Topic: Home made fuel swirl pot!

Okay, so apparantly, if you have an E30, you are a cheater and get lots of laps.....thats okay if the E30 in question is actually any good!!!  Ours is crap!

Anyway - shes our pride and joy despite not going aroudn right hand bends without running out of fuel......its the 2 pump set up, they ar probably original pumps but no way can we afford to change them as they are about $180 each.....so plan B is to fit a fuel swirl pot......

Rather than buy a nice shiney new one for the judges to laugh at and award yet more laps.....is there any great danger in making one from thick wall soil pipe, about 4" diameter, glue end caps in place and drill and tap 4 holes to fit threaded conections and then attach fuel hose?

My plan is to mount it in the boot (sorry, trunk) so there is a fire wall......vent it back to the main tank, so that it should not see any great pressure etc?

What can possibly go wrong???

Advice please

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

Re: Home made fuel swirl pot!

Mark,
anything upstream of the pump is budget exempt. Given that it is an E30, that doesnt mean they wont harass you for it, though. You can probably get out of BS laps just by showing your volcano pics from YeeHaw; threaten to do that again.

I wouldnt do anything homebrew with the fuel system. that draws the attention of Tech, and trust me when i say they are worse then Judges. Judges keep you from winning, Tech keeps you from driving. if you really want a swirl pot, let's buy some sheet stainless, and fittings and i'll TIG weld a shiny box for you. Gratis. No superglue.

On the other hand, i have a 255 L/hour Walbro fuel pump. i dont know if it still works, but it's yours if you can make it fit.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Thanks John.......appreciate it........

Initially we want to test the theory that its the fuel startavtion that hits many E30's (Lemons Gods punishment) and nothing more.....since the volcano event, we have a cheapo untested head and funny coloured pistions....a broken fuel level gauge, no rev counter and a speedo that reads 40 all the time its moving......

The swirl pot would be upstream of the main fuel pump......as long as the one in the tank is ignored as a fuel pump, we would be okay in terms of cost then.....

The pipe and connections I am thinking of, would make a really robust, mild pressure vessel, the connections would be really leak tight, threaded and bonded and all hoses, fuel rated and tested......

We have a test and tune session tomorrow and thats it before teh New Orleans adventure......if the palstic version works......then perhaps we can talk to you about a welding visit!

Cheers

Ditto on the fuel system review analysis. Tech are bastards when it comes to fuel system mods (and with good reason, Zoolander). But who says you have to buy new fuel pumps? Surely you can find working used ones on teh intarwebs. Sure, no fun to change, but better than flunking tech.

Alternatively, I recommend a Folger's can and garden hose attachments. What could go wrong? smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Agree.....half of my kicking against CL or Ebay purchase is that people seem to want top dollar for crap, or sell their 'it worked well before the car broke' part for $10 and pay $50 postage!!!

Folgers was the team Captains swirl pot of choice......but I wanted to go more professional but cheap, hence thinking of the 4" plastic pipe and fittings, brass valves and rated hose to please the tech boys!

The in-take pump is a stupid price and is really only there to lift the fuel out of the tank (from within a small dammed area) and deliver it to the door step of the external pump......which fires it to the injectors and even then, most of it returns to the tank anyway.......

I'm keen to fit somethign safe for tomorrow evening and test the car at MSR.....it could be soemthing other than fuel starvation!

Bloody E30's!

6 (edited by RobL 2010-11-03 12:23 PM)

We made one.  It got a good looking over from tech, Jay, and the judges.  If you can get away with not having one, don't have one.  We needed it because we would fuel starve with 1/2 tank of gas.  We spent $$$ on fittings and steel braided line. 

I'm looking for a picture and will post when I find it.

edit:
http://schumachertaxiservice.com/images/Picture2.jpg

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Thanks - I'd rather not have one, but I guess an endurance car that suddenly halves its fuel capacity is not very good!

appreciate the advice from you all......id rather make a decent job of it and get it out in the open than hide it away in the car and end up the largest fireball in Bayou!

it may be cheaper and easier and safer to convert your fuel injection to a returnless. I know the Toyota Matrix has a returnless system. maybe i should study it and build a conversion kit to make you E30 cars more competitive

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Hmmmmmm

I guess thats an in tank pump with some sort of pressure relief system in the pump itself....I think the MOPARS are returnless......

If you are going to develop items to make E30's more competative.....perhaps you could also study hypnotism on Lemons judges and reduce the BS penalteis!

My Titan has a returnless system as well.  Basically, the FPR resides in the tank and not on the fuel rail.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

yeah but the E30 has the FPR as part of the fuel rail.......id have to think of a way to block that, have a walbro type in tank HP pump but with the FPR in the tank too.......

12 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2010-11-03 01:27 PM)

Markdas

Go to the junkyard and find a Chevy suburban or van. Take out the A-C Drier, cut it in the middle on both sides of the weld take the guts out and weld it back together. We make Water Swirl pots all the time from them.
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

No use worrying about too much pressure, these babies can handle a lot and they are pretty much pre-made and cheap.

P.S we used a Enchilada can for our first pot it lasted the whole race.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

13 (edited by DaveH 2010-11-03 02:17 PM)

If I were you I'd just replace the pumps and not mention it to the judges.  Its not like they're going to boroscope your fuel tank (well, until they read this thread).  You can probably get them for less than $180 if you just get the pump instead of the whole assembly. 

Don't mess around with the fuel system.  I've realized that stock fuel systems are actually carefully engineered.  Messing with them inevitably causes the unintended consequences monster to raise its head.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

Yep, part of the fireball that erupted from the Cavalier wagon after thumping the wall at Infineon was the homemade swirl pot bolted to the firewall that added its 8oz of fuel to the sparks coming from the hood sheetmetal.

If you're going to do it, do it inside the stock tank (2 pumps, trapdoors, little guys with buckets, whatever works).

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

We used an empty propane bottle for our surge tank.  We had to as our car started life carbureted.  Here's a pic I made for someone (the silver tank, not the red one):
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/z0 … directlink

AC pot sounds a great idea, thanks again for all the suggestions guys......we really appear to need this accumulator due to starvation aroudn right hand bends.....id rather not fit one, but I dont want frustrated drivers either!  (one of them is the wife)!!!

I had asked about fuel systems for the new car we are building and I was told that if you are going to run the stock fuel system the only mod you can do is remove the fuel fill door on the outside of the car, I would email John Pagel and ask. I was told you will be DQ'ed of you mess with the stock system and do not switch to a fuel cell

good luck!

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it will run, we hope!
Team member: The Neighbors "89 Foxbody notchback 3 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

Post was from 2010, rules have likely changed since then.