Topic: GoPro HD

Having trouble editing these MP4 clips from MSR. Too long for youtube. What is the best FREE software to use?

Re: GoPro HD

For MP4, I don't know that there is a free solution.
You could use Handbrake to convert them to WMVs, which would then be editable by Windows Movie Maker...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Thanks ronman. If not free then what should I buy?

Vegas Movie Studio is a good option for the PC user. Its pretty easy to use and still has some advanced options.

I really don't know much about consumer-type editing software. I use Canopus Edius and Adobe Premiere Pro when I edit stuff...

I used a freeware app called Quick Media Converter to convert one of those MP4s to .WMV format, at which point I was able to open it in Windows Movie Maker and do some editing. I'm pretty sure iMovie can handle MP4 as-is, but I haven't fired up my OSX box to test yet.

7 (edited by Serj 2010-02-24 10:15 PM)

I really enjoyed using the Microsoft Expression Encoder 3. It has a 30-day trial on it for full-blown, then it dumbs down to the 'express' version after that (i think the express version limits something but i never dug deeply enough into it to find out)

If nothing else, give it a try. you love it enough, it's relatively cheap. the best part is it's basic design is setup for doing dynamic streaming media for Silverlight, so if you are/have a teammate who's a website nerd, it'd make some very adaptable content.

Please tell me you have the mustang wreck?

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

Thanks everone for your help. Sorry I had just finished my stint when it happened and my replacement got stuck on the grid. They really should have shut off the lap counter while they cleand that up. they sure took their swet time doing it. The black mustang with no rear deck really had some bad manners. Was that the car involved that didn't flip?

MurileeMartin wrote:

I used a freeware app called Quick Media Converter to convert one of those MP4s to .WMV format, at which point I was able to open it in Windows Movie Maker and do some editing. I'm pretty sure iMovie can handle MP4 as-is, but I haven't fired up my OSX box to test yet.

There's hope for you yet wink

Video works and looks good on my new 27" quad core i7 Oled imac smile

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

has anyone had luck with the GoPro suction cup mounts? we plan on using that on the exterior glass of the car with a tether on the camera in case it decides to pop off...

Leave it inside the glass. Racing throws all kinds of shit up and if you value having a non-pitted lens, you'll want it inside.

djsupersoul wrote:

has anyone had luck with the GoPro suction cup mounts? we plan on using that on the exterior glass of the car with a tether on the camera in case it decides to pop off...

I did that and had one facing rear off the top of the windshield, it worked great and stayed on all day, even through our little mud/water bogging incident at Phoenix.

inside is good advice. I think we are planning on keeping the rear hatch glass, so that allows us a good mounting point!