Topic: First Night Race - Extra Tips

Hey everyone!
I’ve been researching like crazy for the past few months, getting ready for our first night race in Colorado! This will be our team’s 3rd race, but first night. Every time I talk to someone, they mention a tip/idea/tool/advice, something that I haven’t read yet. Looking for any random advice!

Reading through the rules again and are you still allowed to add LED colored rope lights on the top of the car to see? Or a colored LED large antenna?

Any advice what tinting mirrors?

Anything is helpful, thanks!!

Re: First Night Race - Extra Tips

#1 mistake 1st timers make is using LED lights to see.  Unless you buy the high dollar ones, most just vomit light everywhere and not illuminate much.  Personally, I use HID lighting that has distinct cut off that don't blind everyone but project well for straight ahead view.  I also use Hella 500s for cornering lights.  This forum is littered with people who disregarded the advice regarding LED lights, possessing supreme confidence that they will be fine and later came back to say it was a mistake.

Decorate rope lights have been fine in the past and are actually helpful for your teammates to see/make sure you are still on track.  Because it's dark out there ya know.  Just keep in mind that that stuff can be annoying to your driver when it illuminates non important stuff like your hood.  Using LED rope lights as driving lights is an exceptionally bad idea.  Very much do not do that.

https://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LBW12/268-UG-Butt12.jpg

I like window tint on all rear facing mirrors.  I also like to tape a motocross visor onto my helmet.  Regardless of how much advice is given, there will be those people that ignore advice and get their LED light bars from Amazon.  Although those lights do a crappy job of helping them see where they are going, they do an excellent job of illuminating the interior of your car when they come up behind  When that happens, you can dip your head to block out the reflection off your rear view mirrors and still see ahead.

I was absolutely miserable the first time I did a night stint at a 24 (the infamous Reno 24).  We had stock regular incandescent headlights and couldn't see shit.  I didn't pay attention to landmarks (or just did a bad job of it) during the day so at night I was wandering around cluelessly.  During the day pick out stuff along the track that can give you an idea of where the corners are, etc.  Good lighting is important but finding that happy medium between seeing and not blinding everyone is the key.  I have never before or since clock watched just counting the time down to when I could get out of the car.  It kicked my ass, made me mad to where I just had to do it again right.  Since then I've done a half dozen or so 24s and just love them.  I wish we had more in California.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I ran with a LED whip in 2020, but they would only let me run a single color, no flashing colors.  It makes it a lot easier to identify your car on track at night. There were plenty of cars with strip/rope lights as well.

I have a clip on convex mirror from amazon that clips over the existing mirror to give a wider rear view and side view.  If I were to run again I would get a second one, cover with window tint, and switch at night.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

100% agree with cheseroo's lighting suggestions.  DO NOT use the LED bar lights from your local parts store.  Get the Hella 500s.  Two Hellas in addition to stock lights is OK.  Four Hella 500s is nearly perfect.

If we ever do a night race again some kind of identifying lights will be used even if its just those cheap light up valve stem caps to identify the car around the track.

There is a good chance you removed the interior dome light.  Pit road has some lights, but having some kind of light on the inside of the car is good for driver changes.

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

We're prepping for a night race in another series and I also mirror the HID advice. We had cheap LED lights from harbor freight, at pittrace we did a little parking lot testing after dusk and it was terrible.

This light bar is our "supplemental light", it's on its own separate switch from the headlights:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-890262
The LED beam is much more focused then the cheap stuff we got.

Our headlights are HID conversions from DDM Tuning:
https://ddmtuning.com/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim- … 35W-or-55W
you can order a harness with relays as well to make wiring really easy.

Other tips:
- Aim your headlights slightly outwards for better cornering
- Aim your light bar further down than you think you should
- You might consider using a rain light for your rear facing driving light, it's super visible and acceptable for most series, and as a bonus makes you tech legal in some other series like AER.
- Some strategically placed racers tape in horizontal strips over the back window can cut down the glare in your mirror from other cars coming up behind you. (think zebra stripes across the back window).
- Don't forget clear tape (helicopter tape, clear racers tape, clear gorilla tape) over any glass lenses
- Test at night if you can before showing up at the race.
- Mount a battery powered LED tap light on the roof of your car in reach of the driver. If the driver goes off, tell them to turn the light on so the safety crew can see they're ok. It's the difference between a full course yellow and ambulance, or a local yellow and a tow hook. This helps with pit stops too. Our car actually has a battery powered "service light" circuit that has LED roof lighting and small LED lights under the hood and wheel wells for nighttime service. All the 24hrs of LeMans (that one) teams had some sort of service lights as well.

For track ID it's pretty easy to spot the silhouette that doesn't belong (the merkur stands out), but we use blue underglow rock crawling lights (cheap LED kit from amazon) hooked to our headlight circuit. Some zip screws, 18awg wire and an hours work makes it an easy project. If you don't want to run the 12v wiring for it, then there's plenty of easy options with battery pack power. LEDs don't take much.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Also in regards to cornering lights, I never really found aiming instructions for those.  There are plenty for straight ahead lighting but none that I ever found for cornering.  In general I found that they need to be pointed further outward than you'd think.  A nice easy drive through the paddock at night is highly suggested to get that sorted.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Cornering lights and projectors are great. Those amazon special jeep/miata/harley round lights are great projectors and can be found for about $30 a light. You'll need to fabricate mounting depending on what vehicle you have. As other have said, avoid cheap light vomit bars for projecting forward, but they work OK for corner lights. Keep in mind that you WILL get black flagged if your lights are aimed too high, and dealing with lighting during a race is annoying. Each corner is marked with reflectors, so you just need to project enough light to see those corner markers. It sounds sketchy, but you get used to driving off a few reflectors really quicky.

We tried tinting our mirrors and found it to ruin our daylight visibiliy and didn't seem to help much at night. I'd go without mirror tint, we typically ignored our mirrors at night, when we saw our cabin light up we knew someone was approaching behind us, we'd quickly scan the mirrors to see what side, and give them room to pass. It's not as bad as you'd think.

Don't rely on LED rope lights, although they're totally worth putting in. Best thing we did was add reflective tape around the perimeter of the car, and I think it should be a requirement for night races. If something happens where your electrical goes out (immobile or still moving), people can still see you. Also, having a perimeter gives the driver behind you way more information about your position. A car spun out about two corners ahead of me and I didn't notice it until I was exiting the corner that there is a car parked in the middle of the track. Almost T-boned him at 70MPH and I swear my mirror touched his car. Coming around the corner and seeing only two blinding headlights gave me NO information about where the ass-end is pointed... some $7 reflective tape could have made that lucky miss an educated miss.

plan plan plan. We had a driver cycle plan and nap cycle planned. Someone will get screwed, I took the 1PM day 1 nap cycle and just ended up not sleeping. Know who prefers driving at night, who can stay up late, and who can go without sleep. We had to throw our driver cycle out the window around 3AM because one of the guys fell asleep when his stint was time.

Brake pads.. HPR seems to chew up pads quicker than other tracks. We were running some sport pads and went through about 6 sets of brake pads over 24 hours when we normally got ~9 hours out of one set. Getting some ST43's would totally been worth it here.

Have a great team/great crew. Any resentment or inter-team issues WILL escalate with lack of sleep and stress.

Overall we had a blast and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Do everyone a favor and tint your headlights to knock down the intensity.  We tinted ours yellow, but any headlight tint will work.  This is especially true of aftermarket LED bars and spot projectors.  Last years race had some really bad offenders with lights that were entirely too bright.  There were a few teams making out right objections to black flag certain cars.  As a result I suspect there will be a closer inspection of over-the-top lights this year. 

https://metrorestyling.com/collections/light-wrap-film

I recommend battery powered LED "headlamp" lights around your neck for pit crew, so you can see inside and while refueling.

Also keep your night stints short.  You'll be tired after a full day's racing, and no matter how good your lights are, you'll be overdriving your lights so will be very stressful on drivers.  Fun, but stressful. 

Make a good crew rotation plan, so that everybody gets at least a little rest.  Enforce it - tell drivers to go get some sleep when it is their nap time. Make sure you know who is sleeping where, so if a driver oversleeps you can wake him/her up before the car comes into pits for fuel/driver swap.

Also second the recommendation for reflective tape around the vehicle, red in back and white in front.  As mentioned, it may help avoid a T-bone.