26 (edited by Howard J. Turkstra 2010-02-15 06:30 PM)

Re: Mitsu. crashes into Celica

I was driving the Celica and needless to say, it came as quite a surprise to get punted from the apex of the turn 50 feet into the sand trap.  When I heard, and felt, the hit, I thought I blew a tire or shot the transmission out the back or blew up the gas tank, or something.  Anything but get center punched at that part of the turn, because it just made no sense.

Then I see the portly gentleman who had formerly been "driving" the car wandering around, making a detailed inspection with his undoubtedly expert eyes.  After seeing the condition of his brakes and employing what has to be many, many years of auto racing knowledge, he deduced that his best course of action would be to come over to me and so eloquently explain that "I ain't got none brakes, man.  Pedal just went straight to the floor, just like old Jeb Bob after too many horns of the whiiiite lightnin'!"  I informed the nice gentleman that it was no big deal, mistakes happen.

Jay was the first person to meet me in the penalty area and almost literally restrained me from exiting the car out of fear of an act of retribution.  I told him no need for that, fightin' days were over long ago.

Anyhow, the hit bent just about every body panel, knocked a stabilizing bar into the underside of the hood, bent the rear axle, and gave me severely high blood pressure.  BUT, it still runs just as poorly as it always did and well patch it up and be out there in may.

As far as the offenders go, no hard feelings, there were next to us on the viewing hill and they all seem like genuinely swell fellas, just a little inexperienced is all.  They're all fantastic drivers, scholarly contributors to the goodness of society.  I'm sure they'll have their lime green mean machine fixed up and ready to go for the next race.

At least, I hope they do.

Howard
Excellent response!!  Glad you and your celica are "okay".....  I KNOW you handled it far better than I would have!!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

glad you're ok howard. you guys got a fast ride and I'd hate to see junk like that happen.

Stock brakes aren't necessarily the culprit. a safety check and making sure everything's fresh and in good working order can prevent or at least mitigate this. I say this knowing that I've run a CVPI at CMP with stock brakes and they worked great...however, at the end of day1 they were wafer thin. I also say this knowing that we put some HP Pluses on the buick for day2 at this same event, the car utterly obliterated them around 3pm, and my brother still managed to keep the car sorted and out of everyone else's fenders til he could get it back to the paddock. Crappy car? Of course it is, it's Lemons. Crappy driving? definitely!

Howard, I can sit here and hear you say the last two paragraphs.  That is, if you have exactly the same voice as Morgan Freeman and are wryly smiling while you say it.....

Glad you are ok, and glad you will be able to fix the car up. I was out there when that happened, and did not realize how hard you got hit.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

I talked to the Mitsu guys before the race and I think they bought the car, slapped a cage in it, and put it on the track.  It is entirely in the realm of possibility that they never even looked at the brake system.

I've been in a car that boiled its brake fluid on the way into a turn (caused by heat from a bearing going bad); it happens unexpectedly and is genuinely frightening.  I had the presence of mind to pump the pedal and change my line to make it through, but I wasn't in traffic either.

The damage to the Celica was colossal.  I'm just glad nobody got hurt in that one.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

Been out of town. Will check tonight. Scotty

MurileeMartin wrote:

Do you have the part where the dude in the Diamante got out of the car and started wandering around, inspecting the damage?

Mello Kab
1996 Crown Vic
2 time  Least Horrible Yank Tank Award

32 (edited by hrlyTCH 2010-02-17 03:27 PM)

I watched from the front straight with a clear view of the whole thing. It looked to me for the better part of half an hour he was trying to drift turn 1. I suspected something was up when it started getting a bit\touch sloppy-fast entry speeds each lap and no sooner do i mention (to a team mate), "that guy needs to cool his guns with it, he getting a bit crazy with the drifting. it almost looks like he's compensating for maybe a brake issue or something." 2 laps later what you see in the vid is the end result. it appeared to me that he tried to cut it early to try to sling it through turn 1 and 2 and be set up for turn 3. though he wound up short shooting the turn caused by a bit of fish tailing that sent him into the grass behind the turtle/pylons, jetting almost straight on into the meineke car.

glad the supreme court let them go (celica) as for the other guy they cut his wrist bands to the tone of, "that was the single most dumbest thing i have ever seen anyone do, (snip snip) getting out of the car without your helmet on was the worst thing you can do."

Jay approaches the cluster of bystanders and team mates..." If you plan to put that back on the track you are coming to see me first, no questions, good day."

that was just the angle i had from where i was standing when everything went down at the penalty box

Serj wrote:

... HP Pluses on the buick for day2 at this same event, the car utterly obliterated them around 3pm, and my brother still managed to keep the car sorted and out of everyone else's fenders til he could get it back to the paddock. Crappy car? Of course it is, it's Lemons. Crappy driving? definitely!

yeah that was me goin 2 wheels off toward then end of sunday, that was kinda the first sign are brakes failed us as the pedal went to the floor. I took easy coming back around from turn knowing i was coming in for a black flag no sense hot footing my way back to the pits.

A touch and go for us (lucky? yes, very.) got back on the track and three laps later i go too hot for a turn and the pedal just mats to the floor but luckily the car pulled down enough i didnt go off course a second time. I suspect something is up so i deminish my pace and the pedal continue to go low or even to the floor in some turns. I radio the crew but continue on track. i tick off another 3 laps the the warning chime in the car goes beserk. i try to peek over the bash bar enough to see the brake light is on intermittently. i radio again as i tick off a few more laps before the chime/light is on continuously.... into the paddock i go with smoke rolling out the pass front wheel. 

caliper destruction confirmed.

Howard J. Turkstra wrote:

I was driving the Celica and needless to say, it came as quite a surprise to get punted from the apex of the turn 50 feet into the sand trap.  When I heard, and felt, the hit, I thought I blew a tire or shot the transmission out the back or blew up the gas tank, or something.  Anything but get center punched at that part of the turn, because it just made no sense.

Then I see the portly gentleman who had formerly been "driving" the car wandering around, making a detailed inspection with his undoubtedly expert eyes.  After seeing the condition of his brakes and employing what has to be many, many years of auto racing knowledge, he deduced that his best course of action would be to come over to me and so eloquently explain that "I ain't got none brakes, man.  Pedal just went straight to the floor, just like old Jeb Bob after too many horns of the whiiiite lightnin'!"  I informed the nice gentleman that it was no big deal, mistakes happen.

Jay was the first person to meet me in the penalty area and almost literally restrained me from exiting the car out of fear of an act of retribution.  I told him no need for that, fightin' days were over long ago.

Anyhow, the hit bent just about every body panel, knocked a stabilizing bar into the underside of the hood, bent the rear axle, and gave me severely high blood pressure.  BUT, it still runs just as poorly as it always did and well patch it up and be out there in may.

As far as the offenders go, no hard feelings, there were next to us on the viewing hill and they all seem like genuinely swell fellas, just a little inexperienced is all.  They're all fantastic drivers, scholarly contributors to the goodness of society.  I'm sure they'll have their lime green mean machine fixed up and ready to go for the next race.

Good man. That's the info I wanted. So they aren't malevolent... just EXTREMELY inexperienced. Good thing their car is recognizable.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:

Good man. That's the info I wanted. So they aren't malevolent... just EXTREMELY inexperienced. Good thing their car is recognizable.

I would also agree that they didn't have bad intentions....just really didn't know any better...they will learn.....I have faith in the Supreme Court to "educate" them quickly

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I know this is ancient history in the realm of Lemons lore by now but if anyone's interested in the in-car, here it is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zewa1uOejcI

I know this is ancient history in the realm of Lemons lore by now but if anyone's interested in the in-car, here it is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zewa1uOejcI

I know absolutely zip about racing, but just from the perspective of vehicle control that grip strikes me as perhaps not the best method of interacting with the steering wheel.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

yeah, I cringed when I saw that too.  We removed the power steering and as stiff as it is, I felt at the time that's the best way to get the most control out of the car.  But after seeing that video, I ain't driving it like that again.

yeah, I cringed when I saw that too.  We removed the power steering and as stiff as it is, I felt at the time that's the best way to get the most control out of the car.  But after seeing that video, I ain't driving it like that again.

You gain more control by using both hands on the wheel.  Unless you are actually shifting both hands should always be on the wheel.  Yes, even between a series of upshifts on the straight-a-way.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!