Topic: roll cage padding

Hey all, wanted to check in and see what the roll cage padding can be? I know they have some in the Lemons store as we used it on the other car... it is very hard. I have seen cars at races that were on track and had what looked like pool noodles.

what's the final word?

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

Re: roll cage padding

Final word?

The 'hard'(SFI rated) type is for anywhere the driver's head,arms,legs,etc.can touch while in the seat.
'Softer'style is for other areas of the interior where people helping the driver belt up,hook up the radios,etc could possibly contact.Just for cushion,not really designed to absorb the impact from a helmet strike.
This is not the final word,but just the basics..

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

From the rules:

”3.5.1.3     Rollbar Padding. All roll cage tubing located wherever a driver may likely contact the tube in a crash—head, knees, elbows, etc.—must be padded with high-density (emphasis /me) rollbar padding.”

I believe this is where the 'hard' padding characteristic comes from. And the rule does specify "_rollbar_"  padding, and NOT 'any other' padding, or pool noodles. I'll suggest bring a receipt for this purchase.

Also, your question reminds me of a previous discussion.

In sum: 'The rules say what they mean, and mean what they say.'

In general - other than the commentary entertainment - words that are included are there for a reason; they're not superfluous.

For me, as a layman, I'll just guess about the impact forces in a rollover or serious collision, and believe (until proven otherwise) pool noodles would be worthless to protect a head inside a helmet which is likely to crack at first serious impact. Plus the rest of my body parts.

I'll leave the actual reasoning to the professional.

BigBird made a good suggestion there^

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

From the rules:

”3.5.1.3     Rollbar Padding. All roll cage tubing located wherever a driver may likely contact the tube in a crash—head, knees, elbows, etc.—must be padded with high-density (emphasis /me) rollbar padding.”

I believe this is where the 'hard' padding characteristic comes from. And the rule does specify "_rollbar_"  padding, and NOT 'any other' padding, or pool noodles. I'll suggest bring a receipt for this purchase.

Also, your question reminds me of a previous discussion.

In sum: 'The rules say what they mean, and mean what they say.'

In general - other than the commentary entertainment - words that are included are there for a reason; they're not superfluous.

For me, as a layman, I'll just guess about the impact forces in a rollover or serious collision, and believe (until proven otherwise) pool noodles would be worthless to protect a head inside a helmet which is likely to crack at first serious impact. Plus the rest of my body parts.

I'll leave the actual reasoning to the professional.

This is the way. Pool noodles are not fire proof either.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Thanks all,  our last race of the season was at road America and there were cars that did not have the high density stuff in the car at all that is why I wanted to double check. I agree generally speaking the rules are normally clear and are in this case. I just wanted clarification from what I had seen.  thanks for the clarification. we will just go with what it says in the rule book like we do for everything else!

thanks as always for all the help!

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

Just go to Summit Racing and order it. It will be cheaper.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Just go to Summit Racing and order it. It will be cheaper.

3' SFI padding section from pegasus - $19.99

Cheaper than anything listed on summitracing.com that is SFI approved. Usually summit is always more expensive than a smaller direct-to-consumer supplier.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)