1 (edited by MurileeMartin 2010-02-24 07:26 PM)

Topic: Who's got photos of the #91 MonstaRX-7 Mazda from MSR?

I'm doing the traditional Top Lemons Of Lemons post, and I seem to have photos of every car that made it onto the track... except for the #91 RX-7, which is allegedly a 1991. The car managed to get 10 laps in, but not while I (or Nick) had our cameras going. Did anyone get any shots of this car on the track?

My only photo of the car was captured by the BSCam™ on Friday. It appears to be black with primer front body; you can see it at about 1:18 in the BS Inspection Timelapse video.

Re: Who's got photos of the #91 MonstaRX-7 Mazda from MSR?

They shreaded a radiator hose and I had seen the car a few times in the pits and did not think it was anything more than a standard RX-7.

Then again my mom drank allot in 1970.

Justice...with a smile.

They're some good friends of mine, let me see what I can come up with...

#61 325ES E30, Theissen's Revenge
Formerly #17/61, Poliezi und Banditen (black E30 with the basset hound)
8x loser

I don't suspect them of foul play, just want a photo of their car on the track for the Top Lemons post.

That was our car!  It was running like a turd on Friday's test and tune, the first time we had the car over 40 MPH ever, so we pulled the top end apart Friday night and yanked the 5/6 port sleeves.  We found our top end Saturday!

However, with 186k miles on the motor, the coolant seals let go at 10 laps or whatever it was.  This overpressurized the radiator hose, causing it to also burst.  The motor got so hot the oil was smoking, as well as the bare metal of the rotor housings and irons.  Water was pouring out of the combustion "chamber" when we pulled the plugs.  Residual value anyone?!

As far as pictures, I have tons of it in the pits/trailer, but none on the track.  I found ONE site that had one picture up, it can be found here:  http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orderpa … amp;pc=397

If anyone else has any shots that'd be great, but we're going for a shot at redemption @ Eagle's Canyon in June regardless!

Arron

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)

Wait... the apex seals didn't go first. Freak rotary engine... CHEAT. tongue

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:

Wait... the apex seals didn't go first. Freak rotary engine... CHEAT. tongue

We'll see when we pull the old one apart!  Its N/A, so I think the apex seals last a bit longer than their turbo brethren.

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)

Ive found some pics of our car on cafe-pics.com...

http://cafephoto.smugmug.com/24hr-LeMon … 9697_XFLZx

also # 641 809 906 1127 1224 1269

2004 Z06 CE
2006 MUSTANG GT
1993 5.0 LX COUPE
2006 CBR1000RR 91 LEMON RX7

Stang Man wrote:
Riktor wrote:

Wait... the apex seals didn't go first. Freak rotary engine... CHEAT. :P

We'll see when we pull the old one apart!  Its N/A, so I think the apex seals last a bit longer than their turbo brethren.

That is true. One of drivers has a RX7 he runs in series races. Says it lasts for ever cause it is N/A...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Stang Man wrote:

I have tons of it in the pits/trailer, but none on the track.

I've got one photo I shot of your burst radiator hose, but none of the car. Can you send me one of the pit shots? I've asked the pro photo sites to give me permission to use their shots, but that sometimes takes a long time and I'm working on this post for the weekend.

MurileeMartin wrote:
Stang Man wrote:

I have tons of it in the pits/trailer, but none on the track.

I've got one photo I shot of your burst radiator hose, but none of the car. Can you send me one of the pit shots? I've asked the pro photo sites to give me permission to use their shots, but that sometimes takes a long time and I'm working on this post for the weekend.

Won't be able to get to my Mini SD card until Saturday morning, but I can e-mail you a few then if you'd like.  Let me know!

Arron

Stang Man wrote:

the coolant seals let go

Same thing happened to us the first race at MSR.  We fixed only that and it's been going strong for the three races since.

Tyrannosullyrex wrote:
Stang Man wrote:

the coolant seals let go

Same thing happened to us the first race at MSR.  We fixed only that and it's been going strong for the three races since.

Pistols for Pandas gang?  If so, had fun hanging out and learning more about the RX-7's, thanks for the help and the beer!

Arron

Stang Man wrote:
Tyrannosullyrex wrote:
Stang Man wrote:

the coolant seals let go

Pistols for Pandas gang?  If so, had fun hanging out and learning more about the RX-7's, thanks for the help and the beer!

Arron

Yep.