1 (edited by Judge Jonny 2010-03-08 04:47 PM)

Topic: Judge eye view of Infinion

Like a lot of Lemons races, Infinion was equal parts horror and joy, although magnified on a much grander scale.

First of all, the now infamous crash was fucking horrifying. I heard the initial hit, turned and was able to watch the Cavalier slide (while spinning) 150 feet down the track. The driver unbuckled and the second Tyler hit the roof, flames lept out from the engine.

It was crazy, but Tyler got to his feet with his back to the fire and didn't seem to notice it for three or four seconds. Everyone in the garages watching was yelling FIRE!!! I'm sure he didn't hear it. Then, he sees the fire and runs about 20 feet away, only he collapses onto his knees.

Not only is he on his knees pretty close to the flames, but the red flags hadn't been thrown yet so cars (stupidly if you ask me) were still passing between the wall and the burning Chevy.

Why stupid? Because I've seen cars blow up. In fact, I turned to look at everyone in the garage and noticed that besides me, the only other person with fingers in their ears was a Big Sausage guy. I asked him later -- he too had witnessed a car blow up on a track.

So, there were a few seconds there where I was convinced that the Cav was going to explode and kill not only Tyler but the driver's of the three cars that stopped just a couple of yards away.

Thankfully, things ended not blowing the hell up. Humongous props to the Infinion fire crew for getting the fire out so quickly. And here's to Tyler making a full recovery.

As for the Maxima. I asked Jay about his decision to kick the team out of the race. Before we get to exactly why, let me just say that Jay didn't make his decision until after he spoke with the Maxima driver.

Here's why the Maxima got the boot:

1) The driver (and I was standing right there) didn't take responsibility for what happened. Like most Lemons drivers, the first thing out of his mouth was, "He hit me!"

2) The people that drive the Maxima have a history of smashing into people on the race track. After a crash like that, how would you explain to Judge that you thought it was reasonable to let the Maxima back on the racing surface? Please keep in mind that six of the Maxima's seven black flags (two races) have been because of contact.

Luckily for Lemons, the joy far outweighed the bad. For starters, I got to holler at you miscreants all weekend.

"In Lemons you have the right to tell me what I want to hear. You have the right to take your penalty like a man. Since you've given up those rights, get out of the car and bring your entire team back to see me."

and if you missed the Citroen getting the Index, you missed out on one of the greatest car-moments I've ever been a part of.

It really was a special moment and I feel lucky to have been a part of it.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Re: Judge eye view of Infinion

You guys ran a great supreme court this weekend - my wife couldn't get over the shenanigans.  I'm glad we were able to improve over our record at thunderhill and only saw you a couple of times.  Looks like beating ourselves up about not PUY worked!

Thanks for putting in all the work to make it fun!

Twinkies will be back at Thunderhill!

#117 - The Fat And The Furious Big Boy Miata & Big Boy Metro-Gnome

calpolo17 wrote:

Twinkies will be back at Thunderhill!

In case no one points this out, the AWESOMELY named "Team The Fat and Furious" brought us a tub of about 500 twinkies.

Totally ruled -- thanks again.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Had a great time and am thrilled the Faster Farms team finished intact. Thank you for a very well run and FUN event.
Patrick

A great weekend! Good people with beautiful weather. Marred only by the terrible crash. Here is to a full recovery for Cavalier Boy. They were Paddack mates of ours and we enjoyed getting to know them. The Citreon was just down a couple more spaces and they as well were a pleasure to watch getting that piece together for the race. Jay, Nice job with Awards ceremony, I am sure glad I made this one, I won't miss another.

This race was like life, alot of fun and work with some really spectacular moments and a few events that really suck.

Thanks for all the hard work, especially to the behind the scenes folks.

Cheers from a Cheetor!

I hope Tyler recovers 100% that was a scarry crash for sure. I know it shook me up into thinking twice about getting back in the car. But I still did.

The Citroen moment was very very special and I'm also glad I was there to witness. They are true Lemons guys who get it still building the car Friday night was amazing to me.

You guys did one hell of a job and thankfully we didn't see you too much.

Judge Jonny wrote:

As for the Maxima...

Please tell me -- please, please tell me -- that this isn't the team that I think that it is, the team that has a history of coming on this forum and starting 14-page long posts about how it wasn't all their fault? Please. Otherwise, I'd be inclined to support a lifetime ban. I didn't see the crash but it was a damned sobering moment for me (and I suspect everyone else) at the driver's meeting on Sunday when Jay really got into what happened in the crash and the results for the driver. Thank God he's alive.

Judge Jonny wrote:

+1. Infineon was everything that I could have hoped for and more. The track is simply outstanding -- challenging, entertaining, wide, just flat out fun. Great paddock area (huge and fully paved), fun teams, etc. We had the luck to be right across from the Eyesore team all weekend and not only are they decidedly not an eyesore, but they are great folks to boot. Thanks to all y'all for showing this Texan a great time.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

The Citroen story was great.  Not only did those guys deserve it, but what a wonderful backstory to go with it.  Seeing that old heap roll around the track (and being one of the few cars we passed) was awesome every lap.

Much love to Jonny and Phil, you guys ran a tight ship.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Judge Jonny wrote:

and if you missed the Citroen getting the Index, you missed out on one of the greatest car-moments I've ever been a part of.

That moment pretty much made my weekend. We may all be lacking in brains, but we clearly loads of heart.

11 (edited by MurileeMartin 2010-03-08 05:52 PM)

I'd like to thank all the teams that fed us. The Junk Yard Kats brought us some excellent lunch platters, and the Salame Immenso Alfetta guys put together their usual righteous dinner spread. Many others should be on this list, but it seems like food just kept showing up anonymously.

Team Pendejo Engineering (unfortunately minus the Great Pendejo) had a great time. We didn't blow up our V12 Jaguar, it was fun to drive and we even enjoyed our "Bob Ross" penalties (twice).

Thanks to Jay, the judges and the event staff! See you all at Thunderhill!

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

MurileeMartin wrote:

I'd like to thank all the teams that fed us. The Junk Yard Kats brought us some excellent lunch platters, and the Salame Immenso Alfetta guys put together their usual righteous dinner spread. Many others should be on this list, but it seems like food just kept showing up anonymously.

To this I must add the righteous Big Sausage Breakfast Burritos -- though they could use more Jalapeno!

Also, as always, team Caffeinated kept me and half the paddock awake and humming throughout the weekend. 

Also, the NASCAR Meyer wiener mobile team made some great hot dogs.

And of course, the never ending assortment of hippie-ass junk food from the Sharks.

wheat bagel, hummus, lox and capers is a new all time goyish accomplishment for me.

magnusracing wrote:

Team Pendejo Engineering (unfortunately minus the Great Pendejo) had a great time. We didn't blow up our V12 Jaguar, it was fun to drive and we even enjoyed our "Bob Ross" penalties (twice).

Thanks to Jay, the judges and the event staff! See you all at Thunderhill!

Nice to meet y'all!  Thanks so much for the offers of help for our utterly hopeless crapcan!

Mulry wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

As for the Maxima...

Please tell me -- please, please tell me -- that this isn't the team that I think that it is, the team that has a history of coming on this forum and starting 14-page long posts about how it wasn't all their fault?

It is.

craznoe wrote:

The Citroen story was great.  Not only did those guys deserve it, but what a wonderful backstory to go with it.  Seeing that old heap roll around the track (and being one of the few cars we passed) was awesome every lap.

Much love to Jonny and Phil, you guys ran a tight ship.

Does anyone have a video of the closing ceremonies?  We cut outta dodge after the curse since we didn't have a car and did have a 400+ mile drive with a gigantic trailer to execute.

As always, we had a great time, we had a couple of minor mechanical issues, but apart from that everyone had good time on track. Our personal achievement: no black flags, something that took us 5 races to do.

These events continue to be a blast, and I can only guess how many people put in the hard work to make the events what they are. Lemons crew, track crew, judges, and I'm sure more.

See you at T-hill!

Chotus! Chotus! Chotus! Chotus!

First off, get well Tyler! 

What a great race, we love the Lemons race and enjoy every part of it, especially the penalties.  In my opinion the best action of the weekend happens at inspection and in the penalty box.  You guys make the event. 

The sooner you come to grips that it is a forgone conclusion that at some point you will find your way to the penalty box, the better the event will be for you.  We ended the weekend with a horrendous 6 penalties, but had a good time with each and every one of them..  Heck that is only 1.5 per driver.

Penalty #1... for contact...  our driver got to talk to the wall, while the rest of the team yelled at him for being incompetent, it was quite a scene and funny as well.

Penalty #2... 2 wheels off twice... actually it was 4 wheels off once, he f'd up and we had to put a tire on the the room, good thing we had some go kart tires in the trailer.  In all we provided a few old race tires to some teams looking for them.  Great penalty

Penalty #3... 4 wheels off, let's just say that I fould the oil slick in the carasel before the officials did,  the offical believed me and sent me back on the track (my first penalty)

Penalty #4  (same sesson for me as penalty #3), I got caught up in a 3 car pile-up... honestly I did not see it occur, but there was another that happened that session that I did not get called on, so I guess Karma got me.  For that a rat was welded on our roof.

Penalty #5, (new driver) had contact with someone and you just made us change drivers.

The driver that got penalty #1 and #5 was the same driver and will not be back with us (although he is a good friend) making contact twice for penalties gets you the boot from our team.

Personally I am ok with wheels off, as that is sometimes safer than pushing a bad line.

Anyway the #98 We Each Hit Racing Team had a blast.   We really enjoyed driving the pits on Saturday night giving out free beer from our 4' sombrero, nothing funnier than seeing a man holding a baby handing out beers (so I was told).

Thanks for the great event, we are bummed we cannot make the Thunderhill event, but will (judges willing) be at the 2nd Thunderhill race.

Rick

Chump Ganasee Targee Racing Eagle Talon
formerly #98 We Each Hit Racing Toyota Paseo
2 Time Vodden "B" Class Winner - 2012, 2013
Best finish ever for a DSM - 3rd 2013 Vodden

THIS IS LIKE NO OTHER RACING OUT THERE!!!  IT IS A GIANT SUPPORT GROUP WITH GOOFBALLS, MASTER MECHANICS AND A LARGE PARTS DEPARTMENT TO DRAW FROM, IF YOU HAVE TO.  I FEEL HONORED TO BE A PART OF IT.
JUST WISH I HAD LESS WRENCHING TIME TO WALK AROUND TO SEE YOU ALL.

TYLER, GET BETTER MAN. 

THE SHARKS THANK EACH AND EVERYONE ONE OF YOU GUYS FOR A GREAT RACE PARTY WEEKEND.

PRANCE AIR MOMENT BROUGHT IT ALL BACK TO REALITY AND LIFE'S REAL MEANINGS.

Hey Judge - curious what the track workers thought of the event, now that they've endured it?  I talked to the flagger on 2 for a bit on Friday, and she was jazzed to have us.  Wondering what they thought of us by the end of the weekend?

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

Another successful race weekend!!!  Best wishes to Tyler for a speedy recovery....it was an unfortunate "incident", but it could have been MUCH WORSE....imagine if it exploded....

I was quite pleased that our team managed to keep the car running almost all weekend, with only a slight overheating problem...& finished the race with a running car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   However I am most pleased with only 1 BLACK FLAG all weekend!!!

I also enjoyed watching Pendejo's team "Bob Ross" penalty...it was such scenic mountain scene.....  nice and serene.....

The corner workers did an exceptional job.....they called the race fair and the new system of black flags by # is much better

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

cmice wrote:

Hey Judge - curious what the track workers thought of the event, now that they've endured it?  I talked to the flagger on 2 for a bit on Friday, and she was jazzed to have us.  Wondering what they thought of us by the end of the weekend?

As far as I know (we don't talk to the corner workers, we just hand them booze) they all loved it and would like us to come back.

Judge Jonny wrote:
cmice wrote:

As far as I know (we don't talk to the corner workers, we just hand them booze) they all loved it and would like us to come back.

YESSS!!!

8 time Lemons loser!
Go team Faster Farms! [ http://fasterfarms.blogspot.com ]

Judge Jonny wrote:

we just hand them booze. .........   they all loved it and would like us to come back.

I don't think those 2 things are entirely unrelated...