Topic: Interior parts that can be sold to offset initial cost?

Hey there, folks. After reading the Lemons rules, I saw that interior trim can't be sold to help offset the purchase price of a car or other costs, but I thought this was a little strange as parting out trim pieces would be a decent way to lower overall cost and recoup money on the project, especially on older cars with hard to find trim.

Do the judges have any flexibility on that these days? If not, what all do you suggest to sell from the interior that does count?

2 (edited by chaase 2024-04-25 04:15 AM)

Re: Interior parts that can be sold to offset initial cost?

I am not sure why they have it worded that way in the rules. I think part of it was you could use the OEM seat in the early days. The basic rule of thumb I use when doing BS inspection is that if its needed to pass tech or its exempt, you can't sell it to reduce your cost  You would basically be double dipping. You can sell your seats, because you have to replace them. You can sell your glass moon roof because you can't have it installed. You can't sell your windshield or wheels because you need those. You can sell off trim pieces, radios since they are not required to race/pass tech.

My experience is you don't get a lot of money for trim pieces unless its a rare car. It may help offset the costs but it isn't going to get your $3k+ car down to $500.

My standard caveat applies, bring something terrible and I don't care. If its British, French, Italian or more than 40 years old, no one cares just make it safe.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

you can totally sell stuff off to get down to the $500 number, we were just at pitt race with a new car (we broke on testy and could not get the parts to fix it) we did not even get to tech the car for the first time, I spoke to the judges at length about the car and the price tag of items and what I should bring with me to the NJ race. the main take away was that the BS judges will give you the class and penalty laps that they think the car is worth and can run in. for example we have a mk5 GTI  that broke on test day I said because of that history of the car could we bribe into class c and 0 laps but he said no it will be a class a car and we could bribe for the laps as we are close to the $500 number but they go off of what they know of for the price of the cars.

hope this was helpful in someway

Team Captain: Highway to Schnell '06 VW GTI, it did run for a very short time! we will get there!
Team member: The Neighbors '89 Foxbody notchback 4 races, finished 2
no wins yet but hoping!

4 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2024-04-25 07:45 AM)

Note: I'm not a judge, and have 'not yet' completed an entry vehicle.

My understanding is that class is specific to the car (and perhaps team).

Dollars spent over the limit only result in potential penalty laps.

And there's judge's discretion involved.

It's only potential penalty laps. Assuming you've paid early enough, the race is not oversubscribed, and pass tech (thanks, rb92673), you still get to race.

CaptainRichard wrote:

Hey there, folks. After reading the Lemons rules, I saw that interior trim can't be sold to help offset the purchase price of a car or other costs, but I thought this was a little strange as parting out trim pieces would be a decent way to lower overall cost and recoup money on the project, especially on older cars with hard to find trim.

Do the judges have any flexibility on that these days? If not, what all do you suggest to sell from the interior that does count?

If you can sell it and put some money back into your pocket, absolutely do it.  Document it and the judges might accept it.

As long as you can pass tech inspection you still get to race.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

6 (edited by CaptainRichard 2024-04-25 08:00 AM)

chaase wrote:

I am not sure why they have it worded that way in the rules. I think part of it was you could use the OEM seat in the early days. The basic rule of thumb I use when doing BS inspection is that if its needed to pass tech or its exempt, you can't sell it to reduce your cost  You would basically be double dipping. You can sell your seats, because you have to replace them. You can sell your glass moon roof because you can't have it installed. You can't sell your windshield or wheels because you need those. You can sell off trim pieces, radios since they are not required to race/pass tech.

My experience is you don't get a lot of money for trim pieces unless its a rare car. It may help offset the costs but it isn't going to get your $3k+ car down to $500.

My standard caveat applies, bring something terrible and I don't care. If its British, French, Italian or more than 40 years old, no one cares just make it safe.

I appreciate the clarification here and perhaps the wording could be updated to this as your explanation makes more sense. It gives me more hope of keeping a reasonable budget! lol

Thank you for the other replies and insight as well, guys.

CaptainRichard wrote:

yes we bought our 1sr car, 84 L69 Trans Am for $750. I sold almost $1600 in parts, sadly you can only go to  $0

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Definitely sell off what you can.  Even if it doesn't count towards the $500 limit, it all helps.

And I haven't seen a spreadsheet recently.  We showed up this year ready to argue and were happy with our placement.  We still bribed them just to get the tattoo.

Team LMFAlfaRomeO
1987 Alfa Romeo Milano 2.5