1 (edited by Claylub 2024-04-06 12:02 PM)

Topic: Looking for seat at the Ridge

Hello everyone! My name's Caleb, I am from Washington State. I’m looking to get into a seat for the April race at the Ridge in Shelton.

I have been working on a Lemons car myself in my free time and originally planned to race at the Ridge this year, however, the motor in our car has bad compression and we will be swapping it. I do not have the time to swap it by the race sadly, I still dream of racing on the 27th, I am a college student (19 years old) who has been researching and saving up for Lemons for the past few years. I will be real here and say I’ve only got 1 performance day with the Porsche club on a track plus some autocross, all in a 6-speed E46 M3 cabrio. I realize this is not true wheel-to-wheel racing and I get that. I am a total noob when it comes to being on a racetrack surrounded by others, however, I am eager to learn and would do my best at all times to be safe on the track. I am mature and realize the cost of these expensive cars, as my personal project has already cost me 8k and will continue to eat my wallet once I am there.

I have all the required safety gear to race already in my possession and I also am able to help with track fees. I would spend the whole weekend with the team and can help with various tasks. I can transport myself down to the track, and while I am no mechanic, I have done brake jobs, fluid changes, some suspension work, and some other small things, and I am learning as I go through and work on my personal Lemons car.

I understand I am not everyone’s first choice, and I get that. Many people may read this and immediately think teenager=stupid and irresponsible, which I totally understand. I however am an Eagle Scout, and that might sound cringe to some, but I bring that up because it has taught me to take things seriously and try to come into everything I do with a positive outlook. I’d love a chance to learn, and if offered a seat I will be safe and respectful. Thanks for reading!

Re: Looking for seat at the Ridge

Hi Caleb, glad to hear you are looking to get involved in the Lemons experience. I am hoping you find a seat for the Ridge but it may be tough as that race tends to have a fairly low car count so the percentages aren't in your favor. Hope I'm wrong!

If you don't find a seat, I highly suggest going to the race weekend anyway. The Lemons community is great at welcoming in new people. Walk around and talk to/meet people that are racing and start your network.  It's a great way to make a connection for the future when you have your car ready (or if you need a seat because your hooptie is busted). Talk to the staff and hang around the penalty area (just don't get in the way).

Sorry For Party Racing, Ran When Parked Racing. #3 eLSS Camino, #21 TWAP Solstice.
WAP Pontiac Solstice (RIP)2007-2023

Caleb,

We are too far away to make the west coast races and as a college student you are not likely interested in flying to southeastern races, but my team would take an Eagle Scout with a good attitude and a good understanding of his limited experience any time.  We were all rookies once.  As timburrman said, hope you find a seat at the Ridge, but go watch & hang out even if you don't.  Maybe even volunteer to help crew for a team - many would be delighted to have an extra hand refueling, making gas or parts runs, and changing brake pads & rotating tires on Saturday night.  Teams are usually happy to talk about and show you their cars, and you never know when connections can come in handy - at some point nearly every team will need to fill a seat for a race.

BTW, look for Zack with the minivan elsewhere in the matchmaker section.  He is trying to run every race and is always looking for drivers.

4 (edited by rozap_ 2024-04-08 03:47 PM)

The driver database closed this weekend, but come by and spectate, make some friends.

We'll be there. Come by our paddock and say hi.

Best spectating method (imo) is to show up halfway through saturday, once some of the cars have broken, and then walk around after the session ends for the day and (i guess don't drink beer because you're 19 but...) meet some of the teams and hang out.

In the next year or two, we will enter a second car (currently it's sitting in my shop, non-running) which is an IOE slam dunk, and will need drivers and people who can turn a wrench.

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

Thank you all for the replies! It appears it is indeed hard to get a seat at the Ridge, but that’s alright. I will definitely head down to come watch at the Ridge in April and get a feel for things, and I’ll make sure to pay rozap_ a visit! It all looks like a lotta fun, I’m bummed me and my team couldn’t make the race but I’m excited to learn and witness Lemons. It should help me with planning and a bunch of other stuff when I end up entering a race with my team once our car is done. Thanks again for the information guys, I appreciate it!