Topic: isaac device vs hans

http://www.isaacdirect.com/

I'm thinking of trying this instead of a hans.  Has anyone got any experience with both?

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Re: isaac device vs hans

I have an intermediete, and I love it.  Comfortable, doesn't limit side to side movement all that much, and I can get in and out of the car very easily with it.  I haven't had to test it, thankfully.  The down side to getting that versus a hans, etc, is it is not rated, so unfortunatly most sanctioning bodies don't allow it.  The reason that it isn't rated is it does not have a single release. I know Lemons is fine with it, and I think that chump car and used car would be fine with it too.  I got mine for de's, so never had to worry about if it was okay.  Second downside is the cost of additional helmet kits.  I am the only one on my team that has it, so we have to take a couple of seconds to take it off the harness's.  But it's pretty easy.  Pm me with any questions.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I understand they mechanically limit the helmet but are they just limiters or do they have a gas charge/spring to slow movement as well?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:

I understand they mechanically limit the helmet but are they just limiters or do they have a gas charge/spring to slow movement as well?

Yes, they are mini "shocks"

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

ecugrad wrote:
Riktor wrote:

After watching the video we are considering the device. Since many "accidents" that have happened to our team have been lateral impacts.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:
ecugrad wrote:
Riktor wrote:

After watching the video we are considering the device. Since many "accidents" that have happened to our team have been lateral impacts.

Talk to Nic/Jay about whether you can use it or not.  They are NOT SFI 38.1 certified but completely OWN most other HNR's on lateral impacts.

I asked about the budget model "link" and was basically shot down due to no certs.

I used mine at lamest day, and tech had no problem with it.  I plan on using it again at American Irony.

Bloomington, IN
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

ecugrad wrote:
Riktor wrote:
ecugrad wrote:

Talk to Nic/Jay about whether you can use it or not.  They are NOT SFI 38.1 certified but completely OWN most other HNR's on lateral impacts.

I asked about the budget model "link" and was basically shot down due to no certs.

It's better than a damned foam pad... that can be seen just by looking at it...

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:
ecugrad wrote:
Riktor wrote:

It's better than a damned foam pad... that can be seen just by looking at it...

That was my thought.  I think I asked about it and it was okayed, but I don't remember.

Bloomington, IN

I was shot down for the "econo" model, the Link.   Well I really wasn't shot down but Nick wanted SFI certs, and it has none, so I didn't push it.

Jay said"as long as I was good with it, he was good with it.".  I have the intermediete version.

Bloomington, IN

davisriley wrote:

Jay said"as long as I was good with it, he was good with it.".  I have the intermediete version.

Ultimately it is your neck and skull that will break. As long as you have taken some step to protect it... that's all they care about.

Sons of STIG

And it's a hell of a lot better than a foam dog collar.

Bloomington, IN

davisriley wrote:

And it's a hell of a lot better than a foam dog collar.

Bingo

Sons of STIG

How quick is disengagement, i.e. if the car was on fire and you were unconscious, would responding personnell be able to locate these and remove the struts from the harness?

I currently use the foam collar, looking for better solutions as well.  I like the Leatt brace, good looking design IMHO, haven't used one personally though.

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)

Stang Man wrote:

How quick is disengagement, i.e. if the car was on fire and you were unconscious, would responding personnell be able to locate these and remove the struts from the harness?

I currently use the foam collar, looking for better solutions as well.  I like the Leatt brace, good looking design IMHO, haven't used one personally though.

I like the Leatt as well... asfter seeing the one the Stang driver (you?) was wearing and the Moto-R that is offered I am pretty set on that if I can't convince a shop to loan us their Hans.

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:

I like the Leatt as well... asfter seeing the one the Stang driver (you?) was wearing and the Moto-R that is offered I am pretty set on that if I can't convince a shop to loan us their Hans.

+1. My DD/DE car doesn't have a cage/harness bar/harness, so I can't use a HANS in it. I was looking at the Leatt so that I can use it @ the races and DE's too.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Stang Man wrote:

Releases are very easy.  One on either side, they just pull out.  I wish there was a way they could come up with a one handed release, then the certification problem wouldn't an issue, but it takes about as much time to release as releasing the camlock on the seat belts.

Bloomington, IN

Riktor wrote:
Stang Man wrote:

Nah not mine, but I did see that driver post something about it on here. 

What I like about the LEATT is that you use standard 3" belts, so if you're the only driver using the LEATT everyone can use the same shoulder belts.

I've seen some HANS devices require a certain shoulder belt, so if you plan on running the HANS the rest of your crew will need to do so as well, or have 2 sets of shoulder belts in the car.

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)