Topic: The sun shines out of Eyesore's butts

Consider the following:

In 11 Lemons races, including December at Thunderhill (at least twice), Phoenix in the middle of 100-year floods, and this weekend at Sears point bookended by storms, we have never felt a single drop of rain on track. On top of that, our Frankenmiata has now survived 109 hours of racing without blowing up, we haven't had any significant crashes, and Jay keeps giving us nickels. Obviously the sun shines out of our butts. If things are ever going wrong, stop by our pits and see if some of our luck can mend your sorrows.

Thanks to everyone for an awesome race this weekend. We all have a new favorite track and new favorite corner workers too!

Hats off to F'ed Up, those guys nearly had this one. They were super-clean and too fast to catch right up until they let the pressure of the lead blow up their race. Now that they're used to leading, watch out for them at Thunderhill. Krider ran a great race too, as usual. 15 minutes from the end neither of us knew who was leading. Thanks to all you nutjobs who shared a track with us this weekend. We can hardly wait for the next one.

-Dave

Re: The sun shines out of Eyesore's butts

Ya know, I go to see all three of the aforementioned teams come by us on Sunday... a LOT (about once every 3 laps)! And here's what I noticed:

F-ed Up was often just part of the field, blending in and actively looking for an exit from the traffic and it looked like there was always a car glued to it's rear bumper trying to follow the leader.

Big Sausage came through like a bull in a china shop, especially late on Sunday, seemingly with a more aggressive "Make Way" driving style.

that little eyesore miata just kinda snuck up unannounced and slipped by us --most of the time alone. When it was in traffic when it came by, it hung back slightly keeping a lot more distance between it and the other cars than did the other two teams, and it waited for a clear opening rather than try to make one.

Mind you, I'm no racer and I'm sure my perception was influenced by the differing exhaust notes (that miata is pretty quiet), but seeing them kind of put into perspective what those driving instructors are always trying to tell me-- slow & smooth is fast.

Congrats on the deserved win. And hope we (or is that Oui) didn't hold anyone up too badly.

F'ed Up was in great shape on Sunday, with super-smooth driving and near-invisibility on the track... until one mental error ruined everything for them. The driver came into the Penalty Box with the team's first black flag of the weekend. By mid-Sunday, teams with one or zero black flags generally get the quick wave-through treatment, and that's what happened with the F'ed Up E30. Then things went downhill fast; the driver was a bit over-conscious of his dwindling lead and gunned it out of the Penalty Box, horn a-honkin' and right foot a-mashin'... and nearly ran over Jay and Jay's mom. Whoops! By the time the dust settled, they'd lost about 15 laps.

The Krider Racing/Big Sausage team normally does the sane-and-invisible thing, but their drivers saw their chance to catch Eyesore when POS got knocked out and they started pushing a lot harder. They'd been clean all weekend, so we gave them the "we see you again we're going to skin you alive" speech when the car showed up in the Penalty Box after what was described as "contact resulting from a really dumb thread-the-needle move" and let them return to the track. In the end, it wasn't enough; the relentless Eyesores ended the session with a comfortable 5-lap cushion.

Once again, I recommend that teams pay attention to how the Eyesores go about their business. I believe they've had about ten black flags— total— during their entire Lemons career, which spans eight races going back to Altamont '07. Other than a single running-out-of-gas incident at the Arizona race (in which they had about a 30-lap lead), I can't think of a single bonehead mistake they've made. Yet unlike so many of the super-competitive teams we see, the Eyesores don't become raging automatons at the track; they socialize with other teams, lounge around on lawn furniture, wear silly costumes all weekend, and so on. I'm still going to keep twisting their arms into pretzels as part of my ongoing campaign to make them build an IOE contender, but I'll do it with respect.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Eyesores don't become raging automatons at the track; they socialize with other teams, lounge around on lawn furniture,

this is what lemo.....motorsports should be all about.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

You guys definitely get it done and are a fine example of how it should be done. Can't wait for thunderhill hopefully we will give you a little competition. Great win AGAIN. smile

With the nickles they have they could build an IOE and still run the contender...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

7 (edited by cmice 2010-03-09 09:42 AM)

While we may growl about the Eyesore guys, they really do set the bar and I've got nothing but respect for their team.  And, for us, they're our rabbit to chase.

Initially, we thought there's no way we could compete with them - similar weight, 1.6L turbo versus 1.5L NA, a team with tuner-connections versus a dentist, some managers, and a marketing guy.  But we've kept at it, learning and improving, pulling favors and advice from here and there, paying back where needed - and I'm pretty sure that if we stop breaking, and stay out of penalty, we've got a shot at it.

Personally, I'd be bummed if we didn't have our rabbit to chase - so I look *forward* to seeing the Franken-miata again!

Anyway, this was some of the best driving/racing we've seen in our 4 races now.  A bejezus amount of fun was had by all.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

I've got nothing but respect for your team.  Always a new theme - done in a quality way.  Pretty girls.  Nice as can be.  I never notice your car on the track when I'm driving.  I guess that means you are very clean drivers.  I love your fueling rig.  You earned those wins fair and square.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

As someone who saw a lot of the butt-end of that frankeniata, I can attest to the presence of sunshine...  It always made me smile a little to see that thing pass me.

squidbreath wrote:

I've got nothing but respect for your team.  Always a new theme - done in a quality way.  Pretty girls.  Nice as can be.  I never notice your car on the track when I'm driving.  I guess that means you are very clean drivers.  I love your fueling rig.  You earned those wins fair and square.

Fueling rig?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

You are the class of the Lemons (that is meant as a compliment).   I was at your first race (Thunderhill) and marveled at the work your team had done putting that car together.  It is inspiring.

To see you win, just shows that you can do it the right way and have success.  As Jay said, you do it the right way.  I do not believe that you win because of a rally driver, tuners, etc.  I believe you win because you spend the time preparing and execute (while still having fun).

Someday we will sell our other race rigs and focus on the Lemons series and try and give you a run for your money.

With that said, we are looking at making a couple of changes to our little Paseo to try and get it closer to the standard you have set.    We will be gunning for you at the 2nd T-Hill event.

Rick

Chump Ganasee Targee Racing Eagle Talon
formerly #98 We Each Hit Racing Toyota Paseo
2 Time Vodden "B" Class Winner - 2012, 2013
Best finish ever for a DSM - 3rd 2013 Vodden

Congrats to Eyesore AGAIN.....  I actually got a chance to meet them this weekend, and they are a great group of people....surprisingly not "hardcore" like most of the serious "racer" teams....  109 hours on that turbo motor is IMPRESSIVE....also the trans and especially the 1.6L rear end lasting that long is REALLY impressive...the 1.6L rear ends are known to grenade like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lufW3Knb6hU

"Big Sausage came through like a bull in a china shop, especially late on Sunday, seemingly with a more aggressive "Make Way" driving style."

I only had one short stint driving & it was the last stint on Sunday.....  I never saw eyesore, but did have a little battle with Big Sausage who were driving quite aggressive at the end of the day...but given their high placing its understandable....   

I also enjoyed driving with the Fiat X19....had a nice cat-mouse game with them for about the last 5 laps...I barely got them on the line at the checker!!!  Having a V8 is nice...the bummer is the open diff makes backpedaling a requirement in 7-9a-11.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

I also enjoyed driving with the Fiat X19....had a nice cat-mouse game with them for about the last 5 laps...I barely got them on the line at the checker!!!  Having a V8 is nice...the bummer is the open diff makes backpedaling a requirement in 7-9a-11.....

We've got an open-diff as well, and it hurt us also, esp on 2 and 11.  Nothing a little quality-time with a welder wouldn't fix.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

Well, that's a mazdacomp clutchpack diff in the spec miata, Brian.  Those are the ones that can grenade if driven hard.  But the going rate for those diffs in good condition is $1000-$1500.  I'm sure to be under $500 they've got just an open diff, which is a lot more reliable.  Those things will go forever because there's very little load on them since the inside wheel will just spin and spin and spin, especially over the elevation changes at Sears.

You guys are like the Jimmy Johnson Team of Lemons.   Big thumbs up from the
Turbo Blowing Sharks!!!

Krider guys,  I was in the Shark at the end of the race and I was making sure I was WAY out of the way for you. 

Thank you for the Pizza Pie!!!!

BushWacker wrote:

You guys are like the Jimmy Johnson Team of Lemons.

I am somewhat proud to say I have no idea what that means.

-Dave

Eyesoreracing wrote:
BushWacker wrote:

You guys are like the Jimmy Johnson Team of Lemons.

I am somewhat proud to say I have no idea what that means.

-Dave

It means you all smell like pork rinds

Especially With an H

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"