Topic: Nobody asked or cares, but here's our story.

I was disappointed to learn last week that in Jay and Nick’s infinite wisdom, they elected to omit mentioning, or even showing the class winners in the High Plains Drifter, Full 24 wrap up video. While I understand that they don’t care about us, and that the story of a car/team that didn’t fail spectacularly isn’t really what people are interested in, it was a big deal to us. Please bear with me while I share the story of my people: Class B winner, [Floginagean] Racing – MK4 Golf 4 door, 5 speed, NA 2.0 4 cyl with the Ken Block tribute livery. This was our 4th race.

We started our Lemons journey over a decade ago when my team co-captain suggested it to me and we went out and bought an E30 to start the build. Unfortunately, life happened before we got that done we ended up selling the BMW and didn’t talk about it again for years. Fast forward a decade and we’re ready to give it another go. We attended a race to see what we were getting into, read the rules a dozen times, all the forums, and found a car that was all but abandoned in an alley near downtown. We gave the guy who owned it $100 and we got to work.

Our first race, The BFE GP 2022. We passed tech on the first go (Thanks Pagel for answering all our questions during the build process!) and proceeded to have a very uneventful race. The car actually was great and we were fairly quick, but we made a million rookie mistakes. Pit stops were too frequent and too slow. We came into our paddock spot too often. We put the car in the dirt a couple of times. And so on. Ended up 7th in class and excited for High Plains drifter in a few months.

Second race. High Plains Drifter 2022. The full 24. We addressed the few small issues we had with the car between races and added a 5th driver to the team for this one. It was a little rainy for the first 6 hours of the race and our little car is just a beast in the damp and we were near the front of the whole thing. Then things started to go wrong. First one of the struts came loose. Then we lost a wheel bearing, and in replacing that we ruined the half shaft. Then it was just kind of one thing after another and we ended up spending several hours in the paddock and bartering for parts that we failed to bring. We also killed the transmission during this race. Anyway, I think we were 8th or 9th in that one.

Third race. BFE GP 2023. Over the winter we addressed the issues we had previously which had us welding quite a few things that came loose in place because if you think Loctite is good, you should see how a weld holds. We also rebuilt the transmission and were feeling good. This race started like the others and we were thrilled that it was raining again. Car ran great the first day with the exception of the rebuilt transmission. It was hot garbage and 1st and 2nd gears were nearly unusable. Another unpleasant development was that I became extremely motion sick while driving the car. This had been a minor issue in previous races, but this time it was bad. Like a 90 minute stint had me throwing up in my mouth while the team scrambled to get the next driver ready and once I got out of the car, I was done for the weekend. At the end of day one, we were 1st in class and 2nd overall. Day 2 was not so good. A couple of hours in and half the exhaust fell off the car and we got black flagged. After getting that “fixed” we went back out into a torrential downpour. It was so bad that water was cascading into the car and causing the windshield to fog up. I’m pretty sure most cars had this problem, but we had no way to address it and driving the car with zero visibility seemed like a bad plan. We were forced to come in until the rain let up a bit. Anyway, we ended that race 6th or 7th in class.

Fourth race. High Plains Drifter, Full 24 2023. Our expectation for this race was to have 6 drivers and 1 crew (my now 16-year-old step son). 1 driver bowed out about a month before the race for family reasons. A second driver fell ill on Friday, the day before the race, and was too sick to even attend. Our crew member was deemed ineligible on Saturday because I failed to read the rules properly (he was 15 on race day, with his 16th birthday 3 days later), so now we’re down to 4 total. Our ages range from late 40s on the youthful end to early 70s on the geriatric end. I’m also was still unsure if I’d be able to drive much due to my motion sickness. I did have a bunch of things that I was doing to attempt to mitigate it and, in the end, I was able to run 3, 2+ hour stints without puking my guts out. If anybody wants to know what worked for me, just ask. I’m happy to share!

Now to the car. Our solution to our dumpster fire transmission was to go to the local Pull n Pay and grab one off another golf. This ended up causing 2 problems. 1st, the “new” tranny was out of a 1.8T and not a 2.0 like we’ve got. It still works, but the gear ratios are different (3rd and 4th gear are a bit taller) which would be fine, except for the 2nd problem which was that 2nd gear was just as bad as 2nd in the old tranny, which is to say unusable. This combination of problems turned our car, basically, into a 1 speed. 3rd. Truth be told, I would upshift to 4th on both straights for a brief moment, but that was the extent of the shifting. 4 shifts per lap, total. As you can imagine, accelerating out of corners 6, 8, and 11 was glacial at best. Our fastest lap time was more than 6 seconds slower than our fastest lap from previous races. While this sucked when driving, it had the benefit of using less gas. We could now run 50 laps (2 hours, 15 minutes-ish) per stint which means we were able to do this in 11 stints rather than 12 and save a pit stop. We also had specific concerns about tires, brakes and wheel bearings because we were running the same sets of each as we did in the previous race. I know. It’s unheard of, but with all the rain in June, the tires and brakes were like new, and we just decided to accept the risk and run the wheel bearings until the failed…which to our collective shock, did not happen. As it turns out, nothing else failed either and we were able to just keep the car on the track turning slow ass laps.

We were far from the fastest car in Class B and had this race been another 30-45 minutes, we probably would have lost to that Crossfire that was closing fast in the later stages of the race. I guess the moral of the story is: Prepare your car well. Take calculated risks. Stay on track turning laps. Race clean (no black flags) and you too can win your class in a slow car.

I know that there are no heroic fixes or catastrophic failures in my story, but it was still a surprise and super exciting for our team to actually win. I think it would be that way for any team. Yes, it’s fun just to be out there and hanging out with your friends and working on your car, etc., but I would put good money that if you asked every team if they would like to win, they’d say yes. So a win matters to those of us driving, who have dedicated more time and money than we care to admit to preparing their car, buying gear and tools and dragging all manner of crap to the race track for the weekend. It just plain sucks for the race organizers to belittle our effort by ignoring us when, out of blind luck, we come out on top. It probably won’t happen again and it might have been nice to share the wrap up video with people so that we can brag on ourselves a little. Oh well.

We haven’t decided if we’re done or not. Anybody want to buy a race-ready, class winning car? Ours might be for sale.

Re: Nobody asked or cares, but here's our story.

I'm with you, 110%. Hey wait, I'm the co-captain neutral

#42 FLØG MÆT Racing

First, congrats on your Class B win!  However if you think Class B winners get no love, us Class A folk definitely feel your pain. 

Winning overall is even harder as many past winners could tell you.  Besides having a fast enough car, EVERY circumstance has to line up perfectly.  No mechanical failures, no penalty box visits, no extra stops, and not getting caught up in any mess not of your own doing.

This is my 15th year, and I've always been in a Class A car.  I have been lucky enough to win overall n two different cars, on two different teams.  After my first win back in 2008 I was SOOOOOO excited to take the checkered flag as the winner, I did an extra lap to be sure it was real!  Excited to get to "Victory Lane" I was disappointed to discover such a place was only in my head.  The overall winner was mentioned LAST, kind of like an after thought.   Yeah we got $1000 in nickels, but no trophy for the mantle....bummer.  My 'winning glory' was short lived.  Oh well. 

I'm on my 3rd team now with another Class A car we have been running since 2015.  We are still have a competitive car as we've had a few top 5's including a 3rd, but to win will overall will require a LOT of stars to align.   I think I've done over 50 races now, and plan to continue even without any glory after a miracle win...LOL.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Thanks! You obviously get it and I appreciate that. While our win was at least 50% luck, but it still would have been nice to be mentioned, because it IS a big deal to all of us. I actually felt bad for the team that won overall in our race because when they were handing out awards, they announced that they couldn't care less about them. Ouch.

We've talked a little about building a new car and competing in "A", but you nailed how hard that would be. Actually one of our major concerns going forward is that we'll get bumped up into "A" after winning "B" and even though we got 5th overall, we were 23 laps behind the winners, so not close.

They hardly ever mention the A and B winners in the wrap up videos. It's their shtick.  If you want glory, you have to race in C class. Congrats on your win, especially in a 24.  Welcome to A.

-14 time B class loser

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Winning a class is way harder than getting on the wrap-up. Congrats!

They've used me as the (bad) example a couple of times. Racing is an organization problem, not a speed problem. That means you fixed the hard part. Now you can hunt for glory as an IOE juggernaut!

That guy

Congrats on your class win, and nice writeup!

Don't take the lack of mention on the wrap-up video personally. As a Miata team, we're thrilled when our car is at least in the background of a shot for a few frames, because we're sure not getting mentioned. Didn't even get mentioned the time we won overall smile

Jeff

Turbo-Encabulators -- 1999 Mazda Miata -- Winner overall, BFE GP '22, runner-up a bunch of times

Teuobk wrote:

Don't take the lack of mention on the wrap-up video personally. As a Miata team, we're thrilled when our car is at least in the background of a shot for a few frames, because we're sure not getting mentioned. Didn't even get mentioned the time we won overall smile

Jeff

lol I feel your pain .. i think we've run 6 races with our miata and the best we've gotten was like a quarter of our bumper and then they switched to the next clip. I'm pretty confident they woulda let it run longer if our damn miata didn't ruin the footage.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

duthehustle93 wrote:
Teuobk wrote:

Jeff

lol I feel your pain .. i think we've run 6 races with our miata and the best we've gotten was like a quarter of our bumper and then they switched to the next clip. I'm pretty confident they woulda let it run longer if our damn miata didn't ruin the footage.

We actually got a quick mention in the June race for our new theme and have seen our car in the background other times. We've also made the joke several times that its a good thing that we don't drive a Miata or an E30 or we'd never make the reel. LOL.

The wrapup video ROI tends to be pretty good for Lancias, and there's plenty of old Betas lying around, I'm just saying...

1977 Lancia Scorpion

Very entertaining write up - congratulations on your class win!

Though _I'm_ doing something else first simply to practice a build (and to get to pass something on track even once and a while); my second attempt will be a try for the Grand Prize of Lemons:  "The Index Of Effluency"

(... it's gonna take a while...)

So: are you ready for the next challenge?

Same happened to us. We won C class at NCM and there was no tagline mentioning it in the wrap-up video this past week. The B class winner was a Saab too, equally noteworthy.

This was race number 8 for us on a car that had raced Lemons for a handful of years before we had it. In that time every race we've had monumental difficulties (not many even know what a merkur is; certainly not finding parts at your local autozone or junkyard). So we've spent many hundreds of hours designing, fabricating or adapting our own parts simply so crap doesn't break every time (fortunately labor as we guess is still "free"). Even with the win, we're now staring down transmission rebuild #2 and figuring out what all has exploded in the rear drivetrain.

No worries though. My team is a good group that relishes in the challenge of racing with such a monumental piece of crap. And for every car that can simply go to somewhere like summit or bimmerworld to get performance parts that we pass, helps validate our hundreds of hours of work more than any mention in a wrap-up video could ever do.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

13 (edited by rozap_ 2023-11-27 01:26 PM)

I think we've been in all the wrapup videos for the races we've entered. All you have to do is bring an interesting car.

I have a spare X1/9 I'll sell you. The problem is then you'll have an X1/9.

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9