Topic: Quick Disconnect

Who has one for their steering wheel?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Re: Quick Disconnect

We've got one for our team to make it easier to get into the car and get belted up.  It also will help with getting out of the car in the event of a fire.  Since we are driving a Pinto variant, I just jinxed our team.
The one we have is a hex design but Capital Motorsports has a pretty good deal on a splined quick disconnect.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Lemonious Monk wrote:

We've got one for our team to make it easier to get into the car and get belted up.  It also will help with getting out of the car in the event of a fire.  Since we are driving a Pinto variant, I just jinxed our team.
The one we have is a hex design but Capital Motorsports has a pretty good deal on a splined quick disconnect.

LOL... thanks for the heads up. We are in a Fiero so we are right there with you in regards to Fire...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

We have one from VAC Motorsports. We attached it to a flat-bottom NRG wheel which allowed our taller drivers to finally be able to heel-toe without hitting the bottom of the steering wheel. (The wheel was a pretty good deal @ around $90)

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Stee … ring+wheel

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s … ogId=10002

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

6 (edited by the head 2010-03-05 03:14 PM)

We have used one for a few cars, currently installed in the 914 works great to get in and out for us larger lads

We use a works bell with the flipper

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

We are running a Wilwood unit. Pretty nice piece with a positive feeling when it locks. Plus I just like Wilwood stuff, and it matches the pedals.

Keeping it real since last Tuesday!

http://www.daymotorsports.com/product/3 … K-RELEASES

Twisted Minis wrote:

We are running a Wilwood unit. Pretty nice piece with a positive feeling when it locks. Plus I just like Wilwood stuff, and it matches the pedals.

That's what matters most. Right? big_smile

Sons of STIG

Lemonious Monk wrote:

It also will help with getting out of the car in the event of a fire.

I've been in a car-b-que, and it's amazing how fast you'll get out of one.  Trust me, you won't even bother to pull the steering wheel unless it is impossible for you do get out without doing so.  I'm surprised my fear-addled mind even bothered with the window net... big_smile

We've got one in our MR2 down here and having gotten in and out of that car hundreds of times with the steering wheel removed versus not having one. It's almost a must-have for making easy exits in such a small car, especially when wearing a helmet and all the other gear. Just make sure to get one that fits tight and without a lot of side to side slop. That sucks worse than getting out of the car.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

So are they pretty much all weld on?  I'm not against welding to our steering column, but I was just wondering if that's how most of them work.

In our car it's a tight fit to squeeze your thigh between the steering wheel and the cage.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

st_rage wrote:

So are they pretty much all weld on?  I'm not against welding to our steering column, but I was just wondering if that's how most of them work.

In our car it's a tight fit to squeeze your thigh between the steering wheel and the cage.

yup. use the splined unit. hex types are ok, but have a little more slop with the wheel on

st_rage wrote:

There a quite a few that bolt on too personally I prefer bearing lock to spline as they are even tighter as long as they are quality units.

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

15 (edited by rockwood 2010-03-09 12:43 PM)

Just make sure to keep them lubed, or they won't want to come off or go back on, depending on how lucky (or unlucky) you are.  Ask me how I know... big_smile

We used a bolt in quick disconnect last weekend and it worked great. It is a little looser than the installed stock wheel, but not enough to effect steering -or even notice- when you're out on the course. Makes getting in/out A LOT easier.

My *ahem* large stature pretty much requires one. I was lucky enough to find the  correct aftermarket hub adapter and a quick release used for $30. Added a $20 eBay steering wheel and we're good to go.

There is a small amount of play in the steering as mentioned above, but it's not noticeable at all on the track.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

we use a grant wheel and weld-on spline disconnect. it worked great. easy in, easy out of the car with this in place. It is a tight fit between the seat and the wheel without it.

st_rage wrote:

Look up MOMO Hub adapter. We have used them on prior cars that we didn't want to weld on. The problem is that most are 2-3" tall and with a Bolt-On style QD you are looking at putting the steering wheel 5" closer to you. Which if you don't mind NASCAR style driving position this ia a great thing. Personally it KILLS my elbows. I can't driver like an old woman... I'm am too used to the standard racing position.

rockwood wrote:

Just make sure to keep them lubed, or they won't want to come off or go back on, depending on how lucky (or unlucky) you are.  Ask me how I know... big_smile

So that was you pounding on the wheel to get out?!

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:

So that was you pounding on the wheel to get out?!

Nah, that's just how I drive... big_smile