Topic: What clear coat over acrylic airbrush.

So currently in the process of airbrushing our car for theme fun.  I pulled all the trim and put down a base coat and now I'm doing all the airbrushing.  But I'm gonna need to clearcoat it or it wont last.

Anybody have a rec on a clear that's compatible with acrylics?  Bonus points if it doesn't break the bank.

Also I'm not very good with the spray gun so I'll probably lay it on too thick and too thin at the same time somehow, maybe it'll be really thin but still have runs idk.

Re: What clear coat over acrylic airbrush.

Lookup "Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating Paint" ... I'm 99% sure this is what we used. I can't draw stick figures but my girlfriend is great at drawing and painted a bunch of stuff with an arts/crafts brush and acrylic paint that would normally wipe off with soap/water. I remember she sprayed it down with a clear spray paint that had some art brushes on the can, that I was almost sure is for indoor use only... but 2 years later in outdoor storage and it still looks great.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Thanks.  I'm actually doing the ENTIRE  car.  So I need something that comes in a gallon for an hvlp gun.  I think I would need like 15 cans of spray paint.

If you have to spray it with a gun, speedokote is readily available on amazon and reasonably priced (~$75/gallon) for automotive paint.

Lemons grade spray paint - 6 pack of rustoleum 2k clear ~$35

FWIW, it takes 4 cans of spray paint to coat my car top to bottom. Of course the minivan has more surface area but maybe you don't need to coat the roof.

It's a Lemons car, so don't be afraid to go to home depot, get a gallon of clear polycrylic and brush/roll on your paint as well. Or thin the hell out of it and spray it.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

5 (edited by Zacks 2023-09-08 08:36 AM)

I did the base coat in krylon cans, (they make a bonding primer which seemed a good choice to mate dissimilar paints) it took 6 cans for 1 layer and still wasn't completely opaque so I imagine I would need double that for a solid clear.  At $8 a can these days might as well order a gallon of thw good stuff.

Anyway for future reference to anyone else searching:  I called shermin Williams and they said they have a note for the 720 not to use over water born paint.  They didn't have the same note on the 740 but didn't do testing on this.

Called speedokote, they said most important was that the water based acrylic was 100% dry and the smr130 or 132 probably would work but again not tested.

Anyway I bought a gallon of the speedokote 130 cause its also acrylic, and gave it a go on a test panel i had tested the airbrush on.  Found that if I sprayed heavy it would bubble, but was fine if I kept it light.

Cleared the whole car and it was super hard to get a nice gloss but not go heavy so I really struggled and ended up with some texture in the clear that might cut and buff out?  Meh Lemons, I just wanna make all my hard work not peel off.

Anyway might have been better with the 132 as that's similar to Sherman's 740 with less voc.  Either way the speedokote didn't do anything crazy like melt all the paint or whatever.  Oh and they make cheaper clear at $75 but $15 to ship and the 130 at $105 had free shipping so...

Oh and btw the rustoleum is a "2x" clear not 2k.  They are just saying double the coverage.  2k paints are 2 parts you mix so you can't make em in a can.

You have now officially spent more time/effort/labor on your paint job than most people spend on their fueling, brake and tire strategy...

... You are winning at Lemons ...

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Lol!

I guess I'll admit that I broke my hand in a mtb crash and couldn't work or do 90% of my hobbies for 8 weeks, so once the cast came off an they put me in a brace I was like well let's paint!

Don't worry it's still lemonsy cause I suck at spray gun, so much orange peel!

Orange Peel? You mean "dimpled for aerodynamic performance specialty texture"?

KeiCarMike wrote:

Orange Peel? You mean "dimpled for aerodynamic performance specialty texture"?

I would be lying if I said  that hadn't crossed my mind lol!

10 (edited by weakhobo 2023-09-12 12:07 PM)

Buy a gallon of Kirker automotive clear. Its a real two part. It's inexpensive. Your index finger wont fall off from squeezing rattle can after rattle can. Being able to put the material down faster with your HVLP gun will help you keep that wet edge as well.

I'd do a test spot first to make sure the volatiles don't lift your handy work. Masking film is great for quickly controlling overspray.

Whatever you do, do NOT shoot this stuff in your attached garage. I'd recommend doing it outside. I wear a fresh carbon respirator when I use it. If your really being safe you use force ventilation. Do your own research and decide what your tolerance level for brain cell depletion is, you're already involved in Lemons so you're probably already on the challenged end of the spectrum.

I have used this stuff to paint my beach launched racing dinghy. I can attest to it's durability. My boat still has a good shine after years of dragging up the beach and living in a rack by the shore.