Topic: Abandoned Vehicles?

Hell, my name is Ryan and I was wondering if anyone here knows what you have to do to get (buy?) an abandoned car. I used the search function but nothing specific came up.

There is an late 80's Lincoln Mk VII in my apartment complex that has been sitting on 4 flat tires and a deflated suspension for about 8 months now. This I believe would be a perfect Lemons candidate "if" I can get the car.

I haven't done anything yet. I am going to try and see if I can contact the owner, but supposing that they are MIA, what other options do I have? I would like to approach my land lady with a plan for removing this hulk before I mention anything to her about it. Maybe she might know how to get in touch with the previous owner, I don't know yet.

I guess in short, what do you do if the owner is MIA and you want the car and/or its parts? Are there any websites detailing this? State Agency's that I can call? Hook a chain to it and drag it away with my truck? Any idea would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Abandoned Vehicles?

Where are you, ie what state?

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

doctawife wrote:

Where are you, ie what state?

Seattle, Washington

In Texas, I think the Police would have to impound it and you would buy it at auction. 

Otherwise, track down the owner.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Not positive what the laws are where you are, but generally, unless its on your property you can't make a claim on the car.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

6 (edited by Jer 2010-02-28 06:56 PM)

For a while I watched a similar car, only it was an old AMC Pacer with woodie panels.  Stunning.  But I have too many cars as is.   

I don't think there is a LEGAL way to get it...sorry.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Just put a big sign on it; "I want to buy this car"

Add your name, phone number & Social Security Number!!

Yeah baby!
#47 Impreza:  2009 Lamest Day; 3rd / 2010 Capital Offense; 4th (with a blown head gasket) / 2010 New England something or another; 60 somethingth, f'n wheel bearing / 2010 Lemons Fall South 77th out a 101 - all 10 feet shot off! Then there was Miami...

the complex would have to attach a lein to the car. after 30 days they would own it, if the original owner/s don't show up. then they can do whatever they want with it. like sell or give it to you so you can remove it from their property.

much like a mechnics lein. but that's texas law. how bout you talk to a shop. they might help you with info. or the local dmv office.........

I'm in california.  Here it is similar to what forddragracer said.  I suspect that the apartment management knows how to do this.  They've probably done it before and likely know whose car it is.

I got my Lemons car by a similar route.  It was abandoned on property I own.  I paid a lawyer to draft the paperwork for me.  It cost me $85 (actually, I got 10 cars for the cost of two filings which cost $170).  Anyway.

Here you post a legal notice on the vehicle that basically says remove this by X date or it's mine.  In our case we knew who the owner was.  So we sent a notice to his last known address as well.  I believe the lawyer also called the police so that they'd log that we had posed a notice of abandonment.  Keep copies of everything.  When the time elapsed it was ours.  I believe if the vehicle is worth more than a certain $ amount then a more rigorous method applies.  Anyway, our method gives us the car but with no title.  It can't be registered for the road.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

squidbreath wrote:

I'm in california.  Here it is similar to what forddragracer said.  I suspect that the apartment management knows how to do this.  They've probably done it before and likely know whose car it is.

I got my Lemons car by a similar route.  It was abandoned on property I own.  I paid a lawyer to draft the paperwork for me.  It cost me $85 (actually, I got 10 cars for the cost of two filings which cost $170).  Anyway.

Here you post a legal notice on the vehicle that basically says remove this by X date or it's mine.  In our case we knew who the owner was.  So we sent a notice to his last known address as well.  I believe the lawyer also called the police so that they'd log that we had posed a notice of abandonment.  Keep copies of everything.  When the time elapsed it was ours.  I believe if the vehicle is worth more than a certain $ amount then a more rigorous method applies.  Anyway, our method gives us the car but with no title.  It can't be registered for the road.

in texas if a lein is attached thru the courts, a title is issued for the vehicle to the holder of the lein after the waiting period, and the court sends notice of the lein to the last known address of the vehicle owner.

Lemons rules say you don't have to register / inspect a car to race. Technically, you don't even have to prove ownership.

But I am NOT suggesting you roll it into a garage, do the work, race it at Lemons, then return it to the apartment parking space, cause that would be illegal.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

In California, if property is abandoned for--I believe--90 days the owner of the property can legally seize it.  Talk to your landlord about the situation, I'm sure they want it gone.

Lemonade Time Racing wrote:

Lemons rules say you don't have to register / inspect a car to race. Technically, you don't even have to prove ownership.

But I am NOT suggesting you roll it into a garage, do the work, race it at Lemons, then return it to the apartment parking space, cause that would be illegal.

But it certainly would be hilarious! 

I have spent some time this afternoon researching this and what I found out is this...

In Washington, the apartment complex cannot attach a lien to the car. What my landlady has to do is try and contact the owner. If she cannot get a response from them, and it has been more than 15 days, she has to call a certified towing company (any towing company really), they come out, fill out some paperwork, tow it to their yard where it rots until it is sold at a public auction.

I"ll see if I can contact the owner of this fine automobile, maybe offer him a little bit of money, and go from there.

I did find out about these public auctions through my research today though, so that my be another avenue to obtaining a suitable corpse... err car to turn into a Lemons monster. Thanks for the replys.

14 (edited by Duncan345 2010-03-01 12:27 AM)

(Disclaimer: This is not valid legal advice from a licensed attorney in the state of Washington.)

In Washington, the normal procedure is for the local law enforcement to obtain the name and address of the registered, legal owner of the vehicle. Law enforcement is required to furnish that information to the landowner. The landowner then has to mail a letter to that address (certified mail is best) attempting to arrange a time for the vehicle owner to remove the car from the property.

If the vehicle owner does not claim the car within fifteen days after the landowner has mailed notification, the landowner may dispose of the vehicle or sign an affidavit of sale to be used as a title document.

If no information on the vehicle's registered and legal owner is found in the records of the department, the landowner may immediately dispose of the vehicle or sign an affidavit of sale to be used as a title document.

This info is from the "Revised Code of Washingon, Annotated." If you need to look it up it will be listed as R.C.W.A. 46.55.230.

By the way, Washington grants more rights to the landowner in this situation than most states. Hope that helps!

i've got a bmw e21 you can have if you come get it.  or a volvo 242dl.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Lemonade Time Racing wrote:

I'll suggest it.  big_smile

But it's at your own risk...

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I "claimed" a car once in New Jersey.  It was sitting in a shopping center parking lot for over a year.  I approached the manager of the shopping center and told him I'd tow it for free, and he agreed.  The next day it was at my house, stripped bare for parts.

However, I was fully aware that if the owner ever did come back, I might be in trouble.  Never happened, though.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

What did you do with the body in the trunk?

250 GTO

Cue up Mr. Wolf again....  big_smile

this makes me want to get a Corvair and paint it up/bodywork it like a Red NSX.

squidbreath wrote:

i've got a bmw e21 you can have if you come get it.  or a volvo 242dl.

Um, we could use the 242, will you be at pointless this weekend?  lets talk

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Could always find a same year/model junker at a salvage yard and purchase the title and firewall "chunk" then do a nice skin graft.

Don't ask me how I know this works.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"