Topic: Spindle nut coming loose - Gen 1 Integra

Just came off a great time in NJMP with our Get 1 Integra...she ran great for all but the last hour where we busted a wheel hub.  We noticed Saturday evening that our axle nut had moved.  We re-torqued it and re-staked it.  Our suspicion is that it came loose again Sunday and let the wheel hub move a bit, causing a failure.

This was definitely a new nut when we installed it and torqued to spec.  Wondering if any of you have seen this or know an effective cause or prevention measure (thread-locker, safety wire?).  I doubt honda was thinking we'd be road racing this thing 35 years ago, so maybe not designed for the thrashing we give it.

Re: Spindle nut coming loose - Gen 1 Integra

I use wedge lock on the troubled nuts, including the axle kind. its about $11 for a pair for the axles.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

Those look awesome,  thanks for the advice…we’d never seen them before.

It's not uncommon to increase the torque/preload a bit when used on a track. I unusually use some blue/medium thread locker and torque to spec which helps retain it and also effectively lubricates the threads on install, increasing the preload seen by the bearing a hair.

Are you super sure that you properly torqued that nut the first time? Are you running a good wheel bearing? it could be a faulty part, or a couple beers too deep. I think thread locker and/or more torque is a safe bet, but I don't think the tires we are limited to will allow us to exceed the preload of that nut and unload it. It happens on high aero cars with slicks but it seems hard to believe in Lemons... and even in those high aero/slick applications they usually increase torque and the problem goes away. They're not tapered roller bearings, so I don't think a cotter pin/safety wire will do any good. Once it loosens enough to rely on the pin/safety wire you've already unloaded your bearing and are heading to failure.

For day 2, you probably started some wear on day 1 driving without preload, which propagated to failure on day 2.

Make sure your running good parts here (plenty of places you can cheap out, wheel bearings/hubs is not one of them). FAG, SKF, NSK are all good brands... the cheaper brands always seem to come with thinner hub flanges (can be as thin as half the OE thickness), but "fortunately" cheap wheel bearing will probably fail before the flange. Make sure you are using a trustworthy torque wrench, blue loctite, and good parts and I'd be surprised if this happens again.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

I had a car do something similar in non-race scenario many years ago.  I'm convinced the bearing failed first (or developed play, never had catastrophic failure) and that the failed bearing resulted in less tension on the nut

I can't prove that but...

Zacks wrote:

I had a car do something similar in non-race scenario many years ago.  I'm convinced the bearing failed first (or developed play, never had catastrophic failure) and that the failed bearing resulted in less tension on the nut

what the OP described was almost certainly bearing failure. the loose nut was just a symptom.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

derekste wrote:
Zacks wrote:

what the OP described was almost certainly bearing failure. the loose nut was just a symptom.

Probably the most common repair every weekend. 

I don't like the idea of over torqueing the nut, the bearing may not like the load. 

OP-Bearing failures are most commonly heat related and losing grease.  Use the best high temp grease you can get and consider positioning a vent at the hub.