Topic: repacking wheel bearings

We had a front wheel bearing fail on our 01 Focus, so I thought it would be worth repacking some new bearings with high temp grease (NEO HP 800). I watched a few youtube videos, and they all made it look as simple as prying off the seals, clearing out the old grease, and putting in the new.

However, I found the SKF bearings we bought  (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph … p;jsn=1443) to be a real pain to work on. One side had a couple seals more or less like I'd seen in the videos, but the other has a metal ring that really didn't want to come loose. I eventually pried that side loose & took care of the grease, but now that it's back together, the side with that metal seal is a bit loose -- the seal can slide out of the outer race maybe 1/16" or something.

Does this sound like something that would be an issue once installed? If I squeeze both sides of the hub together, it seems to spin properly without any play.

Are SKF bearings like this particularly hard to repack or am I just missing something obvious?

Re: repacking wheel bearings

I disassembled several bearings before finally setting on NTN bearings for my grease repacking project. I chose them mostly because the ease of which I could get the seals in and out. The multi-layer seals (like the SKF & FAG bearings I disassembled) didn't inspire much confidence. Bonus was the NTN models were roller beaings for my application, which are better at handling loads than ball bearings.

You'll want to get seals on both sides off, completely disassemble the bearing and remove all the old grease, and the place them in a bearing grease packer (optional but easier and more fun).

For what it is worth, the HP800 grease did not solve our wheel bearing consumption problems.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

Considering our answer to wheel bearings was "graft another car's hubs to our suspension", I don't think you're wrong in your assessment of it being too difficult to pack.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

derekste wrote:

I disassembled several bearings before finally setting on NTN bearings for my grease repacking project. I chose them mostly because the ease of which I could get the seals in and out. The multi-layer seals (like the SKF & FAG bearings I disassembled) didn't inspire much confidence. Bonus was the NTN models were roller beaings for my application, which are better at handling loads than ball bearings.

Good to know, we'll give those a try.

For what it is worth, the HP800 grease did not solve our wheel bearing consumption problems.

That's a drag.

KeiCarMike wrote:

Considering our answer to wheel bearings was "graft another car's hubs to our suspension", I don't think you're wrong in your assessment of it being too difficult to pack.

Hah. We are considering switching to Mazda3 knuckles, but that's a project for the off-season, if at all.

Yeah, we were packing our bearings with the special timkin grease and it made no difference. One day and it was done, grease looked brand new, bearings were toast.

It was our offseason process last year, and still an ongoing process (see heroic fix in pittrace wrapup video) to dial in this year. Our bearings have not failed so far, but now other stuff has been.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

I've had better luck with just buying a premium wheel bearing and not touching it. It's probably because I suck... but the ones I've tried repacking with premium grease seem to fail quicker than an untouched Japanese or German wheel bearing. I don't believe I'm over or under packing the bearings. My guess is that a garage environment, even with a clean workbench, isn't a good environment to be exposing bearings. AFAIK these are assembled in some form of clean (or "clean-er") room... the tiniest bit of contamination will negate the work you've done no matter how good the grease is.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Ye, I got focus as well, its kinda just design issue over anything else. I did not try yet, but keeping bearings cool helps. aka brake duct to point at wheel hub. ALSO extreme offset of wheels can mess it up too. Focus is touchy like that....

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

duthehustle93 wrote:

I've had better luck with just buying a premium wheel bearing and not touching it.

Merkur bearings come in 2 part tapered roller bearing, not a sealed unit. inner and outer per hub. But yeah, I get that other cars have it much easier big_smile.

Our new hubs are sealed and much easier to deal with. The also come as hub assemblies and have lifetime warranty with FCPEuro...