Topic: Any EV teams? Post here about your build (if you want) and contact me!

Hi all,

We're building a 900HP AWD Volvo XC70 EV here in Bellingham, WA. I know there are several other teams around the country building EVs, and I think this would be a lot more fun if we got to know each other.

Also, our team started a youtube channel (not yet ready to post here) and it sure would be great to have some interviews with other EV race teams to try and build some public excitement for this stupid thing we're all doing. We're going to be pretty open about what we're doing and putting it online for everyone to see, and are pretty happy to help out others. We're all doing something that has never been done before.

Anyway, I'd love to chat if you fit into that category, or if you're interested in joining an EV team (we're looking to grow to about 12 people, right now we're about half that.) Email me at theglassishalf at gmail dot com. Application form here . Anyone can subscribe to updates here. Facebook group here

Message me any of those places. Lets get to know each other and share parts & misery!

Re: Any EV teams? Post here about your build (if you want) and contact me!

Hell yeah guys! I'm trying to get a Nissan Leaf on track in 2026, but it would involve swapping in a Cobalt SS subframe+powertrain.. so I'd basically be going the other way (EV->ICE) ... admittedly much easier than what you are trying to do. The first hurdle that I think might already be a stoppage is getting a thumbs up from Pagel, and I've only received one response that seems to be more 'no' than 'yes'... still waiting to hear back on clarification.

Have you talked to him yet? Unfortunately, I'm worried that if a team that has build 4 Lemons cars and multiple space frame chassis cars can't get a thumbs up for an ICE conversion, I'd be curious how easily you'll be able to get the go-ahead here. I love the idea of someone trying to score those million nickels, but figured it wouldn't hurt to double check if you've contacted Pagel.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

3 (edited by Salish Sea EV 2024-02-26 12:30 PM)

Hi! I have spoken with John and exchanged a few emails. He stopped responding about 3 weeks ago but I think he's just incredibly busy.

...I don't think you need John's special permission to do that swap? The special rules are only for EVs. You're not racing an EV so long as you're taking out the HV system. If it showed up for a Lemons race and it passes ICE tech, I don't know why there would be any issues whatsoever.

That'll be a great conversion, btw! Please share some pics or vids.

Yeah I also think he's just busy, but most of the time I hear back from him on the same day.

The issue comes in with swapping subframes since that skirts the line of frame modification. I would argue that they're still OE crash structures and not tube frames, but I'm a bit surprised how much scrutiny this straight-forward swap may see. For all good and valid reasons, safety has become stricter, but it unfortunately makes it harder to modify and make weird things. I don't want to thread-jack, but just wanted to bring it up to make sure that you don't go through all this effort just for it to get shot down.

Appreciate it! I'm awful about that kinda stuff, but I'll try my best! You as well.

Full Ass Racing

5 (edited by Salish Sea EV 2024-02-26 05:59 PM)

That makes sense...was only thinking about EV rules, not the regular rules.

But you could do the swap without swapping the subframe? That's what we're doing...we're going to adopt or fabricate CV axles, and use the Volvo wheel and suspension assembly and OE subframe.

The subframe is structural so I get why they wouldn't want you to swap that. I think Jay is dreading the day that someone dies doing this, and it is just a matter of time no matter how careful they are.

If you pull off that swap it'll be wicked fast. If you decide you wanna do a reverse Tesla swap let me know, maybe we can share parts big_smile

6 (edited by Zacks 2024-02-26 07:07 PM)

I'm not doing an EV for Lemons I really wanted to do an EV swap for a daily but battery cost makes it not worthwhile IMO (not for the range id want)

I'm really curious: are you planning on charging every time your battery is low or are you trying to engineer a crazy way to hot swap batteries?

And how would you charge in a timely manner (either the vehicle or the removed battery)  you need like 40a 220 for a level 2 charger but for racing id think even that's not fast enough.  Do you have a generator with serious punch or what?  I live in Seattle and I don't recall charging stations at the ridge.  I dunno what pacific has but...

There are so many safeties in the battery systems I imagine swapping would be quite difficult to make fast, but that would be so cool!

I have the perfect pit vehicle for an EV team (shameless self promotion here)...
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=41928
Other side of the country though.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Salish Sea EV: Yes, but I believe (completely guessing... I have a cobalt subframe, but *shockingly* I don't know anyone with a Leaf to take measurements) it would be a lot harder to shoehorn an engine+turbo into the leaf subframe than just swap over the whole subframe. I'd argue safer as well since everything will be located and mounted as god intended. Totally makes sense that you can keep the stock subframes... it's much easier replacing a big thing with a small thing, than the other way around haha. Lol that would epic...or I can make a volvo powered tesla, and you can make a tesla powered volvo? Bottom 10% of the field here we come! But in reality I want a leaf, it's one of the cars that I hate too much not to own.

Zacks: If you're interested in EV swapping ~2025-2026, PM me if you'd want leaf bits. The Leaf battery is worthless, but people use the Leaf powertrain quite often when doing EV conversions. I think the few EV teams out there hot swapped batteries... there just isn't a practical way to charge during a pit stop and it'd be nice to monitor cell health/repair battery packs offline. I'm starting to fairly regularly see charging stations get installed at tracks here in CA... I can't imagine WA is too far behind. I'm curious if you can use those chargers to charge your batteries by tricking them into thinking it's a car and not just a battery pack? And even if you can... I would be curious if track staff would even let you do that.

I briefly looked into trying to get the million nickels and realized I'm not smart enough to pull it off.. but if you haven't already found them, these may be helpful:
I found this video from the 25hrs of thunderhill on quick swapping batteries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29LGfllk5Qo&t=142s
team duff beer (no idea how to find them) has done an EV before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKXihJJINL4

Full Ass Racing

9 (edited by Salish Sea EV 2024-02-28 02:21 AM)

duthehustle93: I know someone with a leaf chassis they are trying to get rid of if you wanna throw something into it. I bet they'd let it go cheap. In Bellingham, WA though so maybe a bit far for something you can get anywhere for really cheap.

For the Nissan reverse-EV swap, a turbo Suzuki Hyuabusa or some nice reliable 6-cyl (Honda?) is where I would go if I wanted to win, or if I'd rather lose in a blaze of glory, something offensive like an Iron Duke. Maybe you could find a wrecked Porsche? An air-cooled 911-engined Leaf would make lots of people very unhappy. It would make everyone unhappy.

In re Tesla/Volvo swap...you say bottom 10 percent but those 2.5L 5 cyl turbos are beasts. Nice wide power range, amazing sound, extremely reliable (in a Volvo), and not actually that heavy. What is heavy is everything else in the car. Same with the Tesla...they are light if you take out all the bullshit. if you took a Model 3 (or, for 100,000 bonus points, a Roadster), took out all the heavy bits, and put a Volvo engine in it, you'd be in the hunt.

Thanks! I'll shoot you a PM, I doubt it'll be worth it though (there are complete/running Leafs here for $1500).

I'm leaning towards the LNF turbo ecotec because it's the same engine as what's in my DF Goblin... having several cars at my house, its always nice being able to share spares or probe a working car to find out why your other one isn't working. A Honda odyssey powertrain did cross my mind, but also something about having a turbo in an EV chassis really gets me going. Also, everyone knows that highly strung out forced induction engines are the key to reliability lol.

Re re bottom 10%.. I guess what I mean is you WILL be broken during the first several races when fusing different cars together. They'll be quick, but it's mind blowing how quick you'll go from top 10 to 100th place when your stuck in the paddock.

Full Ass Racing

I just saw/noticed that a Chevy Bolt was at thunderhill. I was able to find his email through a blog post: https://medium.com/@fiandola/electric-t … 23b381aac4

I reached out to him to ask a few questions and got a quick response. Seems like a really nice guy and maybe he can shed some insight on your build. Hopefully this is helpful since there are so few EV teams out there.

Full Ass Racing

for the wagon, id think that a battery tray could be loaded from the back, then at a pit stop, you would wheel in an engine hoist, pull the whole tray out the back, move aside, and wheel in the next tray with a separate hoist.

Plug it in and away you go.

Heck done right it might be faster than a fuel stop.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

We got a video up explaining the build! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHAC8bWQdFk

Hey Salish,

I commented on your YouTube video a while back.

Your build is interesting and ambitious. I will enjoy following along.

Good luck,

Troy

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Hey All! Glad to see so many EV teams popping up, we really want some competition!

We're team Arcblast, we competed at the B.F.E GP last year - check out the Lemons recap. Apparently we were the first EV team under the new ruleset?

I'm more than happy to talk details about our Datsun 620 - NA Miata - Jaguar Ipace abomination, but for a basic overview check out Ron Grosinger's podcast on youtube: "Datsun EV race truck for 24 Hours of Lemons on Mr. G's EV Community Hangout"

I also did a CAD spin on "CAD and 3D printing for EV Conversions"

More pictures on Instagram @teamarcblast

@Salish, just watched your video - interesting concept! We opted for a low power setup. We should compare notes!