1 (edited by flb_78 2024-01-03 09:56 AM)

Topic: Affordable seat

Im a big guy and Im looking for an affordable seat for my Lemons build. I don't want a containment seat as it is very difficult for me to get out of.

What seats are the bigger guys using?

I don't believe this is a Lemons legal seat from Summit since the back can tilt.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1159-2

Re: Affordable seat

Yeah....no.
Not only because of the reclining thing,but it is also missing the cutout in the seat bottom for the anti-sub belt....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

I forgot about the anti-sub belt. I'll keep looking, Thank you

4 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2024-01-03 04:13 PM)

I think Corbeau and Bimarco were the two mentioned in the large seat threads.

Do PayPal for the Bimarco in case yours disappears like my first did. Second arrived as expected. And they're relatively inexpensive.

Usually the brand people point to for "big guy" and "affordable" is kirkey. It's the brand that all the dirt/circle track big dudes put in their cars, and they have non-full containment options (65 series)

As for comfort, no idea. Remember though that the seat is pretty much doing 50% of the work of holding you in place as you crash into a wall. so if you don't have a good seat, your body will be the thing absorbing all that extra force.

Yes, ease of egress is important, but containment seats are "more safer" in most cases, especially in side impacts as your head hits the containment instead of your shoulder with a violent neck snap.

As an XXL guy myself, we upgraded from a standard corbeau wingback seat to an OMP HTE-R XL full containment seat. Its actually much more comfortable than the corbeau ever was. Maybe check out the OMP WRC-R XL seat, which is the wingback version.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

KeiCarMike wrote:

Usually the brand people point to for "big guy" and "affordable" is kirkey. It's the brand that all the dirt/circle track big dudes put in their cars, and they have non-full containment options (65 series)

As for comfort, no idea. Remember though that the seat is pretty much doing 50% of the work of holding you in place as you crash into a wall. so if you don't have a good seat, your body will be the thing absorbing all that extra force.

Yes, ease of egress is important, but containment seats are "more safer" in most cases, especially in side impacts as your head hits the containment instead of your shoulder with a violent neck snap.

As an XXL guy myself, we upgraded from a standard corbeau wingback seat to an OMP HTE-R XL full containment seat. Its actually much more comfortable than the corbeau ever was. Maybe check out the OMP WRC-R XL seat, which is the wingback version.

i know comfort is subjective, but IMO the Kirkey most circle track guys use is a akin to sitting on a sheet of plywood.  That said, they do make nicer Kirkeys with much better (contoured) padding, but 'affordable' goes out the window.

We run a Corbeau, which fits our larger guys quite well, it's comfortable, and I'd say it's cost was reasonable, but not 'cheap'.  FWIW IMO Corbeau makes good seats, but their sliders might be the worst.  I'd look elsewhere for those.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

What's your location? I have a Corbeau FX1 wide seat in the Seattle area that we got for a bigger team member who bailed before the first race, so it was never used, and sending it back was a huge pain.

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

rozap_ wrote:

What's your location? I have a Corbeau FX1 wide seat in the Seattle area that we got for a bigger team member who bailed before the first race, so it was never used, and sending it back was a huge pain.

Im in central Kentucky. That's a bit far for a pickup.

rozap_ wrote:

We run the Corbeau wide seat in our Beetles and love it. What are you asking for it, and any idea what shipping would be to Alabama?  Also, we have a regular Corbeau that came with a car that we could trade if you need a regular-width seat.

Stan

is the seat required to have a cutout for the crotch strap or can it come up over the front?

flb_78 wrote:

is the seat required to have a cutout for the crotch strap or can it come up over the front?

Seats without a submarine belt hole generally are not meant to be used with them.

Instead of asking here, you should email the model seat you are trying to purchase to Lemons tech and get approval from them.

TECH & SAFETY STUFF
John Pagel
Tech Boss
pagel@24hoursoflemons.com

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

flb_78 wrote:

It can't come up over the front. This is covered in the rules, although somewhat indirectly:

3.6.2.3 Anti-Submarine Belt Mounting. Anti-submarine belt(s) should be mounted in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.

The manufacturers tend to be quite explicit about not running the belt(s) over the front of the seat. Schroth, for example, says:

WARNING Risk of severe injury and death. Use the SCHROTH Racing Harness only if the racing seat is designed with anti-submarining holes. NEVER run the anti-submarining straps over the front edge of a factory seat down to the floor. Such routing does not provide the desired anti-submarining effect, and in fact encourages submarining, which can cause severe injury and death.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

we are going to be running the same seat on both of our cars just waiting for the delivery of the second seat, we are using the OMP TRS-E XL seat. I believe it is sold out on the Lemons site but they have it on amazon ands that is where we ordered ours. great seat and I thought a fair price.

https://www.amazon.com/OMP-HA-781E-Raci … amp;sr=8-1

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it will run, we hope!
Team member: The Neighbors "89 Foxbody notchback 3 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!