Topic: Belt expiration

If the expiration date on a set of harness belts is "Dec 2023" are they valid on Dec 2 and 3 of 2023?

Asking for a ...uh, friend. Yeah a friend.

2 (edited by Zacks 2023-10-17 02:12 PM)

Re: Belt expiration

Probably wanna email the judge's (ie pagel) since they will be the ones actually checking and pass/failing your car...  just cause someone else got through tech that way in the past doesn't mean I'd trust it personally.

It's my belief that the belts expire at the end of the month shown....Y'all should be fine

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Dec 31st, also some companies will re-cert them. It's typically cheaper then a new set. Dumb rule IMO.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

5 (edited by rb92673 2023-10-17 04:39 PM)

ukemike wrote:

If the expiration date on a set of harness belts is "Dec 2023" are they valid on Dec 2 and 3 of 2023?

Asking for a ...uh, friend. Yeah a friend.

Yes and if you have any problems, I have an extra set in my trailer and will also be at Sonoma.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Just to clarify/for future people searching the Forums (lol): Belts expire at the END of the month listed.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Dec 31st, also some companies will re-cert them. It's typically cheaper then a new set. Dumb rule IMO.

Actually it's not.  The belts have a certain amount of designed stretch in them.  Over time that stretch goes away and they become rigid.  So whatever impact deceleration the car gets, your pink lil bod gets too rather than a bit of give.  Think of it as crumple zone.  Also you need to replace belts even if brand new after a crash because they only get stretched once.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

Actually it's not.  The belts have a certain amount of designed stretch in them.  Over time that stretch goes away and they become rigid.  So whatever impact deceleration the car gets, your pink lil bod gets too rather than a bit of give.  Think of it as crumple zone.  Also you need to replace belts even if brand new after a crash because they only get stretched once.

2 years is silly. OEM belts have to last many many years.

Mr.Yuck wrote:

FIA belts are good for 5yrs FYI.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

Mr.Yuck wrote:
cheseroo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

https://25.media.tumblr.com/646b4dcd064e2e77ce946067ae1ac432/tumblr_mm8gulQvoz1s3g3ago1_500.gif

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I'm just saying 2 years is silly. I can see 5 depending on conditions. I was in a very bad accident in a vehicle that was 10 years old, it had well over 100k on it and the belts did their job.

cheseroo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

I was under the impression that strength is the issue.

Nylon is very light sensitive so the SFI times it out conservatively. If you store your belts out of the sun, they'd easily last 5 years, but the rating is only good for 2. Nylon loses 50% of its stength over 2 years of UV exposure.

Poly is used in the FIA, doesn't have the same sensitivity and therefore is allowed for 5 years.

Nylon has more stretch then poly.  Manufacturers do specifically engineer the stretch of poly belts for that stretch and its different for the lap belt than the shoulders.  Poly is preferred because it streches less than Nylon.  Poly also retains elasticity much longer, like you said, Cheese.

13 (edited by chaase 2023-10-20 11:31 AM)

Mr.Yuck wrote:
cheseroo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

OEM belts aren't subject to the same forces as our race belts. If your car only runs a few Lemons races a year, a longer expiration may be fine but Lemons doesn't know what you do outside of Lemons.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I rock climb a lot, all soft goods "time out" but testing has shown 5he loss in strength is quite minimal even for UV bleached nylon, only stuff that test horribly bad is stuff left outside on a mountain for ages.

Also my experience has been that our ropes do not stiffen with time, but do stiffen significantly with repeated loading (falls)

Seat belts are much less stretchy than climbing rope

Oem belts also have an explosive pre tensioner so I highly doubt they see much less force...

I know that's not very scientific...

In my OPINION 2 Years does seem really short.  But whatcha gonna do they gotta call it somewhere I guess.

If 2 years for SFI belts is too short, buy FIA belts that are good for 5.

By the way if you time it right, you can get SFI belts that are good for 2.5+ years.  Crow sends out notices when it is changing tags.  In March 2023 they sent out notice that all new belts would be tagged Dec 2025.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Zacks wrote:

Oem belts also have an explosive pre tensioner so I highly doubt they see much less force...

I unknowingly chucked one of these in the garbage can during our latest build and it went off like a hand grenade. Pretty cool.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

Thanks all! I appreciate the input.

I have a Crow harness and I think they do more than just inspect and re-certify them. I believe they re-web them. I'm planning to ask for pull up lap belts this time, even if it does cost a bit more.  BTW, I'm a big fan of Crow. They've got the product, the price, and the service.  Few companies get so much so right.

I agree that the two year expiration is short, but take that up with SFI.  The Lemons rules are driven by liability and relying on published standards is a good way of mitigating liability. It's more a hassle that it is a cost. Last time around cost me about $80 which is about 2 oil changes and a 2.5 gallon jug of distilled water for coolant. That's nothing, but taking the seat out and fishing the anti-submarine strap through the seat is a pain.