied. The flashing is higher visibility and helps cut through the rooster tails of rain behind the cars under power, solid under braking helps not to distract cars behind you going through corners.

A lot of other series require rain lights now, so expect to see one or a few cars on track with one.

Ours is tied to the headlight circuit though so we can just turn it off most of the time.

As for the fun/DIY aspect of this, real rain lights come in nice sealed boxes (you're driving in the rain after all), and custom printed boards and electronics have a bad habit of being "less than commercial quality" when it comes to corrosion or wire/solder joints just breaking from vibration or other racing environmental conditions. So I guess make yourself two of them and use quick disconnects on the wire connections just in case.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

We run a ricer flashing third brake light... about $10 on ebay and I think it helps get the guy's attention behind you. Maybe I'm just blind, but the field of 70's-90's era cars and tail lights coated in sticky/dirty schmoo don't do a great job grabbing my attention. I can see them if I'm looking straight at them, but they don't grab my attention when I'm focusing on other things. I wish more people dropped $10 on a more obnoxious brake light. We also run reflective tape around the perimeter of our car. Worth every penny at night races, probably couldn't hurt in rain/fog?

To the PO's question... I think I'd rather spend $20 on ebay for a third brake light and maybe some yellow LED strip. I love your ambition, but I think there's ebay options that'll get the job done for those looking to go cheap, and $$$ options for "real" race teams.. I don't know if there needs to be a middle ground.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Yup, I saw that few other series require it. So thats why I thought about it. Which lead me to checking out the fia rain lights and getting a sticker shock. so just made it, cause it simple enough.

For the durability question, I was going to epoxy seal or similar. so wont be subject to vibration or moisture concerns. the light it self is a trailer light so I know they are fine for water and vibrations. Specially the LED boat kind.
The circuit already does the flash continuous 4Hz, solid when brakes applied.

I guess I will make a few just for my self and extras just to keep on hand. post it up for sale see if anyone actually wants one as well.

Rule 3.10.11.2 applies to lights that are similar to emergency cars. Rain lights are totally fine. Disco ball on the roof might be questioned.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

duthehustle93 wrote:

I wish more people dropped $10 on a more obnoxious brake light.

I agree 100%.

The rules state you have to have ONE working brake light, but doesn't specify it needs to worth a damn.  I've seen cars using LED trailer marker lights for brake lights, which are damn near invisible on a sunny day.

Our car has both stock brake lights with LED bulbs in lieu the stock incandescent units.  In addition, I added this 7" LED light bar to the top of the rear hatch and covered the lens with Lamin-X red film to make a really bright 3rd brake light.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F61dk3sh0OAL.__AC_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=3741764b1d40ecf90249d3a785beaa2a5d11c6e8191606503a2a699b92132d16&ipo=images

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
duthehustle93 wrote:

I wish more people dropped $10 on a more obnoxious brake light.

I agree 100%.

The rules state you have to have ONE working brake light, but doesn't specify it needs to worth a damn.  I've seen cars using LED trailer marker lights for brake lights, which are damn near invisible on a sunny day.

Our car has both stock brake lights with LED bulbs in lieu the stock incandescent units.  In addition, I added this 7" LED light bar to the top of the rear hatch and covered the lens with Lamin-X red film to make a really bright 3rd brake light.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F61dk3sh0OAL.__AC_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=3741764b1d40ecf90249d3a785beaa2a5d11c6e8191606503a2a699b92132d16&ipo=images

I had the brilliant idea to wire every single rear facing bulb on the Javelin to the brake switch. It's like a giant Christmas tree!

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

those light are great, and can be scene for a mile away.

I believe that "no flashing lights or siren" rule dates back to the People's Curse days.  A team pissed everyone off by driving like asshats using that crap when they approached to pass.  Yup, they got crushed deservedly so.  The good old days.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

12 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2023-03-15 12:21 AM)

KeiCarMike wrote:

Rain lights are legal in Lemons, I've driven enough laps behind Product Saturn to know that.

Brake lights should ALWAYS be solid ON per FIA regulations. Rain lights should flash when the brakes are off, and then go to solid when the brake is applied. The flashing is higher visibility and helps cut through the rooster tails of rain behind the cars under power, solid under braking helps not to distract cars behind you going through corners.

A lot of other series require rain lights now, so expect to see one or a few cars on track with one.

Ours is tied to the headlight circuit though so we can just turn it off most of the time. [snip]

1. Is it too much to hope that as "A lot of other series require rain lights now" the other series have the same solid/flashing requirement as FIA?

2. Disagree that flashing = high visibility; attention grabbing, yes, but something that's not _on_ isn't visible. Hence, the solid while braking makes sense, and less distracting.

3. Are there lumen requirements in FIA for brake lights? In many vehicles I've seen, they're brighter than tail lights.

4. (More than a year ago- so I could be mis-remembering) I think I've seen a flashing brake light system that flashes faster, going to solid, under more intense braking action. That was on a vehicle on the road near here. I followed them for about 20 min. in evening rush hour traffic. Once I figured out what the lights were communicating I felt more comfortable following. But it was unnerving at first.

kakarot1232001 wrote:

Want

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!