Topic: big fat head/helmet

For my Lemons brethern that have huge heads, mine is 8 3/8, I found the bell m4 in xxxl is the solution.  It is not exactly cheap, but with a 24 1/2" circumference it is the only choice.  Also turns out it is the only xxxl helmet made.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Re: big fat head/helmet

Thanks for the tip. My head measures out about the same circumference wise. However I found a site with hat size listings, it says 24.5" is a 7 3/4 hat size. My head measures a bit under 25", which they call a size 8 hat. I'm not a hat wearer, so I have no idea how accurate this is. But Simpson makes a few of their helmets for an 8 1/8 hat size. I may call them and see what that number means to them.

Also HJC makes their CL-SP in XXXL, and its about $175. I was advised to avoid them for helmets though. They say it is SNELL approved, but doesn't give much more info.

Keeping it real since last Tuesday!

I tried the 8 1/8 pro helmets and they were all a tad snug.  The m4 was the only perfect fit for my big ass noggin

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

I wear a 7 3/4" hat, but the XL helmets I've worn at the local autocross fit me fine. YMMV

http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/c8a54b6fe010b42fd0a97a003e504790.jpg

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

EriktheAwful wrote:

I wear a 7 3/4" hat, but the XL helmets I've worn at the local autocross fit me fine. YMMV

I use a Pyrotect XL,  with a 7 3/4 head.  Fits pretty good without a balaclave, a little tight with.  I just have to make sure I get a haircut right before the track, or I get a headache after about an hour.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

The Bell M4 is a godsend to all of us Big Head Freds!

Drat! And Double Drat!

7 3/4?  That is a 12 year old girl sized head.  8)

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

bigds01 wrote:

I tried the 8 1/8 pro helmets and they were all a tad snug.  The m4 was the only perfect fit for my big ass noggin

actually the ideal fit is a 'tad snug'. when the helmet is secure it should not shift at all on your noggin. that slight shift from a 'perfect fit' helmet can actually injure you in a crash. this is why they tell everyone at the races to cinch down the belts until the driver has some problems breathing. once you're out on the track you won't notice it, and affords better protection. My helmet's only 3 years old and I'm looking at replacing it because i believe that it doesn't fit like it did when new. yeah yeah i know you can get new liners but it's getting a little beat up anyway.

The m4 was the only one that my chin (which is not jay leno big) did not stick out of.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

Serj wrote:
bigds01 wrote:

actually the ideal fit is a 'tad snug'. when the helmet is secure it should not shift at all on your noggin. that slight shift from a 'perfect fit' helmet can actually injure you in a crash. this is why they tell everyone at the races to cinch down the belts until the driver has some problems breathing. once you're out on the track you won't notice it, and affords better protection. My helmet's only 3 years old and I'm looking at replacing it because i believe that it doesn't fit like it did when new. yeah yeah i know you can get new liners but it's getting a little beat up anyway.

Hey Serj,  drop me a note.  I'm in and around Toledo.

don@thecrawfords.org

"Don't mess with Lexas!"
Former Captain, Team Lebowski