1 (edited by PhilipG 2024-01-31 02:55 PM)

Topic: Has a cayenne ever been raced?

I’ve seen one for sale, wrecked, missing title, can’t pass emissions. Musing to my cheap bastard ears. But, has anyone tried a cayenne yet? Think it would hold up? I’d have to beat them up significantly on price but that’s half the fun. 

Edit: the more I think about it the worse this idea sounds

Re: Has a cayenne ever been raced?

I don't think its been done but I am starting to see them for sale very cheaply. You can probably sell off a lot of stuff to earn money. In the end, it will likely be heavy, slow and unreliable.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

I don't think its been done but I am starting to see them for sale very cheaply. You can probably sell off a lot of stuff to earn money. In the end, it will likely be heavy, slow and unreliable.

So perfect!!!!

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

4 (edited by PhilipG 2024-01-31 06:24 PM)

chaase wrote:

This one is asking 3 or so thousand. I had the same thought. If the engine and turbo are ok, I can throw whatever legal fender on it and beat out the body work but idk what I can sell to make 2500 bucks if I can’t sell the wheels and tires, or body panels. The sunroof and motor might be worth a few bucks and I can screw down a sheet of metal to seal the hole but per the rules I can’t sell much of value unless I’m missing it. Seats maybe? No interior panels will work.

Then god help me if it has gremlins

I don’t see this being a good idea, or even fun, with that particular car.

5 (edited by PhilipG 2024-01-31 06:23 PM)

Rules for quick reference

https://ibb.co/N3hf8Fg

Rules for quick reference

I think most judges would show mercy, I know I would! Such a poor choice should be applauded.

Judge Manny.

8 (edited by chaase 2024-02-01 06:18 AM)

I see them for $3k on Facebook Market Place. Negotiate a little lower and sell off what you can. You might get to $500.00 but as long as you chop it down even remotely closely, I would let it slide. If its a race I am judging. It's such a poor decision that you won't be punished by me. Your choice in cars would be punishment enough.

Before you go down this path, the vehicle would require a weight waiver from Pagel.and potentially a conversion to fuel cell. The stock tank may be too large.

Chris

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

9 (edited by PhilipG 2024-02-01 01:07 PM)

Mkotzias wrote:

I think most judges would show mercy, I know I would! Such a poor choice should be applauded.

Judge Manny.

LOL

Valid.

Would love a 928 but can’t find one cheap. I must be thick in the head with my choices. Mostly I’ve just wanted a 928 since I was a kid.

If my memory serves me correctly. There is a north east team that runs a 928.I think its the same lunatics that ran Peugeot 405s ......Two of them, one as a tow vehicle!

Mkotzias wrote:

If my memory serves me correctly. There is a north east team that runs a 928.I think its the same lunatics that ran Peugeot 405s ......Two of them, one as a tow vehicle!

Team Punisher GP runs a 928. The 928 and 924 are fairly abundant on Facebook Marketplace

12 (edited by PhilipG 2024-02-02 06:03 PM)

chaase wrote:
Mkotzias wrote:

Team Punisher GP runs a 928. The 928 and 924 are fairly abundant on Facebook Marketplace

Oh I keep watching.  Nothing local yet. Somewhere my pos awaits me.

I just don’t want to show up with a 928 and have people think I’m there to be serious racer. I’ve just always wanted one so why not if I can find one. I’m not even a good driver.

Mkotzias wrote:

I like the cut of their jib

Mkotzias wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqt5Q7TMaxY

PhilipG wrote:
chaase wrote:
Mkotzias wrote:

Oh I keep watching.  Nothing local yet. Somewhere my pos awaits me.

I just don’t want to show up with a 928 and have people think I’m there to be serious racer. I’ve just always wanted one so why not if I can find one. I’m not even a good driver.

If you show up with a 928 powered by a Porsche, everyone will know you are not a serious racer. Porsche is not known for their Lemons reliability and/or their ease of repair. I've seen many a team suffer trying to repair their busted a$$ 9xx, assuming they could even get the parts.

jiggermyster wrote:
Mkotzias wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqt5Q7TMaxY

NIce! All the way back in '09!

There have been a lot of Porsche's in Lemons.

chaase wrote:

Before you go down this path, the vehicle would require a weight waiver from Pagel.and potentially a conversion to fuel cell. The stock tank may be too large.

Chris

Definitely needs a weight waiver. And a stock fuel tank is a stock fuel tank. If the stock tank is 26 gallons, you can still use it as far as I know. But in asking Pagel and Jay for a weight waiver, you can ask about that.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

18 (edited by chaase 2024-02-07 05:47 AM)

therood wrote:
chaase wrote:

Chris

Definitely needs a weight waiver. And a stock fuel tank is a stock fuel tank. If the stock tank is 26 gallons, you can still use it as far as I know. But in asking Pagel and Jay for a weight waiver, you can ask about that.

For some reason, I thought I read a post from him on the forums that the 24 gallon limit was a hard limit stock or not but I could've misunderstood. The rule also says this which I take to mean 24 gallons is max capacity.

3.8.1     General Fuel System Regs. All fuel systems, including OE fuel tanks and aftermarket fuel cells, must be sound and in good working order. Maximum allowed capacity is 24 gallons or less. Fuel containers must be completely behind, or completely in front of, the driver (unless OE parts in their OE locations). No second fuel containers allowed (unless OE parts in their OE locations). OE tanks must retain all OE systems (filler, mounts, vents, etc.); all OE tanks and systems must be wholly unmodified.

A v6 Cayenne is all the typical VW VR6 issues in a 4500 lb wrapper. Not much fun.

Now a V8 or turbo v8 Cayenne, thats a horse of a different color. I’ve driven and worked on a bunch. Power for days and brakes to match. Decent suspension geometry. It would be hard on consumables, the OEM pads are huge but not thick, and the tires are BIG. I’d believe that you could get lap times squarely in the middle of A class, not the pointy end, but good and quick. The sensation of speed is magnified by how high you sit, the “climb up here and take off like a Z06” feeling is kinda strange.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

I dunno.  Car & Driver clocked an '03 Turbo at 5,724 pounds.  Yes, that's the top-of-the-line model with all fluids, ostensibly a full gas tank, and all that.  But.  I have a hard time believing the base trim drops 1,600 pounds off of that figure.  And, to my understanding, heavy SUVs are exactly the vehicles the weight limit was imposed for, for the rest of our safety. 

Not saying you can't try, and can't do it if granted permission, but, it's not my favorite idea.

Semi-Sentient Centenarians
1996 Buick Century - we upgraded our crappy GM sedan with parts from a crappy GM minivan.
"It's got a van motor, a 220 cubic inch plant, it's got van tires, van suspension, van shocks. It's a model with the catalytic converters ripped out so
     it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it a racecar or what?" - Blues Brothers, Probably

mthew_m wrote:

I dunno.  Car & Driver clocked an '03 Turbo at 5,724 pounds.  Yes, that's the top-of-the-line model with all fluids, ostensibly a full gas tank, and all that.  But.  I have a hard time believing the base trim drops 1,600 pounds off of that figure.  And, to my understanding, heavy SUVs are exactly the vehicles the weight limit was imposed for, for the rest of our safety. 

Not saying you can't try, and can't do it if granted permission, but, it's not my favorite idea.

The Cayenne lost nearly 500lbs between the 957 and 958 generations. My 2014 Cayenne Diesel has a rated curb weight of 4795lbs. It also has the same 60-0 distance performance as a GT86. OP didn't specific what generation of Cayenne, but I'm just saying it should be easy to get a 958 under the max weight.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

Put even bigger tires on and do a miata crushing monster truck theme