Topic: Pyrotech Gloves melting????

I just pulled my gloves and neck brace out of my helmet and noticed some kind of black goo on my hands... The palms of my right glove melted!!! I mean it just turned to black goo!!! Luckily it's not all over the inside of my helmet... a little got on my neck brace.

WTF!!!

Anyone else seen this???

I just ordered a new pair of gloves... again... 3rd pair... FML...

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Re: Pyrotech Gloves melting????

Could it be from gas getting on them?

what are you doing with that right palm to get gooie stuff all over it?

my guess is umbrella girls are to blame

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

That sounds like battery acid.

MurileeMartin wrote:

That sounds like battery acid.

most likely

Our Mark VIII's battery doesn't leak. And I can't recall ever seeing Tom underhood with his gloves (or gear for that matter) on, either.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

well, it's a 4.6 with dual exhaust in a RWD configuration. maybe the glove sat on the floorboard near the tranny tunnel for an extended period after the race? Something similar happened to my dad's shoes in the CVPI...except in his case it looks like he stepped in fresh tar cuz half his shoe's sole is now up by the ball of the ankle.

Gas is a likely candidate for the gloves or shoes.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

It never sat in the floor of the Mark...

I think it may be acid from my wife's Taurus. I had to change it after CMP, but for the life of me I can't figure out how it got on my gloves - which were in my helmet in a closet.

I did a lot fo fueling at CMP... maybe gas, but I thought the gloves would be rated for that... :dunno:

I ordered some simpsons on closeout at saferacer... too bad they're red... gonna clash with my doo doo brown pyrotech suit. Oh crap... simpson gloves = penalty laps I hear...

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Or perhaps you are turning into one of the prawns in District 9...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Bonedriver wrote:

It never sat in the floor of the Mark...

I think it may be acid from my wife's Taurus. I had to change it after CMP, but for the life of me I can't figure out how it got on my gloves - which were in my helmet in a closet.

I did a lot fo fueling at CMP... maybe gas, but I thought the gloves would be rated for that... :dunno:

I ordered some simpsons on closeout at saferacer... too bad they're red... gonna clash with my doo doo brown pyrotech suit. Oh crap... simpson gloves = penalty laps I hear...

Mechanix Carbon-X SFI approved fire retardant gloves.... WIN
http://images.sabob.com/products/images/1/Mechanix_Wear_CXG_L1_009_CarbonX_Level_Glove_One_Pair_Medium.jpeg

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

One team member dissolved/melted the sole of his Simpson shoes.  They were not gas resistant.

I run a lawn service and have stepped in my fair share of spilled gasoline.  Some soles are gas resistant and some are not.

SFI rates our gloves for fire resistance.  I do not believe they get into gas or chemical resistance.

I would rather fuel in the tan raw truckers style gloves.  They are like $10 a pair and 100% leather is way for fire and heat resistant then our race gloves.  I've never asked and just use my race gloves.

I modified our fuel jugs and they are very spill and leak resistant which keeps us gas free.

I have used all leather gloves to flip baked potatoes in a campfire with no problems.  I would not try that with my race gloves.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

I modified our fuel jugs and they are very spill and leak resistant which keeps us gas free.

How have you modified the jugs?

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Troy wrote:

I have used all leather gloves to flip baked potatoes in a campfire with no problems.  I would not try that with my race gloves.

actually, the race gloves seem to work pretty well.  one of our guys worked on a hot (i.e., right off the track) exhaust header with 'em at CMP.  the exhaust came loose from the manifold, and he either had no issues holding it in place with his racing gloves, or is incredibly pain tolerant.  i offered the welding gloves but was rebuffed.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

15 (edited by Troy 2010-02-25 10:22 AM)

doctawife wrote:
Troy wrote:

How have you modified the jugs?

I added a hose over the vent to prevent spilling and leaking.

I added a larger and longer dump hose too so I could put the hose in the filler before I pick up the jug.

That helps prevent spills and the fumbling with the filler while holding the jug up.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/24hoursof … mp;dir=asc

I'd post the pic if I could ever get that to work.

I don't think you can use the larger dump hose with an OE unleaded filler neck.

A longer hose would still help though.  I like to have the hose in the filler before I pick up the jug.  The hose on the vent allows you to pick the jug right up without gas leaking out the vent.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Bonedriver wrote:

Red gloves = more visible hand gestures, which can be good and bad, depending on the gesture.

rockwood wrote:
Bonedriver wrote:

Red gloves = more visible hand gestures, which can be good and bad, depending on the gesture.

If you're passing they can see the "international peace sign"... or if you're getting passed they can see you wave.

Works either way...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"