Topic: Gator-O-Rama recap

I just posted a bunch of pics and summary to our team's blog.  The thought or reposting it here makes me exhausted, so I'm going to be lazy and direct y'all in that direction.  My post about day #1 is very TetanusNeon-centric, but the summary of day #2 has quite a few pics of the awards ceremony.

I'll see y'all at Cain't Get Bayou in May!

www.tetanusneon.com

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Re: Gator-O-Rama recap

first off let me say that this was my first time out with Lemons, or anything else to do wih racing in a very long time. and i had a blast. an will do this thing some more.

as for the car. yup, i'm on the mark 8 team. the "truly awful car". this was it's second trip to race. and it made it all he way thru. that in itself is a blessing.  i can tell you that the car is big, heavy, and fast. will not corner in the damp. we tried both sets of tires. didn't help. it also didn't help that some of the smaller cars dive bombed us in the corners. they could have gone around wihout doing that.

we came to have fun. and run a car we put together with cast off parts. we didn't hav a thought of winning, just have a good time.

sorry if our "truly awful car" offended you. that was not our intent

joe

3 (edited by YesIFit 2010-02-23 07:47 AM)

It was nice to meet you this weekend. (I was the tall(er) guy driving the Summer's Eve 325i .. I came over and talked to you and Troy for a minute on Sunday.) Congrats on the 23rd!

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Mark VIII's don't have to be heavy. wink

Congrats on finishing! We'll be addressing the brakes in ours, now that the 5 speed is in. I'll let you know what works.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

5 (edited by doctawife 2010-02-22 08:34 AM)

forddragracer wrote:

joe

I wasn't offended by your car.  I expect terrible cars at Lemons; that's the whole point.

I'm sorry that you took offense at my recap, it wasn't my intent.  Our car is only marginally less awful.  At Lemons, having a truly terrible car is not incompatible with having fun - and that's what makes Lemons cool.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Speedycop wrote:

Mark VIII's don't have to be heavy. wink

Congrats on finishing! We'll be addressing the brakes in ours, now that the 5 speed is in. I'll let you know what works.

thank you!
seemed like no matter what lne we tried it wouldn't bite in the wet.  i had the early run in the rain, and it was all i could do to stay on the track. most of my time was spent watching everybody go around me......twice. but that's cool. i didn't cause any off track stuff, spins bumps bruises, or other items. guess you could say i was mostly in the way of the "real"=D racers.  not too bad for a rookie old guy type, i'm thinking

doctawife wrote:
forddragracer wrote:

joe

I wasn't offended by your car.  I expect terrible cars at Lemons; that's the whole point.

I'm sorry that you took offense at my recap, it wasn't my intent.  Our car is only marginally less awful.  At Lemons, having a truly terrible car is not incompatible with having fun - and that's what makes Lemons cool.

i did post that after five hours punching a giant hole in the wind going north, and my truck acting up the entire trip back. so if i sounded a little put off, please accept my apology. old guys with beards can get a little cranky at the end of a long day.......
now if we can just figure out how to make the monster corner.....................................................

Congrats on the 23rd! Great to hang out with you guys and thanks for the cake. And thanks for the pic of us with the checker, what a great race and great people!

2008  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - DarthBimmer; 2009 Houston Gator-O-Rama - Beermer; 2009  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - Jewish Defense League BMW; 2010 Houston Gator-O-Rama - SwampJews from Hell; 2010 Houston Yee-Haw Texas - JDL - JEGS....errrr JEWS; 2011 Houston Gator-O-Rama - B Team - IOE Winner!; 2011 Houston Yee-Haw - Los Escorpions de Munich; 2012 TWS Yee-Haw Texas - B-Team - Dr. StrangeBenz

forddragracer wrote:

it also didn't help that some of the smaller cars dive bombed us in the corners. they could have gone around without doing that.

joe

I was in a small car, the #35 Yellow and White 240Z. 

I hope I didn't dive bomb you guys.  You guys were hard to pass.

Whether intentional or not you guys managed to take up a fair amount of track space in the turns and were fast enough on the straights to make it hard to get around you.

We had a good time and I'm glad to hear your first event was good too.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:
forddragracer wrote:

it also didn't help that some of the smaller cars dive bombed us in the corners. they could have gone around without doing that.

joe

Whether intentional or not you guys managed to take up a fair amount of track space in the turns and were fast enough on the straights to make it hard to get around you.

The Lincoln was a handful when the track was anything but dry and warm, even then the tail would wag often on corner exit.

I tried to stick to a narrow line, either inside or outside when conditions were poor but with poor traction and loads of power it was hard to keep the back end from flailing around and terrifying everyone.  I've never worked so hard to go straight, not even in the shifter karts.

I would not have wanted to be trying to pass us in the wet. 

We had a good time and will certainly be back.  Next time with a bit more traction in the rear.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Joe (FDRacer), Heckler-- please allow me to also say that when the blog post said "terrible" we don't mean it in the classic sense, but in the most admiring Lemony sense. Your car looked awesome, it got around well, and making something cool out of cast-off parts and ingenuity is what Doctawife & I love about Lemons. Our own car is no different-- intentionally rusted, fence slat for a spoiler, was painted with rollers, and has parts welded on with leftover pieces from IKEA. Yes, IKEA.

After six races immersed in the less-is-more culture of Lemons we just temporarily forgot that  in a web page, you can't hear the smile in our voices as we're saying "terrible" in a tongue-in-cheek way. Sorry if we struck the wrong tone. Congratulations on winning Judges Choice.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Troy wrote:
forddragracer wrote:

joe

naw, you got me going on to the back straight, i got you back just before the harpin, you got me back (and for good) in the sweeper. that was good stuff! most of the times i saw your car,you were smooth and in control. you played well, and congrats on the ioe.

cpchampion wrote:

Joe (FDRacer), Heckler-- please allow me to also say that when the blog post said "terrible" we don't mean it in the classic sense, but in the most admiring Lemony sense. Your car looked awesome, it got around well, and making something cool out of cast-off parts and ingenuity is what Doctawife & I love about Lemons. Our own car is no different-- intentionally rusted, fence slat for a spoiler, was painted with rollers, and has parts welded on with leftover pieces from IKEA. Yes, IKEA.

After six races immersed in the less-is-more culture of Lemons we just temporarily forgot that  in a web page, you can't hear the smile in our voices as we're saying "terrible" in a tongue-in-cheek way. Sorry if we struck the wrong tone. Congratulations on winning Judges Choice.

not a problem, folks. perhaps i should have gone to bed instead of here last night.

forddragracer wrote:

not a problem, folks. perhaps i should have gone to bed instead of here last night.

No problem at all -- just expressing my own admiration for the win. Sorry I didn't get to meet you this past weekend, but I hope to see all of you (and the well-finned Lincoln) in September!

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

I thought your team was a ton of fun.

Justice...with a smile.