Topic: This is Jack's complete lack of a motor mount

So we've known that the front motor mount was dying.  We reinforced the welds and went on our merry way at Gator-O-Rama.  Unfortunately, every time we rolled up for a penalty/pit stop, folks would stop us "because of the bad noise coming from the front."  That noise?  It was the motor mount disintegrating.  Behold:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2692/4393020327_7b83abc392.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRvitHVJNhg

We've got a second option for the noisy culprit:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4393019955_b630e94d26.jpg

The duct tape on the CV joint has finally given up the ghost.  That duct tape was fierce - it held on for three races.  But now, unfortunately, grease flies from joint.  Not good for my manicure.

But all will be well.  Because we'll have plenty of cash once we turn in these:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4393789384_49811fe194.jpg

And these:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4393789600_830ae256da.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4393021865_cf917e9261.jpg

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Re: This is Jack's complete lack of a motor mount

Some angle steel and quality time with a welder will have that core support fixed up.  That, or cut a chunk from a good non-rusty core support at the U-Pull-It and weld that in.  Fun times...

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

widgetsltd wrote:

Some angle steel and quality time with a welder will have that core support fixed up.

That's the plan.  We're hoping to bribe a teammate's roommate with hookers and blow to get him to do the welding.  His welds look soooooo much better than ours.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

doctawife wrote:
widgetsltd wrote:

Some angle steel and quality time with a welder will have that core support fixed up.

That's the plan.  We're hoping to bribe a teammate's roommate with hookers and blow to get him to do the welding.  His welds look soooooo much better than ours.

I can fly in...

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Remember to give him the incentives AFTER the welding....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

DUDE!!! Don't ruin this for me.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

jimeditorial wrote:

What I won't tell him is that the blow will come from the pimp on a bike that rides around our neighborhood and the hookers will be of the tranny variety.

I love my hood.

doctawife wrote:

His welds look soooooo much better than ours.

My team has given up on visually appealing welds.  When Im done burning stuff together they smack it with a 10 lb sledge, as long as it holds they are happy.

If I want it pretty that's why I have a grinder.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

doctawife wrote:
widgetsltd wrote:

I can be available at a moment's notice smile

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

I see Coke cans??? hope you are using that to mix with stronger stuff??  smile

250 GTO

f1race79 wrote:

I see Coke cans??? hope you are using that to mix with stronger stuff??  smile

Yes, that and the times when we started working on the car before noon, I had to work a midnight-8a/10p-6a shift.

I was all in for a road trip till I the tranny comment. Is it at least good lookin?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:

I was all in for a road trip till I the tranny comment. Is it at least good lookin?

And hung...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

we had a similar problem after out first race, motor would jump around like a fat woman at a tent revival.  Ended up hitting the hood.  Took the mount out, burned off the old rubber with the smoke wrench and weld it up to a solid mount. money!

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Jackasic wrote:

we had a similar problem after out first race, motor would jump around like a fat woman at a tent revival.  Ended up hitting the hood.  Took the mount out, burned off the old rubber with the smoke wrench and weld it up to a solid mount. money!

Niiiice!
The front mount will be crammed with everything we can find this time. We will probably also alter the rear mount-- there's a link on the back of everything that has a shock-absorber-like link. On the Margarita neon (rest in piece) we welded that link in place.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

3M Windo-Weld is a favorite of the lowered-Civic-tuner crowd as engine mount stiffener/poly mount simulator- just make sure it has a few days to dry or it'll delaminate.
Cheap and readily available at an auto parts store near you.

It took a hour of alternately scrubbing and soaking to get my hands clean, so make sure to wear gloves...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

what? no use of old lawnmower blades? that's a fave repair of mine off the davesfarm youtube channel.

cpchampion wrote:
Jackasic wrote:

Niiiice!
The front mount will be crammed with everything we can find this time. We will probably also alter the rear mount-- there's a link on the back of everything that has a shock-absorber-like link. On the Margarita neon (rest in piece) we welded that link in place.

I welded our motor mounts after one had completely failed last race in October at MSR.

Still worry in installation though, the misalignment 'give' is gone...

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine

19 (edited by doctawife 2010-03-01 09:30 PM)

Riktor wrote:
Baron wrote:

And hung...

Good lookin?  Usually, the tranny hooker is an ugly man masquerading as uglier woman.  Hung?  Thank all of the powers that be, I have no idea.

And we don't have a lawn - the beauty of living in a townhouse.  So no lawnmower blades, Serj!

Boy, your neighborhood sounds much more 'interesting' than mine.

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Sharpstown!

Most interesting hockey tournament experience...

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

Jackasic wrote:

The rubber in the rear transmission mount in the Brava had delaminated from the metal mount after however many years. A new mount is no longer available, so we took it off, lined up the metal and rubber sandwich pieces in a semblance of their proper places, drilled a hole through the center of the pile and bolted them together with a Mercedes diesel engine head bolt which I figured would have enough resistance to shearing. Worked fine so far.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

doctawife wrote:

What I won't tell him is that the blow will come from the pimp on a bike that rides around our neighborhood and the hookers will be of the tranny variety.

I love my hood.

by hood, do you mean Montrose?

I like my hood. There is no public transportation in Cypress.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

kalpol wrote:
Jackasic wrote:

The rubber in the rear transmission mount in the Brava had delaminated from the metal mount after however many years. A new mount is no longer available, so we took it off, lined up the metal and rubber sandwich pieces in a semblance of their proper places, drilled a hole through the center of the pile and bolted them together with a Mercedes diesel engine head bolt which I figured would have enough resistance to shearing. Worked fine so far.

That's what the mig welder is for, just spray metal in the general direction until it quits moving

1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine