Topic: Crash, flip, fire!, Sears Pointless

The Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys captured some video. We hope all involved are recovering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01Enj8zHTY&sns=em

Scott "Leadfoot" Miller
"The Autosport Lab Rats"
"The Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys"

2 (edited by squidbreath 2010-03-07 10:44 PM)

Re: Crash, flip, fire!, Sears Pointless

The word is that he was unscathed in the collision but cracked his c5 vertabra when  he released his seatbelt and dropped onto his head.  He is wearing a halo in hospital.  Full recovery is expected.  He had been wearing a neck collar not a hans.

Looks like someone squeezed between two cars and tipped the one on the left into the wall.  Was the culprit heading for the pits or to turn 11?  I ask because there seems to be a car that stopped in the entrance to the pit lane.  Wondering if that is the culprit or someone else.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

From what I can see the car that hit the wall either came over onto the car behind him or the car behind him cut over a bit too early. Either way it was a perfect pit maneuver. Problem was that damned wall was in the way.

Glad to hear he made it out ok and will recover.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Ah, so the car that flipped was the one that went between the two others?

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

squidbreath wrote:

Ah, so the car that flipped was the one that went between the two others?

There's another thread with in car footage of the "flipp-ee"... Looks like he was cutting between three cars. One on the right and two on the left. The maxima(white) was behind the miata(brown) on the left and when the "flip-ee" went to pass through the gap; the maxima didn't see him, came over and tapped him just enough to throw him off line; at which time the miata finished the job and sent the car into the wall.

A slight miscalculation by two drivers who made assumptions. The driver of the "flip-ee" assumes all responsibility but it still sucks.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:

...The driver of the "flip-ee" assumes all responsibility...

But the Maxima driver is the one who got the lifetime ban according to his teammate. 

Just speculating from 2500 miles away, but I wonder if being ifb_mole's team had anything to do with it?  Had the Maxima been a top-notch team like the Eyesores, I doubt there would have been a ban.

It was an unfortunate incident that shouldn't have happened, but it was just one of those racing incidents.  Had the wall not been there, the Cavalier likely would have suffered little more that a dented quarter and a trip to the penalty box for both drivers.  They would have been taped together for a hot dog run and all would be good.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

More info in this thread.  And yeah, it was the ifb_mole maxima, although he wasn't driving at the time.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

8 (edited by Mulry 2010-03-08 06:25 PM)

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Just speculating from 2500 miles away, but I wonder if being ifb_mole's team had anything to do with it?  Had the Maxima been a top-notch team like the Eyesores, I doubt there would have been a ban.

Concur. Judging is almost always subjective.

Then again, if the Maxima had been a top-notch team like Eyesore, you have to ask yourself if the incident would have happened in the first place. Those guys keep winning in no small part because they avoid these kind of situations.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Well, after looking at the in car video a bit more, in my opinion, Tyler pushed way too hard into a hole that it was obvious the Maxima was going to
move into as well.  The more I watch it the more it seems way too fast and risky a move on his part.  Remember, the ass of that Cavalier swings side to
side on every turn of the wheel and the rear is very light.  Then you need to take in the front wheel drive aspect.  If he gets a slight tap on the rear and then
lets off on the throttle the front tires grab from the engine compression and the rear to the side continues, unlike a rear engine car that uses the rear tires as
an anchor when the throttle is let off.
   I see two hits, first is a small tap(the Maxima) and then there is a bigger tap(the TR7).
I don't think the Maxima driver deserves such harsh punishment(all though not owning up to any responsibility is totally wrong).
I am so glad Tyler is okay.
Get well man!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

I've watched it at least 50 times now. I think he made it by the Maxima more than enough, and the driver of that car should have enough spatial awareness to know where other cars are round him. The car that flipped was well by that car when he hit him. I'd lay all the blame on the Maxima driver.

The #25 car on the left in front of the Maxima is an E30, not a Miata.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Disney wrote:

I've watched it at least 50 times now. I think he made it by the Maxima more than enough, and the driver of that car should have enough spatial awareness to know where other cars are round him. The car that flipped was well by that car when he hit him. I'd lay all the blame on the Maxima driver.

Though your opinion seems to be in the minority, the driver of the Maxima has indeed accepted all blame and has talked with Tyler personally in the hospital, if Tyler doesn't blame the driver of the Maxima 100%, you shouldn't either.

Disney wrote:

Maxima was already closing the gap when he made the choice to try a pass. Driver knows he fucked up and the maxima was just the catalyst to an already bad choice. Leave it at that.

Sons of STIG