Topic: Reviews of "Garmin Catalyst" for Lemon's Racing?

Hello,
We have been looking at adding a Garmin Catalyst to our car (Oktoberfest Racing #414, BMW 2002) and I was curious if anyone here on the forum has used one during an actual race where you had multiple drivers.  We would love to get some feedback on how it worked  before we drop $1k on this gadget.
We currently use a GoPro 5 and an iphone with Harry's Lap timer. This set up is finicky and we have had multiple races where for some reason the app didn't properly trigger and we had no lap data record. We want something more reliable to capture lap data and the "coaching" the app gives is intriguing.

Re: Reviews of "Garmin Catalyst" for Lemon's Racing?

It does work, and helps a lot. Specially during practice. During the race the "suggestions" it provides are somewhat useless if there is any traffic. So its useful as in car video.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

Worth every penny.  We've even considered creating a little rental business and buying a few.  Get to learn how it works in practice, including a "practice pit stop"  (We dont touch it)

I bought one for use in time attack but I put it in our Lemons cars as well during races. We're the other way around... I actually turn off the lap timer display during races because I don't want my drivers fixated on lap times. We'll communicate pace to the driver over comms from our pit, but I'm fairly confident having lap timer displayed w/ a delta is going to land us more black flags. It's great for looking back at footage and reviewing data, and it's way easier to find footage since you can look it up based off time, lap #, and turn #.

I think it's better suited for HDPE/time attack/practice days... every race we end up with corrupted footage and data (not a huge amount, maybe less than 10%), and that corrupted data/footage always seems to be when something cool happens. The catalyst seems like it can handle endurance racing, but it doesn't seem like it was designed with endurance racing in mind. One annoyance is it's one more thing to deal with during pit stops. When you hit the kill switch, it turns off the camera (which is powered off the catalyst dock), after driver change/fuel, you turn the car back on but there's a delay between the camera turning back on+catalyst seeing the camera, once that's on you can start the session. Long story short, someone in your crew needs to be playing with the catalyst and you need to start the car earlier rather than it being the last thing you do during a pit stop. Finally, we've found that we end up with less corrupted footage if we stop the session, let the garmin save it, and then start a new session every driver change (rather than leaving it running as Bricoop mentioned). The coaching system also wasn't designed for use in a crowded field and with multiple different drivers. It's designed to work on an open track with one driver and to improve that drivers consistency and performance within their specific limits using their data.

It's been worth every penny since we'll use it between all cars (especially worth it for TA cars), but I personally wouldn't have spent the money on it for use only in endurance racing. The driving coach is the biggest selling point, and it's hard to apply w/ multiple drivers in a crowded field, we personally leave the lap timer display off, so during Lemons races we basically use it as a fancy dashcam. Resolution on the Garmin is also pretty good, but grainy when compared to a Hero 5. (we currently use both a hero 5 and catalyst).

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Thanks for the feedback! I was wondering about the video quality and I'm a bit disappointed to hear its grainy. On our team I'm the only one who pays attention to the lap timer so I don't think it will distract them. I think what will distract them is trying to ignore the coaching when in traffic.
The rules say we are not to fiddle with any go pro's etc and having to wait for it to save sessions and starting a new one for every driver sounds like it could take minutes at every pit stop.

No problem! Lookup "full ass racing" on youtube if you want to compare... i have videos from both the catalyst and a Hero 5 on there. Grainy may be a bit harsh, but you can definitely tell a difference in quality. If you decide to compare, the videos from the catalyst say catalyst on it and the Gopro footage will have an overlay on it... probably lookup pinata miata gopro footage since it's the only open top car throughout the videos.

The garmin coach talks to you. There are ways to do it, but it's a pain to get the catalyst AND comms to work with your helmet comms. The built in speaker is worthless in a racecar, you need a headset.

Hmm, maybe they've never noticed but we've run the catalyst in 3 races so far and they've never said anything. Perhaps it's because the catalyst is on our switch panel so it's hard to distinguish if I'm touching the catalyst or hitting switches with everyone huddled around that area. Oh, I've also had to pull my glove off once or twice when the catalyst didn't work through my glove which is definitely a no-no.

Full Ass Racing

duthehustle93 wrote:

I bought one for use in time attack but I put it in our Lemons cars as well during races. We're the other way around... I actually turn off the lap timer display during races because I don't want my drivers fixated on lap times. We'll communicate pace to the driver over comms from our pit, but I'm fairly confident having lap timer displayed w/ a delta is going to land us more black flags.

Can confirm, this is a normal happening. I have had many conversations in the Penalty Box to the tune of:

Me: "What happened?"

Driver: (Points at predictive lap timer) "I was on a good lap and thought I could [Real Racer Thing like "brake deeper" or "turn in later" or whatever]."

I'm not saying this is categorical, but "Driving to a lap timer" is a thing that is sometimes problematic for drivers who aren't disciplined or experienced. YMMV, but I'd make sure I trust my driver isn't going to blindly drive to a lap time based on it before I install and turn on the display.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Sorry to hear you guys are having issues.  I'm pretty certain we do not touch the catalyst anymore.

Here is the quality of our videos:  https://youtu.be/kwL0AhJ7wL4?si=V13OGn2 … amp;t=4160 

Haven't had any corruption issues either.  Make sure to get a 512GB memory card.

Bricoop wrote:

Sorry to hear you guys are having issues.  I'm pretty certain we do not touch the catalyst anymore.

Here is the quality of our videos:  https://youtu.be/kwL0AhJ7wL4?si=V13OGn2 … amp;t=4160 

Haven't had any corruption issues either.  Make sure to get a 512GB memory card.

I've tried a handful of different SD cards, all top-notch SD cards and it doesn't seem to be an SD card issue. The battery failed on my first catalyst and this happens on my replacement catalyst, as well. IMO, I don't think it's an issue with the unit, I just think endurance racing is really pushing the intended design of these things. I don't regret buying it, it just has its place. There's a catalyst group on facebook that I follow and if I've noticed anything it seems like each unit seems to have a different set of small quirks.

Full Ass Racing

I gave in to the urge and bought one. We will use it for the first time at Buttonwillow in a couple of weeks. We'll play with it on Friday but will turn off the coaching during the actual race. I have been in a best lap time rut at Buttonwillow for a while now, here's hoping this gadget can give me some useful pointers!

Is this what happens when you're car stops blowing up and you aren't allowed to spend money on go fast bits?

We tried one this past weekend at NCM, verdict is that it was good for practice, but sucks for the race itself. TrackAddict makes a much better lap timer for the actual race.

It's doesn't handle turning off and back on well. Resets sessions to eagerly, too many menus and dialogs to get to where you need (especially for driver changes).

Basically resets itself and forgets where it is after every off/on action (like I get it, I don't need to see the disclaimer every time I turn it on).

Not enough controllability for settings.

No video preview of recordings from the second card slot,

etc.. etc..

Hopefully they release a "lap timer only" mode in the future that will make it better than just something built for HPDE drivers with too much cash in their pocket.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

KeiCarMike wrote:

We tried one this past weekend at NCM, verdict is that it was good for practice, but sucks for the race itself. TrackAddict makes a much better lap timer for the actual race.

It's doesn't handle turning off and back on well. Resets sessions to eagerly, too many menus and dialogs to get to where you need (especially for driver changes).

Basically resets itself and forgets where it is after every off/on action (like I get it, I don't need to see the disclaimer every time I turn it on).

Not enough controllability for settings.

No video preview of recordings from the second card slot,

etc.. etc..

Hopefully they release a "lap timer only" mode in the future that will make it better than just something built for HPDE drivers with too much cash in their pocket.

I believe hitting pause session, when you enter the pits, will fix your issue.

delacruz7 wrote:

I gave in to the urge and bought one. We will use it for the first time at Buttonwillow in a couple of weeks. We'll play with it on Friday but will turn off the coaching during the actual race. I have been in a best lap time rut at Buttonwillow for a while now, here's hoping this gadget can give me some useful pointers!

What did you think of it?  Fun running around there with you.

Team CYBERFUKD

I can offer mostly positive feedback on the Garmin. We used it in practice on Friday before the race and I got some good tips from the unit. I was able to drop my best lap from a 2:27.3 to 2:25.11. This is in spite of the fact we ran old tires for this race. We were starting to collect half worn tires from all our previous races and decided to use this race to finish them off. It was a collection of 2 year old Yokohama's, Dunlop Direzza's, and Falken Azenis that were all down to the wear bars. They definitely didn't inspire confidence and were quite greasy.
As for the Garmin we couldn't use the voice feature, too many issues with bluetooth ear bud volume and in the future will use a direct wired connection. It uses a Mono  3.5mm connection and  I didn't have a long enough cord to reach our helmets. I also wired it to 12v constant so during pit stops we only had to push "resume session" to get it going again. I created a "team" profile as a driver option and we were all grouped under that. We had the coaching turned off for the race since we could not hear it anyway.
On Saturday one of our drivers hit that nasty pothole on the inside of the turn after Phil Hill so hard that it knocked the Garmin off its magnetic holder. Luckily the unit was not damaged.
Under the this forum for pics and videos I have posted some of the video from both Garmin and GoPro. The GoPro is much more interesting to watch IMHO. The GoPro overheated once again and we don't have any video of them in the late afternoon. The Garmin with a 256GB card recorded beautifully all weekend. (Sandisk Extreme).
Cyberfukd, Congrats on a great race! 9th OA and 3 in C. #1 and 2 in C class were pretty damn fast!

Thanks Delacruz.  Probably the best weekend we've had.  2-man team, no black flags, old mixed tires we took to the cords and boiled brake fluid.  C winner had a crate 350.  One of our drivers had immigration issues so we didn't run our comms, or radio.  I really wish I had an onboard for when the steering wheel came off exiting the bus stop!  This was the best field from a west coast perspective.  No full course cautions Saturday morning was an absolute dream (But probably cost us the win as we can 2 stop a 7.5 hour race, but not an eight hour).

Good work on the constant 12V, that's the move I didn't share as I wasn't sure of the legality.  We don't run the coach, just the delta display.  See you at Sonoma.

duthehustle93 wrote:

No problem! Lookup "full ass racing" on youtube if you want to compare... i have videos from both the catalyst and a Hero 5 on there. Grainy may be a bit harsh, but you can definitely tell a difference in quality. If you decide to compare, the videos from the catalyst say catalyst on it and the Gopro footage will have an overlay on it... probably lookup pinata miata gopro footage since it's the only open top car throughout the videos.

The garmin coach talks to you. There are ways to do it, but it's a pain to get the catalyst AND comms to work with your helmet comms. The built in speaker is worthless in a racecar, you need a headset.

Hmm, maybe they've never noticed but we've run the catalyst in 3 races so far and they've never said anything. Perhaps it's because the catalyst is on our switch panel so it's hard to distinguish if I'm touching the catalyst or hitting switches with everyone huddled around that area. Oh, I've also had to pull my glove off once or twice when the catalyst didn't work through my glove which is definitely a no-no.

We feed our Catalyst to our camera and comms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfnRqKvj35k

We turned off the coaching for the race. The electronic whine in the video is not heard in the car by the driver. We were running the Catalyst off car power in that video.

I do like the lap timer. It is nice to show improvement. While others mentioned a concern for black flags, being a few seconds off our best lap time is fine. Being 7 to 10 seconds off is to slow.

We have had reliability problems with the Catalyst. We have had it about a year. The stock mount is just magnetic so we put a zip tie around the whole thing. That quickly got replaced by a heavy duty mount which is more of a mechanical attachment. Running off a USB battery was more reliable than adding car power. The Catalyst worked great at Hallett in May then would not connect to the camera at Road America in October. Garmin sent us a new redesigned mount.

GoPro v Garmin Cameras:

I really like my Garmin VIRB XE and VIRB Edit rendering software. The VIRB just worked when my GoPro Hero 3 or 4 just failed a LOT.

I bought a Hero 8 for live streaming and telemetry. I have not gotten any telemetry from the Hero 8 while live streaming. I am wondering if starting the video in a live stream somehow shuts off or ignores the GPS and accelerometer.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z