Topic: Greenhorn Teen looking For Team

I’m 16. I am looking for a team in the Midwest (Wisconsin/upper Illinois) stupid/crazy enough to take me. I have enough money for my own race suit but i don’t know how much money I can give to the team. I’ve never raced IRL but I play video games (BeamNG.Drive (I know it’s not the same as a real car. But it’s better than nothing)) and have knowledge driving sports cars and cars with manual transmissions. Again, im not expecting respect or anything. Just some team stupid or crazy enough to take me.

Re: Greenhorn Teen looking For Team

I will do whatever it takes. I just want in.

1912doofT wrote:

I will do whatever it takes. I just want in.

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.4929727942.1288/flat,750x1000,075,f.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

4 (edited by 1912doofT 2024-02-02 06:14 PM)

I’m trying at least. That’s better than most people my age. Can’t say im wrong. What can be said though is your using a meme thats been dead since 2017. (I’m just trying to get started. Doesn’t help that I don’t know anyone and I’m a rookie in ever sense of the word)

How big is your allowance?

Don't mean to sound pedantic but just to get you in a drivers seat is going to cost you around $2000-2500 in safety gear and drivers fees for your first race and $1000-1500 PER race after that. So if you join a team that does 4 races a year, you're could be staring down a $5000-7000 investment. A suit is just part of your safety gear, helmet, gloves, shoes. nomex undies, and most importantly a HANS device all rack up the cost, even if you buy used or share a hans.

have knowledge driving sports cars and cars with manual transmissions.

This is highly generic. What kind of "experience". Real world racing is much different than sim racing, and downshifting into a corner at 100mph is a lot different than pulling up to a stop sign. There is no reset button. If you badly crash someone's race car are you prepared to spend up to $20,000 to help replace that car?

The best thing you can do now is figure out how to get funded for this expensive hobby, and start attending HPDEs at your local tracks. If you can get your own track day beater car (like an old miata) and learn how to prepare/repair that car, you'll get a good idea of what goes into racing as well as gain non-sim experience that you can put on a resume. There's no reason not to wait a few years, especially since you "will do whatever it takes".

At the end of the day, someone has to pay the bills, so it's a crazy notion to think that just buying a suit is going to get you a chance to race. People in Lemons are crazy, but not that kind of crazy.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

6 (edited by 1912doofT 2024-02-02 08:25 PM)

KeiCarMike wrote:

This is highly generic. What kind of "experience". Real world racing is much different than sim racing, and downshifting into a corner at 100mph is a lot different than pulling up too a stop sign.

Thank you for all the information. The rules are somewhat vague when it comes to exactly how much it costs. I do not have any on track experience and do not have a local track but I do own and regularly drive a 3 series BMW. I have not downshifted into a turn at 100 MPH but I have downshifted into a corner at 60+. I know how to stay focused when I”m about to grey out. I know how G’s feel and what to do to avoid passing out from them.

Let me suggest you take a mature attitude toward your interest - as I did - and immerse yourself in the knowledge contained in this forum.

I lurked here for about a year and a half before even registering to post.

I'll specifically suggest you begin with the "stickies" in the "Lemons Newcomers" section.

Then find threads which answer questions you currently have.

Then find threads that are interesting to you in some way.

And: read them in detail, including the responses.

Almost all initial questions have been answered here numerous times already.

Do the work yourself - in this lway you'll show potential value to a team.

When you have thoroughly read this forum, you'll have most of the answers you're looking for.

This is known as the "Read The Forum Meme", which will never die.

1912doofT wrote:

I’m trying at least. That’s better than most people my age. Can’t say im wrong. What can be said though is your using a meme thats been dead since 2017. (I’m just trying to get started. Doesn’t help that I don’t know anyone and I’m a rookie in ever sense of the word)

Go to a race near you and talk to the teams would be a nice start.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

9 (edited by 1912doofT 2024-02-03 07:16 PM)

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Let me suggest you take a mature attitude toward your interest - as I did - and immerse yourself in the knowledge contained in this forum.

I lurked here for about a year and a half before even registering to post.

I'll specifically suggest you begin with the "stickies" in the "Lemons Newcomers" section.

Then find threads which answer questions you currently have.

Then find threads that are interesting to you in some way.

And: read them in detail, including the responses.

Almost all initial questions have been answered here numerous times already.

Do the work yourself - in this lway you'll show potential value to a team.

When you have thoroughly read this forum, you'll have most of the answers you're looking for.

This is known as the "Read The Forum Meme", which will never die.

I’ll be honest. I have no knowledge driving on a race track. I do have knowledge of wrenching on BMWs though. I know thats not much but its something in halfway decent at. Its really always been a dream of mine to get into racing and I cant afford carting

I'll repeat the advice above. Get to a race and take it all in. Talk to teams and you may find one near you that will allow you to be on the crew until you are able to afford a turn on the track. The costs will be a lot less to crew than it will be to drive.

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

I'll repeat the advice above. Get to a race and take it all in. Talk to teams and you may find one near you that will allow you to be on the crew until you are able to afford a turn on the track. The costs will be a lot less to crew than it will be to drive.

I could afford a turn on the track. I may not have the money now but I could by the first race I can get to. Easily.

I think it's great that you want to get involved just double check I thought that the rules said you need to be 18 years old to get on track and possibly into the hot pits. on track is very different than the street to sim racing but you have to start somewhere, one thing I would suggest is once you do get on track which I have no doubt you will take it easy and work up to fast, it finish first, first you have to finish so get in the car on test and tune day and go around the track ate 30 to 40 MPH and see how it feels to hit the brakes hard and take corners on the gas and not using brakes, the other advice is great, while Lemons is some of the most cost effective racing you can do at this level it is not free and still not cheap. the weekend of racing is $1200 to $1500 and than yo have all the other "fees Hotel, food, race suit breaking the car getting to and from the track ect.

good luck I hope you find a seat!

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

Thank you paddock rat. I’m going to try doing a racing school this year. Not only would that give me experience in driving performance cars but also set me up for potentially racing in SCCA races. I still want to participate in Lemons though because at the very least portions of the community seem friendly

14 (edited by mkimball74 2024-04-01 06:04 PM)

etb1009 wrote:

I think it's great that you want to get involved just double check I thought that the rules said you need to be 18 years old to get on track and possibly into the hot pits.

Definitely not! Ran my first Lemons race at 16 last year and will back this year as a co-owner on a team.

I think it's great you want to get involved as well. Lucky for you, I know how you feel.

1912doofT-
We do not have any races on the schedule for the Midwest. I might be able to get you in our e30 if you can make it closer to the northeast.

I do not care how old you are.

We will be at PittRace April 13-14. The database is now closed, so we cannot add you as crew. If you would like to drive with us, let me know. Any rookie has to do 1 HPDE to prove talent and general common sense, and you being unofficial crew at Pitt wouldn't hurt :)!!

Edit to add: http://racesuitrental.com/ is a great workaround to not having gear