Topic: RBR '24 Pregame chatter

I see some info is out for RBR '24 and it got me to wanting to do some chit-chat about it.

Who else is going? I'm looking forward to the more southern route this year. Hopefully, the heat won't be too crazy.

Who's sticking with the recommended accommodations? If not, what else you got cooking?

Lets get talking!

Re: RBR '24 Pregame chatter

Have you done a Lemons Rally before? If not, welcome!

I'll probably do RBR this year. But I have no intention of trying to win on points. I like being on the road, and like researching the history behind the checkpoints. It's all good!

I always choose my own hotels (I have points with one particular chain, as I travel a lot)--there's no obligation to use their suggestions, but there's a better chance of congregating with fellow rally participants if you do.

I'm glad it's not starting in Detroit again--I live 20 minutes away and the less I see of this area, the better. Still, the 2022 RBR had us out of the state quickly, and there were a lot of memorable checkpoints.  That drive to New Vrindaban was legendary.

--Rudy

Driver of soul-sucking appliances in the Rust Belt.
Instagramz: @thehooptiegarage

Yeah, we're wiley rally veterans. The white Granada. The West Virginia temple was quite a destination. And the road there was pretty memorable.
We're hoping that this year's itinerary will take us to the Uranus Fudge Factory.

Oh yeah!  I remember! 

I haven't been in a rally since Rocky Mtn last year, so if home issues allow (my better half is having surgery), I'm thinking about joining up.  I'd do Fall Failage except I usually am out in the Rockies that time of year.

--Rudy

I'm planning on being there.  I'm planning on having the Saturn ready to go, but as a backup I'm also sending the Baja to the shop in a couple weeks so it can be made road-legal again.  Either way, I'll be there, but I'm not planning on doing this rally alone.  So I'm gonna post on the Facebook group at some point in the not too distant future that if anyone else is looking for a partner, I'm their guy.  The only caveat is that I'm planning on getting into Indy a day early so I can do some sight seeing, as I'm a fan of a particular HGTV show that just ended its run last year.  So one of the main details to work out with any potential partner is whether we're using my car or theirs, so I can plan accordingly.

Not sure why they're recommending a hotel for the night before the rally, but whatever.  I usually just find a room the day of. somewhere.  I might book early.  Who knows?

I'm currently negotiating for a potential car that will fit in with our project merkur team/theme. However, it apparently only has 75% of the cylinders working and I'm not sure I have enough garage space to pull a motor and look at things.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Is it just my faulty memory, or did the original route for RBR24 posted last year have us going through Columbus rather than Cincinnati? It looks like it will be an interesting route from Florence (Cincinnati-ish) to Charleston WV.

KeiCarMike wrote:

I'm currently negotiating for a potential car that will fit in with our project merkur team/theme. However, it apparently only has 75% of the cylinders working and I'm not sure I have enough garage space to pull a motor and look at things.

Having owned an '85 XR4Ti when new...yeah, I feel your pain. Seven years' worth.  big_smile

puttcharlie wrote:

Not sure why they're recommending a hotel for the night before the rally, but whatever.

I believe that the recommendations are at the hotels where Lemons Rally staff stays, and it gives others a place to congregate (especially if they arrive late in the day).

I'm not finding anything suitable in my usual hotel chain, but might get a Holiday Inn Express in Zionsville which is only a few miles away from the start.  Zionsville has a nice little "main street" area, so I'm looking forward to visiting the area.  I usually reserve everything as soon as I know the destinations.

--Rudy

Has anyone thought of terrorizing the locals and getting an AirBnB for multiple teams to share along the route?

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

9 (edited by Jim'sJams1963 2024-05-01 11:13 AM)

KeiCarMike wrote:

According to Meatloaf's (RIP) metrics, 75% is pretty good.

We've done a few AirBnB's. That is becoming less-and-less of a desirable option. Also, a lot of moving parts, sharing accomodation costs with someone that may, or may not make it to that destination.