Topic: Suit question- 2 layer Simpson or 3 layer Lico

As the title suggest, I am trying to decide between a 2 layer Simpson and 3 layer Lico suit.  Both are one piece and have an SFI3.2A/5 rating.  The Simpson is on sale and is a similar price as the Lico- not on sale.  So is the normally more expensive 2 layer Simpson suit better than a 3-layer Lico (made by Sparco).

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Suit question- 2 layer Simpson or 3 layer Lico

Mike TX wrote:

As the title suggest, I am trying to decide between a 2 layer Simpson and 3 layer Lico suit.  Both are one piece and have an SFI3.2A/5 rating.  The Simpson is on sale and is a similar price as the Lico- not on sale.  So is the normally more expensive 2 layer Simpson suit better than a 3-layer Lico (made by Sparco).

Thanks,
Mike

I'm more a fan of Sparco myself, but might just be a brand preference. The fabric feel and weight is quite different between the cheap suits and the expensive ones though. My Sparco is very light and flexible, and my team suit (Pyrotect) is very heavy and non-flexible (my former Racequip suit was inbetween). One key differentiator can be how the fire rating is achieved. In some, the thread itself is fire resistant, and in others, its just a chemical treatment (which I fear will eventually wash out?). Often the cheaper suits use the chemically treated cotton, but I don't have all the facts. For sure, the brand name "Nomex" costs more than its competitors. If interested, I posted a super cheap multi-layer suit in the for sale section for a friend who got one that didn't fit. Best condition of course is to try some on and see how you like them, but that's hard unless you have a store local with lots of brands!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Which ever one is cheaper...

/hide

Without comparing them side-by-side, it's hard to say which one is "better" in terms of flexibility, weight, etc, as Spinetti mentioned. The two most common fireproof materials used are Nomex and Proban--the former is special synthetic thread, while the latter is chemically treated cotton. Conventional wisdom says that Proban is less durable than Nomex--it also tends to be a bit cheaper. If both suits use the same fireproof material, then you'll have to pick the one that does the best job of making you look like an F1 driver.

Proban also breathes better, but its not as flame retardent as nomex, yet another trade off.  I have worn both Simpson, racequip, and pyrtotech (my current).  The Simpson suit was the best in terms of feel as well as fit and finish.  As with most things you pay for what you get,  my advice..go for the Simpson, compfort is a saftey issue as well as the actual protection and a 2 layer Simpson provides both.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

I love my sparco sprint and I am told the Lico is similar in fabric ect, the only real way to test the difference is to set yourself on fire wearing each suit and see how well it works, personally I would avoid that.

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

My Lico suit makes me a feel a little too much like the Stay-puft marshmallow man.

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

I have worn both Simpson, racequip, and pyrtotech (my current).

Regarding the Pyrotech, being that it's the suit offered under the "newbie all-in-one" option linked to from this site, how does it stack up against the other suits out there?

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

9 (edited by MikeLSU 2009-10-07 06:09 PM)

I just received my Pyrotech multilayer one piece suit and have to say it is a bit heavier than I expected but not overbearing. I find it more than flexible enough to not notice any restriction when moving about. It also breathes a little, especially when using the "hands in pocket air bellows (patent pending)" air circulation method. A ziploc bag crammed full of ice should fit in those pockets real nice for the Yee Haw TX race coming up. I like the overall fit and the suit is true to the size chart. Don't try to squeeze your butt into a suit smaller than you are...if you somehow get in it, you'll need friends to help get you out - or scissors.

If you go with the Pyrotect combo kit (I got the slightly better kit) I recommend you get gloves slightly larger than you normally would. My hands are big but I usually do not wear XL. The XLs fit perfectly...ahem...wait for it...like a glove!

Team Apex Vinyl, driving then drinking
#163 Isuzu impulse
We save money by only using 3 tires in the corners

This may be apocryphal, but it seems like when guys who are in the Pyrotech gear show up in the penalty box, they get it just a little bit easier the first time than the guys who show up in $2k Sparco F1 suits. And if that's true, I think it's fair, too.

I don't think it has any effect when you show up in the box for the second time. Then it's just game on.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

11 (edited by Serj 2009-10-08 10:07 AM)

I really like my Pyrotect suit. I actually got a single layer /1 suit from before they were offering the combo kit and I later had to order fireproof panties. Maybe it's the Bell Jammies that makes me all cozy inside, but other than some movement restriction (at the fringes of my movement range anyway) I'm totally happy. If you're looking at 2 suits for the same price I'd definitely advise getting the one that's normally more expensive. Money's certainly an object in this series but get the better stuff when there's no difference in price.

I have a craigslist-issue 2-layer SpeedSportUniforms suit that I (got some Nomex thread and) altered to fit. It's fantastic. I think I took about 3" out of the backwaist and about another 3" out of the waist. Not only does it fit fine, I even look like a girl.

Many of the smaller suit companies offer made-to-measure suits for about $60 on top of the cost of the suit. I strongly recommend doing this as you will really appreciate the good fit.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

I've found two different SFI 3/2-5 suits for under $300, and I'm wondering which would be the better buy. Or is the marginally better suit a better suit for the price than these?

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.ne … suitm.html
$285, nomex, and they can custom tailor it for $35 more ($320 total)

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.ne … suits.html
$250, they don't custom tailor it, but it looks like it's designed to be more comfortable.

EriktheAwful wrote:

I've found two different SFI 3/2-5 suits for under $300, and I'm wondering which would be the better buy. Or is the marginally better suit a better suit for the price than these?

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.ne … suitm.html
$285, nomex, and they can custom tailor it for $35 more ($320 total)

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.ne … suits.html
$250, they don't custom tailor it, but it looks like it's designed to be more comfortable.

I have a Wesco suit, and I love it.  It isn't perfect - it doesn't breathe, and it leaves Nomex fuzzies everywhere, but it looks great, fits like they say it will, and isn't pricey.  What's not to love?

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.