Topic: Prepping a car with no garage space

Hey Lemons-

I have a couple questions for you:

I have a team from San Diego looking for a turn-key(ish) Lemons car, mostly because we don't have storage or a garage to work on the vehicle in this rent-crazy, small property locality. A couple members have Lemons XP, but no one has space at the moment. I'm heading up the team since I currently have the most enthusiasm for joining.

-Are there garages that will allow people to come in and rent a lift or tools?
-How do you guys test drive your unregistered, non-street legal vehicles to make sure they're race ready?

Thanks fam,
HeelTowIt

Re: Prepping a car with no garage space

It is possible to build a Lemons car without garage space. I've done it and heartily recommend against it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8013/7497634750_8bb389bc65_c.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Yeah I figured! That's why were looking for the most turn-key option we can find. Not looking to build anything from the ground up, at least not this year.

HeelTowIt wrote:

Hey Lemons-
-How do you guys test drive your unregistered, non-street legal vehicles to make sure they're race ready?

Thanks fam,
HeelTowIt

Take it out to track days at your local track.....Several organizations are Lemons-friendly,and it's a good way to find all the weak links in your build

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Thanks BigBird, I'll check what we have semi-locally for track options.

did our first in my brothers driveway, dealing with a bunch of snow.

Where there's a will...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

There is a big difference in the ability to prep your car in your driveway depending on where you live.  All of ours have been prepped in my driveway due to a garage full of motorcycles, tools, camping gear, and other hobbies. Birmingham driveways are not ideal in January, February, or late May through August, but are manageable.  I would expect San Diego weather would be favorable for most of the year. 

Having lived in Olympia, WA for 5 years, I'd agree with MHarrell that Seattle would be unfavorable from about late September through April. 

Our cars are street registered and insured, too, so can be driven locally for testing (and to the Barber race).  Alabama does not have annual vehicle inspections, so is an option here but doing that may be a little more difficult in other states.