Topic: Roll cage newbie

Help!  my rear down braces are going to end on the shock towers, the cage guy said that's OK but I don't know, is it a problem?  I can't find anything either way.

The Flying Lumberjacks, 88 VW Fox,
www.facebook.com/groups/theflyinglumberjacks/
Goin' for Broken, Thunderhill, Children of the Sun, SCR, Hello-Wine, PIR, Pacific NorthWorst GP, ORP, The Log and Winding Rd, SCR, GGG&G, PIR, Roll-X, PR, Spo-Crap-Can ICC, SCR, Pacific NorthWorst GP, Ridge, Fast Times at Ridgemo Park, Ridge, Roll-X , PR.

Re: Roll cage newbie

What kind of car ? you need to get rear down brace to floor .you got pics ?

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

it's a vw fox the cage comes from CSC rollcages. They have the halo attach to the main hoop with tabs and the down bars attach to the tabs. I saw a cage question in the forums and he had the same cage but I didn't see the answer.

Goin' for Broken, Thunderhill, Children of the Sun, SCR, Hello-Wine, PIR, Pacific NorthWorst GP, ORP, The Log and Winding Rd, SCR, GGG&G, PIR, Roll-X, PR, Spo-Crap-Can ICC, SCR, Pacific NorthWorst GP, Ridge, Fast Times at Ridgemo Park, Ridge, Roll-X , PR.

You might have to inboard those rear braces to clear shock towers.Isn't Fox simiiar to rabbit 2 dr,look or ask people on forum with rabbits .There on every track.
Where are you?

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

I've done a cage in a Fox.  Having the rears end on the shock towers is fine.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Looking back through my photos, I found this: http://schumachertaxiservice.com/foxcag … 0_1703.jpg This is where I ended up putting the rear stays on the Fox.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

mtbrob - I noticed that you're pretty new to the forums, so I just wanted to say: believe RobL.  He's done several really excellent cage jobs on previous Lemons.  He isn't from LemonsHQ, but he does give good advice.

You have two people says the set up will be okay - both your cage guy and the local forum guru.  It's probably okay.  If you want to really nail this question down, take some pictures and email Nick Pon (npon@driversdoor.com ).  He'll give you official LemonsHQ advice.

Good luck.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

RobL wrote:

I've done a cage in a Fox.  Having the rears end on the shock towers is fine.

I agree with Rob.  The purpose of the rear stays is to keep the main hoop upright.  The strut towers are one of the strongest parts of a uni-body car.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I knew there be someone with a fox on here.

VKZ24 wrote:

I agree with Rob.  The purpose of the rear stays is to keep the main hoop upright.  The strut towers are one of the strongest parts of a uni-body car.

...except for E36 BMWs.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

TeamDFL wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

...except for E36 BMWs.

Ah, yes.  Sorry I forgot that the builders of the "Ultimate Driving Machine" can't even get a simple strut tower right.  My bad.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Ah, yes.  Sorry I forgot that the builders of the "Ultimate Driving Machine" can't even get a simple strut tower right.  My bad.

They are more of an ultimate compressed dryer lint assembly.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

TeamDFL wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

They are more of an ultimate compressed dryer lint assembly.

I have heard that some of the "other" sanctioning bodies have made a rule change to require downbars to terminate at the frame rails rather than the strut towers. We will be tying the rear strut towers into the downbars, but a hatchback is more forgiving to put a cage in.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:

I have heard that some of the "other" sanctioning bodies have made a rule change to require downbars to terminate at the frame rails rather than the strut towers. We will be tying the rear strut towers into the downbars, but a hatchback is more forgiving to put a cage in.

What's a frame rail?  Sure, on our crown vic its pretty easy to tell, but point to the frame rail in the back of an MR2...  Not a workable rule.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

DaveH wrote:
Baron wrote:

What's a frame rail?  Sure, on our crown vic its pretty easy to tell, but point to the frame rail in the back of an MR2...  Not a workable rule.

Ahem...

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r119/Baron733/framerail.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

And that's an MR2?

RobL wrote:

And that's an MR2?

yeah, unibodied cars have rails built into the structure, many times refered to as a sub-frame. mustang and camaros have them, and there are lots of subframe conectors out of them

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:
RobL wrote:

And that's an MR2?

yeah, unibodied cars have rails built into the structure, many times refered to as a sub-frame. mustang and camaros have them, and there are lots of subframe conectors out of them

I think what Rob was getting at was that a picture and the car aren't the same thing.  Actually getting the rear bars to those rails would either involve installing them at a 15 degree angle from vertical or actually running them through the shock towers.

My point was there are some cars where its impossible to comply with that rule.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

Baron wrote:
RobL wrote:

And that's an MR2?

I know that there are "rails" built into unibody cars - I make cages, I know where to look to get the strongest parts of the car. 

If I squint a lot, I can see some resemblance between that illustration and my car.  But your picture (and I'm still not entirely convinced that is an MR2) does not inlcude the strut towers and engine.  Neither of which can really be moved for purposes of installing a cage.  And to get the tubes to the frame rails in an MR2, you would need to have them bent - which is a no-no. 

frame rail, strut tower, and chassis side engine mount:
http://schumachertaxiservice.com/mr2web … 0_1164.jpg

BTW - I always thought that sub-frames were the chassis members that spanned between the frame rails.  They typically hold things like engines, trannys, suspensions, etc.

thanks Rob I looked at your photos how did the Fox do? what broke? can we win?

21 (edited by RobL 2010-03-02 06:39 AM)

mtbrob wrote:

The Fox wasn't my team but they were friends of mine.  Their NASA licensed ringer driver racked up at least 6 black flags.  At one point, that driver wasn't coming in for the black - the organizers red flagged the entire race, the starter/flagger walked down from his station, and he threw the black flag across thier windshied asking if the driver could see it now???

On a course that isn't hard on brakes they went through 3 sets of pads.  I don't know what else broke on thier car.

edit: No, you can't haz win.

RobL wrote:
Baron wrote:
RobL wrote:

And that's an MR2?

I know that there are "rails" built into unibody cars - I make cages, I know where to look to get the strongest parts of the car. 

If I squint a lot, I can see some resemblance between that illustration and my car.  But your picture (and I'm still not entirely convinced that is an MR2) does not inlcude the strut towers and engine.  Neither of which can really be moved for purposes of installing a cage.  And to get the tubes to the frame rails in an MR2, you would need to have them bent - which is a no-no. 

frame rail, strut tower, and chassis side engine mount:
http://schumachertaxiservice.com/mr2web … 0_1164.jpg

BTW - I always thought that sub-frames were the chassis members that spanned between the frame rails.  They typically hold things like engines, trannys, suspensions, etc.

What we are debating is the same thing. That big "rail" under the strut tower is where they want it, and it that is impractical, I dont know (or really care) what they do. Lucky for us, Lemons doesnt require it. If it was mandatory, I am sure a few holes cut into the body that were carefully placed could satisfy the rule, even if you had to build a perch for the bars to terminate that are tied directly to the rails. 

that illustration is from our crash guide at work, and you are correct, it is just the firewalls and rail. And it is a drawing of what the parts look like disassembled, so it gets hairy looking at the car and trying to match parts up.

And since we are discussing difference in terminology, what you are referring to as a sub frame we have always called cross members or cradles.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

RobL wrote:
mtbrob wrote:

The Fox wasn't my team but they were friends of mine.  Their NASA licensed ringer driver racked up at least 6 black flags.  At one point, that driver wasn't coming in for the black - the organizers red flagged the entire race, the starter/flagger walked down from his station, and he threw the black flag across thier windshied asking if the driver could see it now???

On a course that isn't hard on brakes they went through 3 sets of pads.  I don't know what else broke on thier car.

edit: No, you can't haz win.

So you're saying their "ringer" was a liability... AWESOME!!!

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"