Topic: First timer question

This will be our first year on track. We have our lemon mobile picked out and a new opportunity popped up. Local to me is a 92 Taurus. It was used as an
asphalt oval car. Full cage in place and a fuel cell. All glass has been removed. We can address that. I searched around and didn’t see a bunch of Lemons with this “ pedigree”. It would be a huge leap forward already having a cage in the car is what we’re thinking.   Anybody been down this road, somethings to look out for?

2 (edited by rb92673 2024-01-10 01:38 PM)

Re: First timer question

That type of car typically does not meet Lemons safety requirements.  Reach out to John Pagel with detailed pictures of the car to check.  His contact is on the Lemons site.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Bdr529 wrote:

This will be our first year on track. We have our lemon mobile picked out and a new opportunity popped up. Local to me is a 92 Taurus. It was used as an
asphalt oval car. Full cage in place and a fuel cell. All glass has been removed. We can address that. I searched around and didn’t see a bunch of Lemons with this “ pedigree”. It would be a huge leap forward already having a cage in the car is what we’re thinking.   Anybody been down this road, somethings to look out for?

Oval track cages don't normally pass Lemons tech. You would need to get a bunch of pictures and send them off to Page.

Chris

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Will also add to make sure you include photos of the fuel cell. The Saturday Night Six-Cylinder Class doesn't always have the most strict fuel cell requirements.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

someone else had asked a question like this not to long ago, I will tell you what I told them, the first car I ran in Lemons (my teammates mustang) he bought with a cage and it was "ready to race" well it was ready after the cage was ripped out and replaced and the motor redone from being locked up and a bunch of other things, ultimately it was a lot more work, time and money. make sure top email Pagel with a lot of pictures but it seems that starting with a blank slate and building your own car is the best way to pass tech and ends up saving money. just some info that I took with me as I am building my own car. hope this helps and good luck!

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it will run, we hope!
Team member: The Neighbors "89 Foxbody notchback 3 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

As others noted, ultimately it'll come down to what Pagel says but you may want to start by comparing the cage against the illustrations in the "How to Not Fail Lemons Tech Inspection" guide linked on the rules page:

https://24hoursoflemons.com/prices-rules/

If it looks like the current cage isn't even close to meeting this standard then you can probably anticipate Pagel telling you to cut it all out and start over, as is frequently (but not always) the case with oval track cages.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Awesome fellas thank you. Trying not to be a complete idiot. I did read the how not to fail tech. Going to take another look at the Taurus in the next couple days. Just the advice I was looking for!

I still find it odd that our local circle track has way less safety requirements than Lemons,  At this local dirt track you WILL get hit in some form or fashion EVERY week,  No specs on the cage or fire suit, no fire suppression system, or HANS is required.  The only thing they actively police is their no comms rule. Fire = OK.  Talking on a radio to the pits =  DQ.  Crazy!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Talking on a radio to the pits =  DQ.

Oh, now there's a penalty! Anyone interrupting the official track and/or Lemons HQ radio channels has to go get Dairy Queen for the staff.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Bdr529 wrote:

Awesome fellas thank you. Trying not to be a complete idiot. !

If your building a Lemons Car and gonna run with this crew - you may have already passed this point....Just saying

Good Luck!

Cordoba

VKZ24 wrote:

I still find it odd that our local circle track has way less safety requirements than Lemons,  At this local dirt track you WILL get hit in some form or fashion EVERY week,  No specs on the cage or fire suit, no fire suppression system, or HANS is required.  The only thing they actively police is their no comms rule. Fire = OK.  Talking on a radio to the pits =  DQ.  Crazy!

Most of those cars aren't doing the speeds that Lemons car will be doing. You are talking about a 1/4 mile track. Our car (88WS6 Firebird) will hit well over 100 on the straights. There also aren't 100 cars on the track at once.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"