Topic: Best/funnest track on the 2024 calendar?

We've raced Buttonwillow, Sears Point and Thunderhill, all great tracks. We will race one of them again in 2024.

We are thinking of traveling further to race a track we have not raced yet.

What are the best, funnest tracks to race on the calendar for next year? What is your must race track?

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Re: Best/funnest track on the 2024 calendar?

I assume you are based in or near California. 

- HPR 24 is a fun track and I like 24s.  People are friendly, but it is a long way to drive and it is in the middle of nowhere.
- The Ridge is pretty similar.  Nice people, great cars.  I think there is more civilization around it, but I can't remember it was so long ago.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

3 (edited by rozap_ 2023-10-26 04:53 PM)

ORP is a great tr...oh wait, not on the schedule.

Pacific raceways has very little runoff and we suck ass at driving. This is a problem. Or maybe we will bring an even slower car.

- The Ridge is pretty similar.  Nice people, great cars.  I think there is more civilization around it, but I can't remember it was so long ago.

I live about 45 minutes from the ridge and have tons of space and a guest house. Any wayward lemontarians are welcome to crash at my place on either side of the race if that makes logistics easier. I don't really enjoy a massive drive home after racing for a weekend.

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

Barber or Road America.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

When I'm asked which tracks people should go to outside of their respective region(s), my go-to answers are Barber and Gingerman. Road America is worth the trip, I think most people would say.

I'd probably add Hallett to that list now. It's a cool, old-school place unlike anywhere else we really go all year. That part of Oklahoma--which is kind of the southernmost part of the Osage Hills--is super pretty. If you've been to the Flint Hills in Kansas, it's that kind of rolling hill country where the roads are frequently on an arrow-straight grid that roller-coasters across the landscape. I've also spent a lot of time in Tulsa, so I might be biased.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

we're in a similar boat... SoCal based team and like track variety. We've hit every track in CA and I think we're extremely fortunate with the quality and selection of tracks that we have out here. We've left CA once for a race and it was the 24hr one at HPR. It was awesome... a 24hr has always been a bucket list item and we absolutely loved the track. We still talk about that race and are considering doing it again... but the triple 24 was really rough (24hrs towing/24hrs racing/24hrs towing). If you're looking to explore outside CA... i'd totally recommend that race... basically two birds with one stone (new track+a true 24hr race).

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

Pittrace

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

therood wrote:

When I'm asked which tracks people should go to outside of their respective region(s), my go-to answers are Barber and Gingerman. Road America is worth the trip, I think most people would say.

Gingerman? Compared to Barber or Road America? I mean, the breakfast burritos are good, but not that good...

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Aside from being full of alligators, how does Sebring compare to the top ones?

That guy

KeiCarMike wrote:
therood wrote:

Gingerman? Compared to Barber or Road America? I mean, the breakfast burritos are good, but not that good...

I said what I said. Neal Losey is probably the guy OP really wants to ask, by the way.

There are reasons to visit every track and things that every facility does well (or not).

BARBER
The nicest facility we go to, hands down. The grounds are finely manicured, the place is meticulously maintained (ie "The Shitters are nice and seldom out of paper towels"), the museum is amazing if you happen to have an extra few hours, and the track itself is technical & super fun. The view from the top of the timing building (or even the meeting room) is one of the best spectator areas on the calendar.

THUNDERHILL
Cool track layouts. The "classic" 3-mile track is really an amazing layout. Tons of elevation change, but still good sightlines and room to race. The West course that gets tacked onto the 5-mile track is super technical, which some people like and some don't. If you have a "momentum car," it's a way to make up lap time against the long couple of straights on the Main/Classic circuit. The paddock atmosphere tends to be good, especially for the May race when it's warm.

NOLA
You're in New Orleans; you can be in the French Quarter in 15 minutes if you want. Track is totally flat (not a pro), but that means the sightlines tend to be excellent. Track is also very wide, so there's plenty of room to race. Lots of paddock space--we could probably theoretically fit 200 cars in that place.

PITTRACE
Awesome track layout with huge elevation changes. People love driving this place. The facilities are very nice and modern, one of the best handful on the calendar. It's also kind of "between regions," so you get a lot of crossover between Midwest and East (and usually a few South) teams. It's a great way to meet a bunch of people from both regions if you're from well outside of it.

CMP
The Parade! It's the OG Block Party and it's always awesome. Even aside from the Block Party, CMP, High Plains, and Gingerman have some of the best at-track atmosphere on the calendar. Laidback, helpful, generally awesome. The track is maybe similar to Gingerman (someone else can chime in) in that it's pretty flat, but it's also more technical than it initially looks. Easy to do well, hard to do perfectly. Or something like that.

THE RIDGE
Another awesome track layout with TONS of elevation change. They've improved their facilities considerably in the last decade (BUILDINGS!). The garages are nice and so are the bathrooms (I think...I haven't personally been there in a minute). The PNW teams bring some supremely awesome cars.

HALLETT
Really cool family-run, old-school facility that is basically tailor-made for Lemons. Everything there works, the facility is in a surprisingly pretty location, and the track is super technical.

GINGERMAN
Always had a good Lemons atmosphere since I went to Lemons' first race there as a spectator. Track is fun and safe, paddock layout is awesome for socializing, spectator areas are great and there are several of them, Midwestern Lemons people are awesome, and the racing is generally very clean. What's not to like? (Bathrooms have even gotten slightly better in the intervening time)

SEBRING
A weird place or at least unique on the Lemons calendar. Most of the track is the original airport concrete with all of the bumps, joints, and creases that implies. Some of it--especially Turn 17--looks like an abandoned K-Mart parking lot. There are some asphalt sections to connect the old concrete bits. However, it is wide and once you get used to everything looking more or less the same, the sightlines are pretty good. The facilities are like Gingerman, but bigger? I think that's about right. If you visit, you'll simultaneously understand and question how it's a famous racing facility.

HIGH PLAINS
I've not actually been there, one of two tracks on the calendar I haven't visited. The atmosphere seems to be top-notch and Colorado racers really GET Lemons. The track looks super fun with ample elevation changes.

NJMP
One of the three best tracks (with Sonoma and NHMS) to run if you love driving in traffic. It's 2-and-a-bit miles with 120+ cars, so traffic management and driving clean will get you REALLY far. Track is pretty flat and maybe not the most exciting on its own, but the traffic really puts a premium on experience. We also tend to get some super cool cars at this race. Paddock atmosphere and partying has always been top-notch at NJMP.

AUTOBAHN
Has generally always been a really laidback race. I don't think Autobahn tends to be a destination for many long-traveling teams, but it's got some Gingerman-like characteristics: it'll take you a race or two to figure out how to drive it really well in Lemons (aka "When you don't always have The Line™"). Facilities and paddock tend to be decent. Flagging here is usually as good as you'll find.

THOMPSON
Like most East Coast races, the paddock atmosphere and hangs are pretty good (make sure you get ice cream from the little shack in front of the country club). The track is decent enough, though probably not what anyone would call spectacular. It's a tough one to win if you've got a competitive car. Short laps + Traffic = Gotta have a near-perfect race to have a chance.

ROAD AMERICA
Really needs no introduction. It's big, fast, and pretty. There's a reason it's iconic. The parade was just the frosting on top; already working on bringing that back, but keep your fingers crossed on it.

PACIFIC
Honestly, I don't know much about it. Looks technical and maybe a bit narrow, but the PNW racers run with a lot of respect for each other. It's new on our calendar so would give you another box to check.

NCM
The feedback I've always gotten is that there's a lot of elevation shoved into a small geographical area, which makes it a lot of fun. The paddock is...still being rebuilt after a tornado almost two years ago. Like PittRace, this one is kind of "between regions" so you get teams from the Midwest (and even the East) along with South racer. Spectating is non-existent, though. You can kinda see 1/3 of the track from the elevated platform behind the garages.

BUTTONWILLOW
Despite being dusty and forlorn in the middle of the Central Valley, Buttonwillow tends to produce some good racing and entertaining after-hours fun (namely because there's nowhere to go from the track). Probably not a destination track outside of the West region, but it's a great atmosphere.

NHMS
Like Sebring in the sense that it's unlike anywhere else we go (though COMPLETELY dissimilar to it as a road course).For a roval, there's a lot of character in this place. Parts of it are kind of Mickey Mouse (like the Oval Turn 1/2 shortcut), but the whole "outfield" section is super cool, IMHO. Traffic keeps everything lively and you have to be thinking ahead about the (multiple) parts where the track narrows. Paddock atmosphere tends to be awesome.

MSR HOUSTON
Kind of a perfectly Lemons-grade racetrack. Looks a little tired but functions perfectly well. Flat and a little swampy but ultimately looks like a hoot to drive. Texas racers are a great mix of Lemons' world, though. Lots of V8 Mustangs, lots of legit swamp-found hoopties. Paddock layout makes PittRace look sensible, but it's a cool spot once you figure it out.

SONOMA
"Tough" is probably the right word for Sonoma. It's tough on teams, tough on cars, tough on organizers, but it is ultimately a really cool place. It has ALL the elevation change and all the technical challenges. Atmosphere tends to be excellent, traffic tends to be plenty.

ROAD ATLANTA
Kind of like the Light Beer version of Road America, which is to say it's still an epic racetrack. Maybe has the worst set of on-track sightlines we go to, so it's work to drive it, but the elevation changes are spectacular and a worthy payoff. Usually a big draw so traffic is also a factor. Weather has frequently sucked, but there's a feeling of festivity to everything since it's usually the season-ender and butts up against the holidays.

YMMV

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Great input everyone!

Eric, I really appreciate your track by track comments.

Thanks!!

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Limonaid wrote:

Great input everyone!

Eric, I really appreciate your track by track comments.

Thanks!!

Seconded. Two thumbs up from this guy.

That guy

13 (edited by MZAVARIN 2023-10-31 02:03 PM)

Nice summary of all the tracks!
I'm going shopping for my next track now!!
I would just add:
THOMPSON
Weather usually really hot and humid....cool suit strongly recommended.  And also summer rain downpours are common, so be prepared for wetness.  And paddock party is amazing (thanks to 3PM!)!  Picture a bunch of tipsy, exhausted Lemons drivers renting out all the golf carts, packing as many people as possible on to the carts, and driving up a dirt road to the HUGE bonfire up on the hill, will loud boom=boom music, dancing around the bonfire with wooden pallets being thrown in, with a team doing Gin&Tonic mobile dispensing and another doing MoscowMule mobile dispensing

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

@therood - make no mistake, I like gingerman. I just don't want you giving out the secret too much... They already had to ban free bong hits in the paddock because of party poopers.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

MZAVARIN wrote:

Nice summary of all the tracks!
I'm going shopping for my next track now!!
I would just add:
THOMPSON
Weather usually really hot and humid....cool suit strongly recommended.  And also summer rain downpours are common, so be prepared for wetness.  And paddock party is amazing (thanks to 3PM!)!  Picture a bunch of tipsy, exhausted Lemons drivers renting out all the golf carts, packing as many people as possible on to the carts, and driving up a dirt road to the HUGE bonfire up on the hill, will loud boom=boom music, dancing around the bonfire with wooden pallets being thrown in, with a team doing Gin&Tonic mobile dispensing and another doing MoscowMule mobile dispensing

Feel free to add your own reviews here like Mike did. I think you guys know the tracks far better than I do since y'all actually drive on the racing surfaces.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

16 (edited by dungeonracer 2023-11-01 04:59 PM)

I think you guys know the tracks far better than I do since y'all actually drive on the racing surfaces.

Wait... Eric hasn't driven a crappy Lemons car yet?????? Now that has to be fixed.
Somehow a team got Dale in a car at the last Thompson race, so now we need to get Eric in a car.
And if he hasn't been in a car by the next time he's at a race the Whoopie Pie car shows up at a race he's judging, he's driving a Whoopie Pie car...lol

After all, as he told me...He's here to entertain smile

1991 VW Jetta #38 - cuz Whoopie Pie!

dungeonracer wrote:

I think you guys know the tracks far better than I do since y'all actually drive on the racing surfaces.

Wait... Eric hasn't driven a crappy Lemons car yet?????? Now that has to be fixed.
Somehow a team got Dale in a car at the last Thompson race, so now we need to get Eric in a car.
And if he hasn't been in a car by the next time he's at a race the Whoopie Pie car shows up at a race he's judging, he's driving a Whoopie Pie car...lol

I thought Eric raced many moons ago.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

@OP:
if you're coming from California, HPR is the obvious next step, especially if you plan to tow.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

chaase wrote:
dungeonracer wrote:

I thought Eric raced many moons ago.

I did build and race a car in Lemons' prehistoric days.

https://www.murileemartin.com/LC10/UG/LeMons-Chicago10-529.jpg

https://murileemartin.com/wordpress/?p=398

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

https://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LWI13/ … _9933.html

I remember that car, we tried to copy it, no one cared so we did a different theme.

Wisconsin Crap Racers #113 E36
I.O.E. Winners 2023 Gingerman
2016 and 2017 Cure for Gingivitis Champs!
30+ time Losers!

21 (edited by VKZ24 2023-11-03 08:02 AM)

Eric's info is not wrong on any of the tracks he listed that I have been to, but here's my $0.02.

CMP (aka O.G. Lemons)

I've only missed one CMP race since Lemons started there back in 2008.  I had Covid during the last 24 there, and was NOT happy that I missed it!

In the beginning I considered the parade a PITA because we had to load/unload the car three times.  Once there however it was ton of fun to see the Camden residents really welcome us with open arms.  I think they look forward to it as much as the racers do every year.

Like Eric said, the track is flat, but technical.  The grip is MUCH improved since the repave three years ago, and the tire wear dropped WAY off as a bonus.  Having a garage is always nice for the occasional t-storm we see there, but the bathroom facilities are one-click above a port-a-john.  Most lodging choices are 30 mins away, but the drive to/from the track is not that bad.

Barber

The entire facility is SUPER nice.  Multiple large, CLEAN bathrooms.  You may even run into Mr, Barber himself, who is a super nice, down-to-earth, regular dude who also happens to be rich.  The timing tower is heated and offers a nice view for a portion of the track.  The track itself is very technical with lots of elevation changes making it challenging and fun.  My only (small) complaint is their flag stations do not seem to be logically positioned IMO, and they don't have garages.   It's usually cold (February...duh!) but usually dry, and we look forward to this one every year.

NCM

The facility is nice, but not Barber nice.  They do have garages, adjacent to the track with an observation deck.  The track is fast with some elevation changes. The 'sinkhole' section is kind of stupid.  It adds no value to the track, and really just gives you an element to dred each lap.  By contrast, the rest of the track is pretty awesome.  I wish it was closer for us, but I've been every year we've run there.

NJMP

This track is also technical, and has some elevation change, but not a ton.  The facility is also pretty nice with garages, but we can never seem to register early enough to get one.  Somehow our car is geared almost perfectly for this track, so we ran well there.  The dates proximity to CMP is what has kept us from coming back, which is shame because I really like the track.  The only downside is that it's in NJ.  That state has some crazy rules/laws, a.k.a. you are not allowed to pump your own gas.  Also the hotel prices are INSANE.  Fortunately I found an AIr BnB about 25 mins away for about half price.

Road Atlanta

The track is F-A-S-T!  TONS of elevation changes.  Facilities are 'OK', but the whole place could use some renovation IMO.  They kind of did some when Michelin bought it, but it needs more IMO.  Garages would be a nice addition.  However since it has been in danger of becoming another housing development more than once in the recent past, I should probably be thankful it's still open.  The downside is the weather, at least in December, it SUCKS!  My team has vowed not to go back due to the weather, but I personally keep getting sucked back in to run with other teams.  Hopefully it will be better this year, and again in 2024.

Sebring

Not really a 'Lemons' track IMO, but I still enjoyed it.  Most of it is WTFO, so if you can hold the gas pedal to the floor, you have the skill to drive it.  Even in a car with street-type suspension it is very bumpy.  T1 is like the track is trying to rip the steering wheel out of your hand, which is not good at the top of 4th gear!  Their 'garages' are more like an paved carport, but being right nest to the track, are very convenient for refueling.  It's a really long haul for us, but we'll probably go back because, well, why not?!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

22 (edited by 545days 2024-01-12 08:03 AM)

Hallett wins if for no other reason than the chicken song they play every morning for wake up.