Topic: Fuel filler hose relocation

Hey, so we are working on a new car that we are hoping to bring soon to a race, we will be running the stock fuel tank and fuel pump but I was wondering if the fuel filler could be could be mover or adjusted for quicker and safer refueling.

Thanks for any and all help!

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

Re: Fuel filler hose relocation

IIRC, the only modification allowed to the stock system is you can remove the little flap in the fuel neck.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

IIRC, the only modification allowed to the stock system is you can remove the little flap in the fuel neck.

I'm still amazed the number of teams with that flap still in place. They are easy to spot because their fuel stops can be timed with a sundial.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Yep... no modifications to stock fueling system what-so-ever... other than gutting the flap as mentioned. This includes adding a funnel or adapter to the filler during fueling. Must go from fuel jug-stock filler neck.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

VKZ24 wrote:
chaase wrote:

I'm still amazed the number of teams with that flap still in place. They are easy to spot because their fuel stops can be timed with a sundial.

Just remember. If you aren't actually trying to win, it doesn't matter how long the pit stop takes. 8-)

On the other hand,  you have psychos like us that can do a full stop in like 2.5min and that's dropping at least 15 gallons of fuel into the cell.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

A little more detail would be helpful.  I'm envisioning a 60s/70s Pontiac/whatever with a rear bumper license plate fill which I see as something I wouldn't like to race with.  Or something like my Imp where the OEM filler location is at the absolute furthest point forward in the car where it would be the 2nd thing crushed after the flimsy bumper. 

As always, context is everything and if the stock filler is in a location where it is part of the crush structure I might consider a fuel cell.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

7 (edited by VKZ24 2023-08-22 08:35 AM)

chaase wrote:

Just remember. If you aren't actually trying to win, it doesn't matter how long the pit stop takes. 8-)

On the other hand,  you have psychos like us that can do a full stop in like 2.5min and that's dropping at least 15 gallons of fuel into the cell.

Yeah, we'll probably never win overall, but it's not because we're not trying!  A slow pit stop can negate fast laps out of the track very easily.  We typically do a 3 minute stop, which includes dumping 13 gallons of fuel into the OE tank, with the flapper removed of course.

Captain

Not sure why all the hang up on a flapper is. It takes what...2 seconds to open? you more than make up for the with Aero (sarcasm)

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Not sure why all the hang up on a flapper is. It takes what...2 seconds to open? you more than make up for the with Aero (sarcasm)

I think they are referring to the restrictor inside the fill neck so you can't accidentally insert a diesel pump into your car.  You can take a hole saw to it so that you can get a larger nozzle into the fill neck.

I hate holding gas jugs, so the faster I can get the gas in the car the better for my back.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

I think they are referring to the restrictor inside the fill neck so you can't accidentally insert a diesel pump into your car.  You can take a hole saw to it so that you can get a larger nozzle into the fill neck.

I hate holding gas jugs, so the faster I can get the gas in the car the better for my back.

ahh yes that is a MUST.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

11 (edited by Zacks 2023-08-27 09:52 AM)

Just curious how y'all time pit stops.

We have never run stopwatch at our pits, I've just looked at the "difference to previous lap", but that includes time spent driving in the pits lane and a slower lap due to not having the same speed on the strait (at least at our track you trade the main strait for the pit)

Are you guys counting that extra time as part of the pit (I do cause if you could stay out longer and pit less it's time you would save)

We had the flap in our first race and pits where 5-7min (we suck)

Took the flap out and changed jugs and last race were around 3-4min of course some where way longer when we checked oil or whatever

I imagine tank size effects it as well, a 20gal cell would take at least 3 jugs, we can only do 10gal at a fill (tank holds 13?)

We time it from when the car stops at the pit spot since that is what we can truly control.

We're okay with pit stops but we're sub-3 minutes from stoppped w/ old driver->car started w/ new driver + 10 gallons + cool suit top off. The lowest hanging fruit is everyone has a role and try to let that person do that same role every time. We've found that it makes our pit stops safer, we're less likely to make a mistake, and as long as we're safe/smooth/don't make mistakes we'll be sub-3 minutes every time. We also rehearse a bit on friday... just focus on being safe and smooth and they'll get efficient on their own. When we were new, trying to get our rhythm, and trying to be fast... we did some really unsafe stuff.

Full Ass Racing

14 (edited by VKZ24 2023-08-28 01:30 PM)

duthehustle93 wrote:

We're okay with pit stops but we're sub-3 minutes from stoppped w/ old driver->car started w/ new driver + 10 gallons + cool suit top off.

How many involved with your stop?  I think we could shave off some time with a fourth person, but we typically only have three at most races.

We try to have the same person do the fueling each time if possible, but otherwise we just assign a person to a particular side of the car.  The person on the left side does the cool shirt connection and left side belts. The person on the right does the ice cooler refill, radio connection, and right side belts.  If we had a 4th available, we'd love to have someone handle windshield cleaning, but unless it's late in the day (late day sun can be a b*tch on the last driver's vision) we have to skip it to avoid spending the extra time.

Captain

Typically 4 people (3 crew/1 driver), but the 3rd crew does cool suit, a car walkaround, and keeps an eye on us and yells at us to keep us on track. So the 4th spot is a "nice to have" but not necessary. We have a similar setup... driver side does all driver side stuff, passenger side hops inside the car and does all passenger side stuff. Driver does absolutely nothing and we are really rough and personal trying to get them harnessed in.. we all have groped eachothers' private parts by now lol.

Out of everything, fueling is the only thing that will rotate every driver change... never let your new driver do fuel, if he spills fuel on himself you end up in this weird situation where you have to decide to be unsafe and put them in the car, or someone else who isn't prepped to drive has to hop in.

I think we remember to clean our windshield once every 2 races if were lucky on the miata lol. The 735i is self-cleaning because it overheats once/event and the radiator cap is located at the bottom of the windshield.

Full Ass Racing

thanks for all the help!

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!