Topic: Using a tablet for gauges? What set up do you like?

I am working on a new build and think I want to go the direction of using a tablet paired with an app (Torque) for additional engine info. What do you use, like and or hate that’s out there?

Also what issues have you come across? One concern I have is glare on the screen since we run a convertible. Figure a sun shield should do the trick.  Whatcha all got for me?

Sorry For Party Racing, Ran When Parked Racing. #3 eLSS Camino, #21 TWAP Solstice.
WAP Pontiac Solstice (RIP)2007-2023

2 (edited by Zacks 2023-08-23 09:14 AM)

Re: Using a tablet for gauges? What set up do you like?

I have not used a tablet with app ect but on cars with built in screens that have gauges you can cycle through they are not always accurate. 

Issues appear to be due to sampling rate.  It seems the electronics sample every x milliseconds and use logic to smooth the values, the results are that if for example there is a rapid upward trend which suddenly stops the gauge may continue that upward trend until it takes another reading.

I see this a lot on built in digital boost gauges (not aftermarket purpose built ones) but if it's reading from stock map sensor.  People are lime omg I hit 22lbs of boost!  And I'll go do a run with an expensive scan tool doing a fast sampling rate or a mechanical gauge and be like nope max was 17psi

Dunno if you'll run into this with a tablet but something to be aware of.  Temps probably don't change fast enough to cause these problems if that's what you're after.

Basically if you are talking about something that plugs into the obd port and reads factory gauges probably fine for like coolant temp oil temp ect, but may not be good for like rpm or various pressures.

Also it is hard to watch all your gauges when racing.  I mentioned in another thread that we have an alarm that sounds if oil pressure goes below 20psi and others commented that they cannot hear due to car noise and use a flashing light.

If you are talking about like an aftermarket instrument panel for rpm speedo ect, i had one on my motorcycle Years ago and it was great but I forget the brand lol

Racecapture paired with a cheap Amazon Fire tablet works pretty well.  You can pull engine information off CANBUS/OBD plus it has it's own internal GPS.  You can also connect sensors to it.  It logs the information so you can look at it later and if you have an internet hotspot in the car you can livestream the data to their cloud service Podium for free.  Plus you get predictive lap timing.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Old iPad and Car Scanner app. It kinda works but there are issues w/Wifi dropping when the ODBII reader is de-powered. Next time I would go android w/USB. In reality, almost no one looks at them and the uptick is a little slow but it does work.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I agree that the idiot light/alarm is the best way to go long term.  Short term though, since we are now in the 'Turbo Zone' temperature is a big concern of mine.  Being able to store data on a tablet and check it out would be great for the first few races while we shake the car down.

I am looking to livestream video at some point as well so a hotspot will be available.   The car has a menu you an cycle through for some information but it is clumsy and not something a driver should be fumbling through.

Sorry For Party Racing, Ran When Parked Racing. #3 eLSS Camino, #21 TWAP Solstice.
WAP Pontiac Solstice (RIP)2007-2023

timburrman wrote:

I agree that the idiot light/alarm is the best way to go long term.  Short term though, since we are now in the 'Turbo Zone' temperature is a big concern of mine.  Being able to store data on a tablet and check it out would be great for the first few races while we shake the car down.

I am looking to livestream video at some point as well so a hotspot will be available.   The car has a menu you an cycle through for some information but it is clumsy and not something a driver should be fumbling through.

I think I have the garage between your two teams at Buttonwillow.  You can look at the Racecapture setup there.  You can also use it to live stream with overlays, but I haven't tried that. 

I also have lots of big bright idiot lights.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

7 (edited by VKZ24 2023-08-24 11:32 AM)

Zacks wrote:

Issues appear to be due to sampling rate.

Unless something has changed since I lasted used it, this is 100% true when using the Torque app via OBD-II.  The sampling rate can't keep up especially with anything that changes rapidly like RPM and oil pressure.

We've found that good old school mechanical gauges work best for oil pressure and water temperature combined with sensors for the idiot lights.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Oh also fyi with every logger I've ever used the more PIDs (things) you log the slower the sampling rate, how bad it gets depends on the bit rate of the ecu and the logging tool.

Basically the logger pulls a data point from each thing you log then starts over with a second data point and so on.  So if you log 10 things the sampling rate is twice as fast as if you log 20 things.

On some systems this means log like 10 things if you need a fast rate, on newer ecus with a good tool you could probably log 50 things and not notice an issue.  I imagine most shitty obd tools with an app you buy on amazon will be slow no matter what.  Might be good enough for Temps though.

VKZ24 wrote:
Zacks wrote:

Issues appear to be due to sampling rate.

Unless something has changed since I lasted used it, this is 100% true when using the Torque app via OBD-II.  The sampling rate can't keep up especially with anything that changes rapidly like RPM and oil pressure.

We've found that good old school mechanical gauges work best for oil pressure and water temperature combined with sensors for the idiot lights.

Torque app is one of the more worst apps. InCarDoc is significantly better and keeps up with refresh rate. Key difference is that torque app refreshes all the data, while InCarDoc is selective so it does not bug down.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),