Topic: Average speed on the track.

Hello all. complete newbie here considering making the jump from Demolition derby to Lemons Racing.

My first question is, what kind of speed are these races usually run at? I know each track is different and this is kind of a stupid question, but i figure i need to start somewhere.

2 (edited by Lemonade Time Racing 2010-03-03 06:24 AM)

Re: Average speed on the track.

witch track will you run?
MSR Houston gets a average speed of <75

And just to be sure...

TheW123man wrote:

Hello all. complete newbie here considering making the jump from Demolition derby to Lemons Racing.

you do know this is non-contact racing?
That was like saying you are an curling player that is going to figure skate
they both involve ice, but...

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

"hay I went to a demolition derby the other day and a Lemons race broke out"

Thinking of doing the Arse Freeze Apalooza In Buttonwillow sometime in the future.
I am fully aware that this is a non contact race. Having done well in Derby, i would like to broaden my horizons and try something new.

5 (edited by sergio 2010-03-02 05:50 AM)

We see about 100 top speed at both MSRH and NPR. I think our average lap speed was 70 last time.

Any guess about the average speed at Stafford Springs?

JWR991 wrote:

53-57 mph thats average speed....top speed will higher.

JWR991 wrote:

top speed maybe 80 with an average of about 50 from why i can recall

sergio wrote:

We see about 100 top speed at both MSRH and NPR. I think our average lap speed was 70 last time.

We had a top speed of about 100 at MSR, our average lap at MSR was 57 I think. The average was not helped by the rain.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Our speedo is busted, but we estimate that top speeds at Buttonwillow were around 100-110.  This was pretty common on all west coast tracks (except Pheonix). 

You'll be going a little faster than your typical demo derby.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

yeah, just think "highway speeds" average around most tracks. I believe ITB class speeds for a given track are roughly what we run. I've heard a few reports of hitting triple digits at CMP, so just look at the straights on the given track, and if they're more than 2,000ft then it's safe to say you'll get some pretty fast speeds if your car can get past 40mph

The Killer Bee hit 90 once or twice on the straight @ T-Hill when the wind shifted. Most other cars were faster. I'm sure even a Sunbeam Alpine could hit 80.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Serj wrote:

yeah, just think "highway speeds" average around most tracks. I believe ITB class speeds for a given track are roughly what we run. I've heard a few reports of hitting triple digits at CMP, so just look at the straights on the given track, and if they're more than 2,000ft then it's safe to say you'll get some pretty fast speeds if your car can get past 40mph

2nd that.... I run ITA in my "other" racing life, and at the tracks I like  in the mid-west average speeds are in the 75mph range...

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

We hit 90 at CMP, so I'm sure some of the faster cars were in triple digits.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

The Killer Bee hit 90 once or twice on the straight @ T-Hill when the wind shifted. Most other cars were faster. I'm sure even a Sunbeam Alpine could hit 80.

Not with all those nickels weighing it down!!

Back to speeds....it all depends on the track and your car.....for example the 928 Estate and V8olvo could both hit around 110mph on the main straight at Thunderhill....that was on the high end....the slowest corners are around 45mph....average lap speed varies from say 72mph to a qualifing lap of maybe 80mph....  I think Buttonwillow is slightly faster.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

At Thunderhill, based on my rough calculations, some of the fast Lemons cars can average in excess or 75 mph, probably hitting upwards of 110 on the front straight.

Paul, aka BuFord Hogswaller:  Team Captain, Team Bavarian Ranchero and Team Pink Lloyd

The Cavalier would do 110 at Thunderhill, but our lap times suffered from the too-long left axle, which limited our ability to do fast right turns, which killed the drive onto the front straight...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

X-args wrote:

The Cavalier would do 110 at Thunderhill, but our lap times suffered from the too-long left axle, which limited our ability to do fast right turns, which killed the drive onto the front straight...

For some reason I can't see a cavalier pulling those speeds...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

At MSR Houston, our fast average lap speeds were in the mid-60 MPH range.

A 2:10 lap had an average speed of 65.695.

A 2:04 was just about 70.

It seems like most of our average lap speeds were around 60 MPH in the 2:20 range.

I am know we were in the 100s going down the straight into the Diamonds Edge.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Riktor wrote:
X-args wrote:

I second that, I'm pretty sure they disintegrate into a pile of scrap metal at around 90.

Check out our smoke breathing two stroke monster build...I mean imminent failure at http://metroneige.blogspot.com.

Riktor wrote:
X-args wrote:

I can.   Their Cavalier is quick!

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

^^ +1

The X-args Cavalier(s) is one of the most impressive cars in Lemons in my opinion. Shockingly quick. And well-driven.

23 (edited by X-args 2010-03-04 09:14 PM)

Shucks, thanks! Nice to be appreciated. Apparently we didn't slam the door on you guys enough times!

It hasn't been quite reliable enough for a win (and us fast enough, heh), we've done pretty well and have been well pleased with how nice it is to drive.

A lot of thanks to the ex-GM engineer who's obsessed with the Cavalier, and found us the first one. Now that we've solved the 'rear wheels fall off after x-hours of high lateral g' problem, it's been great.

The trick for us has been in the chassis setup and choosing the right junkyard springs like V6 convertible rears and 4 cyl strippo fronts so its as tail happy as a car with 66% of its weight on the front wheels can be. And the biggest rear sway bar (from another GM car) that can be made to fit...

A good bunch of drivers.
Who still get too many 'flag black' as our Argentinian guest said at Buttonwillow, but the repeated lashings and boxing of ears have made some headway in that department.

Looking forward to the Sears race, we've got better brakes for this one- and if it rains we'll use our FWD to the max.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

eljefe17 wrote:
JWR991 wrote:

with or without the chicane?  with it, top speed of ~60, with an (obviously) lower average.  maybe 45?  we were topping out 2nd gear at ~8000rpm in our FX16.

our suupercharged MR2 was hitting ~110 at nelson ledges, ~75 at CMP (but was never running right at CMP).

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
eljefe17 wrote:
JWR991 wrote:

with or without the chicane?  with it, top speed of ~60, with an (obviously) lower average.  maybe 45?  we were topping out 2nd gear at ~8000rpm in our FX16.

our suupercharged MR2 was hitting ~110 at nelson ledges, ~75 at CMP (but was never running right at CMP).

without, even with the car laying down after 4500rpm or so

2 years is too far back to remember back to with the chicane