Topic: What an epic experience, and Mr Hanky was there...

Showing up on Friday to see a Lemons car stumbling though the pits between a Dino Ferrari and a priceless Alfa prototype race car I knew this weekend would be unforgettable!!

Mr. Hanky (our beloved and beaten 280Z) had to break in a new team (3 of the five of us) by blowing its motor in a truly bizarre fashion 6 laps into the race.  The top end got starved for oil somehow, the cam ceased, the pin sheared of the cam gear and the bottom end kept right on going...

When the inevitable valves down pistons up event occurred it shoved the cam right out the top of the cam towers, but hand it to HANKY, he didn't spill a drop of oil on the track for this.  The damage was so benign externally we all thought the fuel pump or distributer had crapped out cause the engine still turned over.  Removing the valve cover showed a slightly different story, so the newbies got the real Lemons experience with a Chinese fire drill engine swap that we completed in less than 3 hours from being dropped off the flatbed.

Subsequent to this the car ran great on the spare motor (the one we scrounged up at Reno to win the most heroic fix by the way) and we all got great track time and finished the race strong going from 148 to 90th overall.

Don't think I'll ever know what let go in that motor, but the track time was about the most fun I have EVER had (with clothes on…)  and the Saturday night entertainment and well, um, I’m sure there was a good bit of the other fun going on that night…

Add the concourse and the normal black flag mayhem it was sensory overload for sure.

Hope we were entertaining as usually with our frantic engine swap antics and those that saw it appreciated the cam bowed boat anchor of a motor we left out for viewing pleasure. If someone has a pic available, please post it...

My favorite visual of the weekend was when the wiener took the fir burger on the “inside” going into turn one on Sunday…

Thanks to Jay and all that made this happen!!

Lemons is always an experience, bit this was extra ZESTY!!

Cheers…

Re: What an epic experience, and Mr Hanky was there...

Great improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I thought the Z's were low enough CR to NOT be an interference motor......clearly I am wrong......  That is one thing I really like about the estate.....7 foot long timing belt, 9.3CR and its NOT interference!!!  :>)

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2