Topic: IOE contender?

Got a line on a ~64 benz sedan. Thinking about stabbing a 300i6 in there, possibly with a camaro clip so we can actually get brakes for it and try to be safe.

Would an abortion like this be a contender for IOE?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Re: IOE contender?

i think anything made before 1982 is an IOE contender if it runs the whole race. bonus points if it does well.

Serj wrote:

i think anything made before 1982 is an IOE contender if it runs the whole race. bonus points if it does well.

So does the IOE winner now have to finish the race?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

The IOE is still doing the most with the least.  There's no requirement to finish the race, just outperform the other POS cars.  Right?

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

The IOE is still doing the most with the least.  There's no requirement to finish the race, just outperform the other POS cars.  Right?

That's what I thought... but after Troy setting the bar by actually finishing...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

The Corvair finished the race in Stafford last year.  They did the most with the least.  We had a much leaster car in the Craptation, but we only got 87 laps in.  We didn't do as much with our least LOL.  Or maybe we did.  ugh

Maybe a judge will chime in, but for Stafford there were 3-4 cars identified, and it was almost like a 2nd race amongst those cars.  For other races it hasn't been that clear cut.

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

The Corvair finished the race in Stafford last year.  They did the most with the least.  We had a much leaster car in the Craptation, but we only got 87 laps in.  We didn't do as much with our least LOL.  Or maybe we did.  ugh

You're claiming that an '84 Citation is a WORSE car than a '63 Corvair?  Are you high?

unsafe_jake wrote:
Jer wrote:

You're claiming that an '84 Citation is a WORSE car than a '63 Corvair?  Are you high?

Not to get into a pissing match here, but did the Corvair catch on fire three times in its first 87 laps?  To make it even better, I believe two of the three causes were things GM actually recalled the car for.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

I'm sure da judges will comment.....but the whole purpose of IOE is car that is most unlikely to finish 1 lap that actually finishes a bunch of laps and typically is fairly highly placed at the end of the race!!   

Being an old rare car with killer theme always helps too

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I think we may have our work cut out for us. Floors are functionally gone, who knows what the frame/brakes/steering/running gear look like.

Rockers are even toast. I think the only way to do this would have to be on a frame from something else: ranger, s10, caprice, crown vic???

From the guy giving it to me;6118976 wrote:

Sorry it has taken so long. Night time pics are all I can get in for time being. If you need daytime pics, then it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

They just need it gone, but would like to see some pics after you have built it. I took pics of the bad side. The interior is still in there. It was set on bricks to keep it from laying completely in the dirt all this time, but I'm certain the frame is junk by now. I did notice some rather large holes in the floor pans. I think I had the year wrong, though. It's close, but I couldn't find a build plate.

Without further ado...

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa30/muffrazr_bucket/Mobile%20Uploads/media1.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa30/muffrazr_bucket/Mobile%20Uploads/media1-1.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa30/muffrazr_bucket/Mobile%20Uploads/media1-2.jpg

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

All I can say from the pics is that it's from '59 to '64, and it's a six-cylinder car; the longer front end means you'll have more room for an engine swap.  These cars are unibodies with subframes holding the front and rear suspensions, so if the rockers and floors are rusted away, so is most of the original structure.  I'm sure you could bring back some of the "fintail's" famous, rally-winning structural strength with some patching and a big, bad roll cage, but you might be better off putting the body on some other frame.  As much as the Benz enthusiast in me hates to admit it, a fintail body channeled over a Crown Vic's structure would be a hell of a LeMon, and way better for the race than an original fintail.

By the way, Lemons old-timers might remember Judge Ed's Field Find Mercedes, a '65 190 that won People's Choice twice.  It was also a hell of a LeMon.  Big, heavy car?  Check.  Small, single-carb four-banger?  Check.  Swing-axle rear suspension?  Check.  Column-shifted four-speed manual?  Check-mate, baby.  That's what Lemons is all about.

Armand4 wrote:

All I can say from the pics is that it's from '59 to '64, and it's a six-cylinder car; the longer front end means you'll have more room for an engine swap.  These cars are unibodies with subframes holding the front and rear suspensions, so if the rockers and floors are rusted away, so is most of the original structure.  I'm sure you could bring back some of the "fintail's" famous, rally-winning structural strength with some patching and a big, bad roll cage, but you might be better off putting the body on some other frame.  As much as the Benz enthusiast in me hates to admit it, a fintail body channeled over a Crown Vic's structure would be a hell of a LeMon, and way better for the race than an original fintail.

By the way, Lemons old-timers might remember Judge Ed's Field Find Mercedes, a '65 190 that won People's Choice twice.  It was also a hell of a LeMon.  Big, heavy car?  Check.  Small, single-carb four-banger?  Check.  Swing-axle rear suspension?  Check.  Column-shifted four-speed manual?  Check-mate, baby.  That's what Lemons is all about.

I've done a bit of google-n and found that one, it is cool to say the least.

I know of a ranger that I might be able to swindle from an old friend, 4cyl 5spd and all. What could possibly go wrong?

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

unsafe_jake wrote:
Jer wrote:

If Jer won't say it, I will. 

It's not entirely about the base car.  The Corvair team stretched the "$500" they could use on the car beyond what I would have thought possible.  Not saying they cheated but I think that I could feed my family of 4 for a year for the "$500" that they spent on that car.  On the start line, the Corvair was a much much better car than the Citation.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Armand4 wrote:

I got a 1984 Chevy Corvette frame for sale...

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:
Armand4 wrote:

Ill give $200 cash, a 12 pack of Miller High life in Cammo tall boy cans, and a handfull of pocket lint.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:
Riktor wrote:
Armand4 wrote:

Ill give $200 cash, a 12 pack of Miller High life in Cammo tall boy cans, and a handfull of pocket lint.

I was going to say yes but you insult me with bad beer. JK... Sent a PM.

Sons of STIG

17 (edited by Jer 2010-03-05 04:45 PM)

RobL wrote:
unsafe_jake wrote:
Jer wrote:

If Jer won't say it, I will. 

It's not entirely about the base car.  The Corvair team stretched the "$500" they could use on the car beyond what I would have thought possible.  Not saying they cheated but I think that I could feed my family of 4 for a year for the "$500" that they spent on that car.  On the start line, the Corvair was a much much better car than the Citation.

I was out of town and didn't follow this thread.  Jake-we are on the official Wall of Blame for various reasons, one of which is we brought, and I quote from the PTB (Jay and team), " the worst Lemons car ever seen—a primered Citation X11."  You had to see it to believe how bad it was. 

You don't follow this series much, eh?

And that Mercedes has IOE candidate written all over it...