Topic: Atlanta in a few weeks

I am with Pocketdog Racing and will be attending our first race in the upcoming weeks. Just wanted to say hello and start to get to know some of the folks we will be attempting to run laps with.

Stan from Birmingham said he would be at the race with half of his crew. Any other local-ish to Central Alabama teams making the Atlanta race?

Re: Atlanta in a few weeks

We're also a new team with a very undecided team name. This will be our first race at Road Atlanta in a 3600lb Class C spec boat.

I'm getting a little nervous about how much time we have until race day. The car still hasn't moved under it's own power in about 2.5 years. Every time I think I'm close, I realize I'm missing some random nut/bolt/fitting that I misplaced over the past several months so it turns into yet another trip to the store.

I think I finally have everything I need though, it's just piecing things together. I spent about an hour last night measuring, cutting, and assembling AN lines for the oil cooler.

Cheat'N Slow and Projectile Dysfunction should both be there, and both teams are also from the Birmingham area. They are friendly and helpful, but then most of the teams at the race will be, too. Lemons teams are generally glad to help out other teams, especially new teams. Don't be afraid to ask questions and admit to being rookies.  We all were, once.

Dadbods Racing will be there with our very experienced Mitsubishi Eclipse #102 (Mitzi).  She has more than 12 years of Lemons experience even we as a team only have 3.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse because 90’s hot hatches rule.

Zanetapos wrote:

We're also a new team with a very undecided team name. This will be our first race at Road Atlanta in a 3600lb Class C spec boat.

I'm getting a little nervous about how much time we have until race day. The car still hasn't moved under it's own power in about 2.5 years. Every time I think I'm close, I realize I'm missing some random nut/bolt/fitting that I misplaced over the past several months so it turns into yet another trip to the store.

I think I finally have everything I need though, it's just piecing things together. I spent about an hour last night measuring, cutting, and assembling AN lines for the oil cooler.

Our shitbox hasn't moved under its own power since early 2011 and we have every intention of making the start of the race....lap 2 isn't on the docket yet, but lap 1 we gots this.

I don't want to toss the list of what we need to accomplish, but the list is long enough that we will be tired pulling into the track. Anyone seeing a half red, half yellow Thunderbird stop by and say hello.

6 (edited by Zanetapos 2023-11-29 10:23 AM)

lowbudgetjunk wrote:
Zanetapos wrote:

Our shitbox hasn't moved under its own power since early 2011 and we have every intention of making the start of the race....lap 2 isn't on the docket yet, but lap 1 we gots this.

I don't want to toss the list of what we need to accomplish, but the list is long enough that we will be tired pulling into the track. Anyone seeing a half red, half yellow Thunderbird stop by and say hello.

We're definitely in a similar boat. I mistakenly took this whole project on solo but I did celebrate a win on Monday, I got the engine started and running.

My 'short'list is:
- Install dash (and dash bar)
- Install cage padding
- Install fire suppression
- Ensure firewall is sealed properly
- Plumb intercooler piping
- Install gauges
- Wiring + kill switch (already pre-made a harness on the bench)
- Replace front passenger brake disc
- Bleed brakes (replace with race fluid)
- Bleed coolant system (water only)
- Install harness
- Weld sunroof panel
- Make excess/unused OEM wiring look significantly less sketchy
- Re-time injection pump
- Re-torque all front suspension/steering items
- Get it to the exhaust shop on the 4th
- Get it to an alignment shop on the 4th
- Test drive?

Come say hi to the wonderfully luxurious 1985 Mercedes 300SD (if it's makes it). Otherwise we will be in a '95 Lexus SC400 with an interesting blue/orange/silver paint/wrap scheme

Zanetapos wrote:

We're definitely in a similar boat. I mistakenly took this whole project on solo but I did celebrate a win on Monday, I got the engine started and running.

My 'short'list is:
- Install cage padding
- Install gauges
- Install harness
- Weld sunroof panel
- Re-time injection pump
- Test drive?

Come say hi to the wonderfully luxurious 1985 Mercedes 300SD (if it's makes it). Otherwise we will be in a '95 Lexus SC400 with an interesting blue/orange/silver paint/wrap scheme

Oh man, really rooting for the W126 here.  I know it seems like a long list, but, fortunately, a lot of it looks like it could be done Friday/night at the track with helping hands.  I believe Knoxvegas Lowballers have OM617 experience (but perhaps more OM606), and I know Duff Beer does.  Perhaps others, but, both of those teams should be in attendance at Road Atlanta (albeit with different cars).

Semi-Sentient Centenarians
1996 Buick Century - we upgraded our crappy GM sedan with parts from a crappy GM minivan.
"It's got a van motor, a 220 cubic inch plant, it's got van tires, van suspension, van shocks. It's a model with the catalytic converters ripped out so
     it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it a racecar or what?" - Blues Brothers, Probably

8 (edited by Zanetapos 2023-11-29 12:35 PM)

mthew_m wrote:
Zanetapos wrote:

My 'short'list is:
- Install cage padding
- Install gauges
- Install harness
- Weld sunroof panel
- Re-time injection pump
- Test drive?

Oh man, really rooting for the W126 here.  I know it seems like a long list, but, fortunately, a lot of it looks like it could be done Friday/night at the track with helping hands.  I believe Knoxvegas Lowballers have OM617 experience (but perhaps more OM606), and I know Duff Beer does.  Perhaps others, but, both of those teams should be in attendance at Road Atlanta (albeit with different cars).

I've already been speaking with Duff (Hyatt) on facebook with some general OM617 questions and kill switch questions. I've also been speaking with Bryce Ronsonet (golden_cedes on instagram) who does offroad rally/Gambler 500 in his 300SD. I've also bugged poor, poor Joe with Doomsday Diesel with parts questions and such.

I've done a decent amount of prep and at this point and my list of things I've already fixed or "sorta fixed" is over twice as long as the to-do list. I've arranged to have this Sunday to get everything else completed. I know we will be S-L-O-W but I think I'll also surprise plenty of people with it.

I'd love to sneak an OM606 or OM648 in it one day but that's would cost a pretty penny compared to this stupid simple and ridiculously reliable hunk of iron I've already got.

If you're there, feel free to come say 'hello' and soak in the insanity of this car. (    I scrapped the compound turbo idea for the sake of simplicity but it WILL happen in the near future once we find all of our other weak points within the chassis wink   )

We will be there in the 850 car (2000 v6 mustang) it’s probably the fastest car there…lol. I am really looking forward to this race, it will be my 3rd Lemons race. Definitely come by and say hi, I hope to meet you guys there.
I have a few things to finish up, I just came in from the shop putting a new balancer on it, still have to do wheel bearings and seals on the rear end and tires are supposed to show up Saturday. Other than that she should be ready.

10 (edited by Stan in Bham 2023-11-29 09:18 PM)

Zanetapos wrote:
lowbudgetjunk wrote:
Zanetapos wrote:

My 'short'list is:
- Install cage padding
- Install gauges
- Install harness
- Weld sunroof panel
- Re-time injection pump
- Test drive?

If you don"t get the sunroof welded by race weekend, look up Half-Fast Racing with the green Beetle #220 on Friday. We riveted in an aluminum panel from Lowe's on our Beetle's missing sunroof (waterproofed with Permatex). I'll have our cheap riveters and have a spare aluminum panel in the trailer, and am hoping to have free time Friday at the track while our rookie is practicing.  You can rivet aluminum patches over big holes in the firewall, too.  Tiny ones can be done with Permatex.

Stan in Bham wrote:

We riveted in an aluminum panel from Lowe's on our Beetle's missing sunroof (waterproofed with Permatex).

We used a road sign on our Integra.  smile

P.S. - No we didn't steal it.  One of our teammates works for a highway construction company and it was an outdated sign.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
Stan in Bham wrote:

We riveted in an aluminum panel from Lowe's on our Beetle's missing sunroof (waterproofed with Permatex).

We used a road sign on our Integra.  smile

P.S. - No we didn't steal it.  One of our teammates works for a highway construction company and it was an outdated sign.

Only someone that stole the sign would say that…lol. They do work great, my control and steering brackets in my little boat are made from old outdated ( not stolen) road signs.

fastdzl08 wrote:

Only someone that stole the sign would say that…lol.

*That* particular sign was acquired legit.  I may have others that may or may not have been obtained in less than legitimate ways....LOL.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!