1 (edited by VKZ24 2024-02-09 08:07 AM)

Topic: Brakes? What brakes!?

This video clip is from our #441 Petty Cash & The Car Breakers 2003 Mazda 6 on Friday's test day at Barber.  Pay close attention to my right leg as I enter the museum turn.

YouTube Link

I'm really thankful for that gravel trap!  I was doing about 60 or so when I lost the brakes and those rocks stopped me pretty darn quick.  Otherwise I would have hit the outside wall.

Turns out the brake line was rubbing on the tire and caused the failure.  Took us over an hour just to remove all the rocks that were wedged everywhere, but otherwise we just replaced the brake line, re-bled the brakes, and we were able to continue on.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Re: Brakes? What brakes!?

Brake fade is certainly an uncomfortable feeling, so completely losing brake pressure must be even more nerve-wracking.

CaptainRichard wrote:

Brake fade is certainly an uncomfortable feeling, so completely losing brake pressure must be even more nerve-wracking.

It happened so fast that at the time I had no idea how I missed the corner.  It was almost like I drove over a section of ice or something.  When we pulled the wheels, the RF was covered in brake fluid.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Nice save!